The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thorn Song

someone posted on another forum saying that Thorn Song's dead and that Zayat hid the insurance payments to cover up everything...can anyone else confirm this?I don't recall reading any news articles saying that Thorn Song died

These are Fifth Third's allegations. The death was not reported because he was trying to hide the $2.75 million he received.

http://www.kentucky.com/latest_news/story/1130600.html

Photostat of the check, with loss date:

http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/201...filiate.79.pdf

The bank also says Zayat has since dropped insurance on most of his horses (in direct contradiction of what he told them).
    Last edited by Third Glance; Feb. 8, 2010 at 09:55 PM.

Poor Thorn Song.

I'm getting sick of all the crooks in racing.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Looks like Zayat is a sinking ship. I wonder if the trainers will abandon him or not.

Wait, what happened to Thorn Song???? I worked with him while Dale Romans had him, he was a doll. My poor buddy!

Thorn Song is now owned by the insurance company.

i just hope th einsurance company is taking care of the poor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl88 View Post
    i just hope th einsurance company is taking care of the poor thing.
    Why would you have any sort of reason for thinking they might not be?

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    Why would you have any sort of reason for thinking they might not be?
    because its a giant insurance company, not a single person making the judgements...how many people involved in an insurance firm honeslty know whats right and wrong and what to do witha horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Thorn Song is now owned by the insurance company.

It is not that unusual for an Insurance Company to pay on the horse and take ownership. Happens in loss of use claims as well as in this situation apparently.
    Seems, according to the Blood Horse, the horse is doing well and could stand at stud.

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl88 View Post
    because its a giant insurance company, not a single person making the judgements...how many people involved in an insurance firm honeslty know whats right and wrong and what to do witha horse?
    I wouldn't begin to know the numbers, but I'd say they're alot more knowledgeable than the average poster at COTH

Insurance companies have a responsibility by law to make decisions based on profit for shareholders.

Decisions based purely on the bottom line in regards to a piece of property - Thorn Song in this case - sure do not always jibe with what's right or best for the animal.

Quote Originally Posted by slvrblltday View Post
    Insurance companies have a responsibility by law to make decisions based on profit for shareholders.

Decisions based purely on the bottom line in regards to a piece of property - Thorn Song in this case - sure do not always jibe with what's right or best for the animal.
    Seriously??

The insurance company paid $2,750,000 for Thorn Song. I think they'd have a hard time explaining to their shareholders where the money went if they arbitrarily decided to neglect their "property".

I would be in the best interest of the insurance company to take care of him. If he is healthy enough to stand at stud, the profit from the stud fees would help the company recoup the $2.75 mil policy they paid.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsynskeeter View Post
    I would be in the best interest of the insurance company to take care of him. If he is healthy enough to stand at stud, the profit from the stud fees would help the company recoup the $2.75 mil policy they paid.
    Exactly. They were fortunate enough that the horse survived the laminitis and potentially could go on to stallion duty...

Unlikely that he's worth much at stud in this market. For example, I went to see Silver Tree the other day. They ended up having to stand him at the owner's farm for $2,500 (although he may be moved shortly). Has very few mares booked at this point. He's by Hennessy, better race record than Thorn Song (IMO), has earned more money and is still sound (at 10!). I think trying to book mares to Thorn Song would be very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Las Olas View Post
    Unlikely that he's worth anything at stud in this market. For example, I went to see Silver Tree the other day. They ended up having to stand him at the owner's farm for $2,500 (although he may be moved shortly). Has very few mares booked at this point. He's by Hennessy, better race record than Thorn Song (IMO), has earned more money and is still sound (at 10!). I think trying to book mares to Thorn Song would be very difficult.
    True...but any money recouped by the insurance company is more than they had before.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Las Olas View Post
    Unlikely that he's worth much at stud in this market. For example, I went to see Silver Tree the other day. They ended up having to stand him at the owner's farm for $2,500 (although he may be moved shortly). Has very few mares booked at this point. He's by Hennessy, better race record than Thorn Song (IMO), has earned more money and is still sound (at 10!). I think trying to book mares to Thorn Song would be very difficult.
    They could always sell him overseas where he might be more appreciated. Heck Cigar is owned by an insurance company!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.