The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default As bad as it is here, I think Germany has it worse ...

Got this email from Gwen in Germany this morning:

See our German catastrophes here:

http://nachrichten.t-online.de/winte...21693728/index

Scroll down to the small pictures and click on these too. In Hamburg the large river Elbe is frozen and in Berlin the Spree too, ships have to be freed with ice crusher machines. Here its again down to minus 16-20 and snowing snowing. Costs double in heating oil and horse feed this winter….. I have enough of this all.

20000 liters of Milk run over the highway when a Milk transport crashed on the A7 in northern Germany and within minutes the milk was frozen and the most important highway closed for hours. The Isle Hiddensee is down under snow so much that people cannot leave for buying food and the helicopters of the army have to deliver them food stuff. I live in the East since 12 years now and this is the first winter like this, normally 14 days of cold and snow and that’s it now its already 2 months and will be more long.
    Yikes. The horrible rain on the West Coast, the unbelievable snow storms on the East Coast, no snow in BC for the Olympics, Europe being battered by the worst storms they have seen in 100 years - who in heaven's name ticked Mother Nature off THIS much?!

As bad as it is though, I have to admit the thought of 20,000 liters of milk freezing all over the main highway in Germany does evoke a bit of a chuckle though ... ...once it thaws, all of the stray cats in Germany will be waiting by the side of the highway to lap it all up ...

This was a video clip she sent me as well:

http://www.welt.de:80/vermischtes/ar...versorgen.html

I guess the biggest problem with these areas that arent used to this level of snow whether it is in Europe, the UK or North America, is that if you dont have the equipment and the infrastructure to manage this much snow, it completely cripples everything ...

LOL, frozen milk!

Well, the pictures are not that unusual...except...the rivers don't freeze over often! that is impressive!

Wonder when lake Constance is freezing! (that would be EPIC!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Well, your last sentence is quite true. And you have to factor in what your drivers are used to also.
    I grew up in CA and in the mountains there is plenty of snow. I can drive on it, chain up, don't like it but that is the way it is. Black ice, know about that stuff and where I'm likely to find it, in the shady canyons, and what it looks like. Move here to KY and encounter freezing rain and wintry mix. Nasty nasty and a total surprise to go skating across a bridge that looked fine - because of the salt I can't tell whether the "black ice" that my brain registers is really safe liquid or the bad stuff. People here don't like to leave enough stopping room and don't change their habits even in this bad weather. Last year's ice storm was a doozy.

As far as the horses are concerned, we're taking twice as long to feed in this snow with a layer of ice in the middle. DH went down twice yesterday so he walks slower and carries less each trip. He didn't want my help at all - didn't want to have to possibly carry me back in, he said.

Hope that the folks in Germany get by and Spring comes soon (but not too soon, flooding is no fun either)!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

That is very true. Up here, its a PITA to be sure when we get that much snow dumped on us, but we are well used to it and you just simply manage ...

Gwen just sent this through:

Well I cannot leave here with my car anymore, the car is in the garage and the garage is frozen and there is so much snow it is impossible to leave. So every three days someone is coming to bring me food and last time the tractor of a guy delivering haylage could not enter, I had to get my own tractor out to bring him and his 10 huge bales in as my tractor is strong. Looks funny, little woman on big tractor carrying a guy with big tractor and 10 huge bales of silage into the yard.

The funny thing is that the horses do well
    Yikes. I guess its been a few weeks now since she has been able to get her car out. That would be awful to have to rely on someone else bringing food to you every few days ...

But again pretty funny to visualize Gwen on her tractor dragging a guy with his tractor and trailer and 10 big round bales up her driveway as he got stuck ...

Sad thing is, with a barn full of horses you gotta have somebody deliver food!

Maybe I need to dig up my collection og old horsey books and send them to her...about a girl and her fuzzy pony doing 'rescue' for the snowbound neighbors of her
    GNU Terry Prachett

Maybe I need to dig up my collection og old horsey books and send them to her...about a girl and her fuzzy pony doing 'rescue' for the snowbound neighbors of her
    You know what? Ive never met Gwen and I dont think Ive ever seen a picture of her either, but I dont think she is a spring chicken anymore and the thought of her riding a furry fat pony around the neighborhood delivering eggs and milk to her neighbours, is just too damned funny to even imagine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    You know what? Ive never met Gwen and I dont think Ive ever seen a picture of her either, but I dont think she is a spring chicken anymore and the thought of her riding a furry fat pony around the neighborhood delivering eggs and milk to her neighbours, is just too damned funny to even imagine!!!

I have a German Magazine some place she wrote an article about palominos for, If I am not mistaken it has a picture of her in it, WAY BACK when, 1970 or so.

