The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting "feline cologne" out of foam-lined xc boots

Our beloved barn cat(s) mistook my foam-lined T-boots for a litter pan and the urine smell is awful. I've washed them 5-6 times, and tried soaking, but no luck. The smell is bad enough, but I don't want my horse's legs to get irritated by any residue that may be left (and which I assume is causing the smell). I also don't want to weaken/ruin the boots. Any ideas for how to get them clean?

Cat urine is one of the hardest scents to get rid of. I reccomend doing a vinegar soak then laying them out in the sun to dry all day. Let the sun bleach the smell out.

I have the exact same problem with my T boots! Cats must be drawn to them or something!

I've tried everything (including the method Miss Kat just suggested) and while they are better than they were, the smell is still there, esp when wet.

I've been using them anyway though, and it doesn't seem to bother the horse.

Wink Thanks!

I will try the vinegar, but will have to wait on the "sun" part until the snowocalypse/snowmageddon/white doom eases up - hopefully in time for the fall events!!!

Don't the T-boot liners come out?? I thought that was one of the selling points was that you could replace them?

MeredithClark (who posts on here) had an issue like this with her xcountry vest hopefully she'll chime in too.

Good luck!!
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

Default Anti-Icky-Poo.... seriously

Enzymatic cleaners (Anti-Icky Poo available in pet stores and on line is my favorite) are the only way to go. Regular laundering and even cleaning with vinegar won't work. I would definitely rinse them well afterwards just in case the residue could be irritating to your horse's legs.

natures miracle might work- its enzyme based and you can soak them in it. it is the ONLY thing that got nasty cat cologne smell out of my favorite wellingtons.
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

I'd second the Nature's Miracle. My mom swore by the stuff-- and she was a vet with a propensity for bringing home special needs cats so we had our share of accidents. Never a whiff of feline "cologne" as you put it, in her house. Good luck!
    --Becky & the gang

"Anyone can slay a dragon, he told me, but try waking up every morning & loving the world all over again. That's what takes a real hero." from storypeople.com

I third Nature's Miracle. The stuff really works!

definitely an enzyme cleaner, Natures Miracle or the Petco/Petsmart generic brand equivalent works too.

My method (and hopefully you can remove the liners or the whole boot is able to be washed) is to soak in the washing machine, hot water, with about 1/2 cup of the enzyme cleaner. If you want, even put the cleaner directly on the boots before soaking. Repeat this process until when you take the item out of the wash you can no longer smell the urine. Then just air dry, since I'm assuming you may not want to stick in the dryer. If you do put in the dryer though, do not do it until you're sure you can no longer smell the urine. The test I do (which is kind of weird, but whatever) is breathe on the affected area (since heat brings out the smell) and then smell. If you can still smell, repeat the process.

I have to do this quite a bit as I have a cat who loves to pee on soft things like dog's bed, clean laundry, etc. I should buy stock in Natures Miracle I go through so much!

Anti-Icky-Poo! Stupid name, GREAT product!

http://www.antiickypoo.com/

I have 9 cats, have one or two occasional inappropriate pee-ers, and buy this stuff by the gallon. Works well also if the dog has rolled in something dead and then gotten on the couch before you discover the perfume addition (we need a gagging smilie-thingie).

Definitely try the vinegar. If that doesn't work I also second Nature's Miracle. Also, I like hydrogen peroxide after vinegar, and then sprinkling baking soda on 'em (let sit overnight or however long you have).

Going to have to try that Anti-Icky-Poo stuff though, we are always open to new ways to get the stink off after fostering kitties. Thanks!

Default Best New Product

I had a cat with, well, let's just say "issues" and he lived to 17 so I consider myself something of an expert on this subject. (Mom is SO proud) Anyway, I've discovered something even better than Anti-Icky Poo and Nature's Miracle.

It is: X-O Plus+ Here is a link for more information:

http://www.xocorp.com/

Believe me, I have tried every product, I even have a blacklight to seek out the source of the "odor" and this is by far the best of the lot!

All I can say is "Nuke it from orbit -- it's the only way to be sure."

I have never truly gotten cat pee out of any synthetic material. For natural fibers/materials, I use KateKat's method.
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!