I might have to throw it into the pot for the next charity auction!
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    Yikes. The horrible rain on the West Coast, the unbelievable snow storms on the East Coast, no snow in BC for the Olympics, Europe being battered by the worst storms they have seen in 100 years - who in heaven's name ticked Mother Nature off THIS much?!
    Al Gore ticked her off and all the looney, left, scientists who are pushing their "Global Warning" propoganda!!!

Do not mess with Mother Nature, 'cause she will do whatever she darn well pleases !!!!!

It's beginning to seem more and more like that Day After Tomorrow movie where we get thrown into an Ice Age all at once! I'm not a believer in Global Warming per se but I am absolutely convinced we are experiencing some form of climate change...be it man made or otherwise. This is the most bizarre weather everywhere this winter and there's no sign of it letting up anytime soon.

Don't forget the amazing amounts of precip some areas of the Southeast have gotten either. I think we have over 20 inches more rain than normal in 2009 and we're staying on that theme into 2010. The mud here fails description...and while I'd rather have the mud than the snow up north of us...this is getting beyond absurd. Anyone want a mudpit with a mortgage in SE Virginia, give me a call! Bwahahahahaha...

It's blowing like a hurricane here today (after another night of heavy rain with more snow this a.m.) with gusts supposedly up to 50mph but I swear it's worse than that. Our temp is about 30F so you can figure the windchill. Normal for us is 50F!!!

LMAO I know it's terrible but that frozen milk spill has me chuckling. Smoothies anyone?

You guys know the wacky weather is George Bush's fault, right? Just ask BO.

You guys know the wacky weather is George Bush's fault, right? Just ask BO.
    DownYonder--I needed that laugh---almost spit my tea and honey all over the screen!
    sbp

Please don't flame me for this - but this is what global warming is all about.

It is not necessarily about having just hotter temperatures (but the polar caps are indeed melting) but it is all about new "extremes" in climate - colder winters, warmer summers. We are changing the ocean currents and it is going to wreck havoc with our weather. Get used to it.......

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    It's beginning to seem more and more like that Day After Tomorrow movie where we get thrown into an Ice Age all at once! I'm not a believer in Global Warming per se but I am absolutely convinced we are experiencing some form of climate change...be it man made or otherwise. This is the most bizarre weather everywhere this winter and there's no sign of it letting up anytime soon.

Don't forget the amazing amounts of precip some areas of the Southeast have gotten either. I think we have over 20 inches more rain than normal in 2009 and we're staying on that theme into 2010. The mud here fails description...and while I'd rather have the mud than the snow up north of us...this is getting beyond absurd. Anyone want a mudpit with a mortgage in SE Virginia, give me a call! Bwahahahahaha...

It's blowing like a hurricane here today (after another night of heavy rain with more snow this a.m.) with gusts supposedly up to 50mph but I swear it's worse than that. Our temp is about 30F so you can figure the windchill. Normal for us is 50F!!!
    You and I are in exactly the same boat! My horses have LOST THEIR MINDS with this wind! Only good thing about the wind is MAYBE the mud will dry up!

I can't believe people don't have food stacked for a month or three, especially in the winter.

I went one winter for six weeks without going anywhere, it was snowing all winter, just as now and it was no sense to clear the five miles to the highway, when the higway was also closed.
    We put up all our hay in the summer, so we can feed in the winter without needing deliveries that may not make it.

We need to think like the scouts and be prepared.

I just spent several hours clearing the road and when I was coming back to the barn, what I had cleared around it was already drifted back over and I had to clear it again.
    One horse at the handicapped riding program was coming home, was being traded for another, so they needed to be able to get in.
    They made it in and out fine.

I don't have food stacked for "a month or three" because I live in the CITY, near grocery stores...and I like it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post

It is not necessarily about having just hotter temperatures (but the polar caps are indeed melting) but it is all about new "extremes" in climate - colder winters, warmer summers. We are changing the ocean currents and it is going to wreck havoc with our weather. Get used to it.......
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post

the carbon foot print for that would not be justifiable...
    GNU Terry Prachett

Much of Europe is still getting hammered with the cold and snow. We have been very lucky in that our weather returned to normal. Average temps and rain. I'm afraid Ireland would have ground to a halt if our cold spell continued!

Poor Gwen. I really hope they get some relief soon!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

It is terrible we are buried under snow. None of my stallions can go off into their training nor on stallion stations to ship semen as travelling is not safe now and its anyway not possible to leave the driveway here from the barn.

I have enough of all this! I really liked snow and winter but in a normal manner and not freaking us every day with new snow. I have a wall of snow on my front door that I cannot get rid of any more. Too funny the horses still love it.

Alagirl, the picture you may have seen in that article, is that me in the middle between two Palomino mares with blazes? That would be very old one and the mares Novella and Juliska. They have made plenty of mistakes in that article when they printed it. When I said best bet is cremello to chestnut, they wrote worst! So that is when nobody knows about genetics and they print....makes me still mad to even think of this article.
    Gwendolyn
    http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
    Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabians