The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Anky clinic explaining LDR

Here are 3 clips of Anky explaining her method, including the 'chin to the chest' position. Interesting that she doesn't believe in diagonal aids, prefers to use rein aid in turns and not the leg and credits speed control for successful execution of exercises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5vkF...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtASm...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzBJK...hannellechenut
    Herd Member
    I found this on UDBB. I think its fantastic. Very interesting to watch a whole training session and listen to ANky talk frankly about LDR

rebrand your harsh riding techniue that many are against, then put out a video explaining how it is great.

they really did cover all bases, didnt they?

remember the FEI thinks were are all idiots and by using the new name(which i wont use) and by repeating the new rebrand you are infact supporting them.

watch the video from the FEI - you can tell Mr Troynd Aysmr is extremely uncomfortable with what he is saying.....

For me, it makes rather uncomfortable listening too.

We've removed an inappropriate post and its responses.

Thanks,
    Mod 1

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    rebrand your harsh riding techniue that many are against, then put out a video explaining how it is great.

they really did cover all bases, didnt they?

remember the FEI thinks were are all idiots and by using the new name(which i wont use) and by repeating the new rebrand you are infact supporting them.

watch the video from the FEI - you can tell Mr Troynd Aysmr is extremely uncomfortable with what he is saying.....
    Can you please supply a link to the video of that meeting? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

Cool

So....now instead of referring to Anky as the Rollkur Queen, I have to call her the LDR Queen. It doesn't have nearly the same ring to it. How very disappointing. Maybe Queen LDR will work....as in LuDicrous Rider. I'll have to think on this one. Maybe....LDR = Lady Rollkur. Mmmmmmmm, what endless possibilities.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

Now I remember why I stopped reading this forum. Call me when any of you can ride your way out of a paper bag.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

thanks for the links. Interesting to watch and listen.

This video series demonstrates what every rider knows; that balance and speed are rooted together. We also know that a horse uses its head/neck for balance. The best way to develop balance (which is the paramount requirement for upper level work, imo) is to control the horse's speed and neck position. You can develop the hind end and back all you want, but that alone isn't enough.

Most lower level riders don't really appreciated the necessity of developing independent balance and speed control. That is why flexions at a standstill that the anti LDR crowd say are OK) are virtually worthless. The horse must have balance in motion. It takes a tremendous amount of core strength for a horse to be able to do this.

Subtle and light aids are the key for this approach to be effective. If the aids are abrupt or harsh, the horse will react, resist and be thrown off balance. That is counterproductive.

When a horse can remain engaged and balanced without changing speed, regardless of the placement of the neck, that is self carriage.

That is what this method is truly all about.

Thanks for posting these links. They do a good job of explaining Anky's method as it was explained to me and as I experienced the training when we used it on my horse. They are representative of the work I have seen her do in competition warm up in Europe.

Thanks for posting the links. Interesting to watch.

Here are 3 clips of Anky explaining her method, including the 'chin to the chest' position. Interesting that she doesn't believe in diagonal aids, prefers to use rein aid in turns and not the leg and credits speed control for successful execution of exercises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5vkF...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtASm...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzBJK...hannellechenut
    Thank you so much for posting that.

very interesting.

I found the videos very interesting and Nelson certainly is not upset about the way Anky is riding. They seem to be in harmony together. I have seen other videos of Anky riding different horses where I felt the horse was very stressed and upset. I just don't know what to make of any of this. Off to worry about other things now...

This is very interesting, thank you for posting.

So I am perhaps taking her a bit too literally when she says "I do not use my leg unless something goes wrong." Any explanations for that? Not sure how to control my horses shoulder and hind end with no leg?

So I am perhaps taking her a bit too literally when she says "I do not use my leg unless something goes wrong." Any explanations for that? Not sure how to control my horses shoulder and hind end with no leg?
    The idea is that once you ask a horse to do something ie Shoulder in, he should maintain that move until asked to do something else and there should be minimal interferance from the rider.

Obviously on a green/young horse you need to support much more but once the move is confirmed your horse should continue it (very happy to say I've had brief moments of this is in SI and HI).
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by JackSprats Mom View Post
    The idea is that once you ask a horse to do something ie Shoulder in, he should maintain that move until asked to do something else and there should be minimal interferance from the rider.

Obviously on a green/young horse you need to support much more but once the move is confirmed your horse should continue it (very happy to say I've had brief moments of this is in SI and HI).
    Thank you for clarifying. What a novel idea I think that's honestly something I've never thought about, and should perhaps strive for it more often.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HeyJealousy View Post
    This is very interesting, thank you for posting.

It should be strictly off your very precise seat. The big thing with Anky is really that all her work needs to be preceeded with a statement that says:

I only ride and train hot, uphill, naturally generously gifted (gaits) horses with good minds.

If you put this in front of everything she says- everything falls into place 100%.
    If you ride a sluggish- slowish horse it is much harder to make sense of her statements- not meaning to diminish the slower, more steady horse- but this is what her training system is based on- a horse that is most scary when 4 years old to most amateurs- because it will buck, run and bolt- because it's hot. The art is to convert this hotness into steadiness without souring the horse. Then really live by her standards- which are a very strong commitment to being a TRAINER-RIDER that rides dominantly and does not put up with crap...she acts a little like a princess when she says- I do expect them to do what I tell them, when I tell them for how long I tell them...but in essence that is the ghist of good training.

So- in summary- I love and ingest her advice but know that this does not necessarily work as prescribed because you have to make some adjustments in regards to the horse you ride.
    However the heavy emphasis on having the horse loose in the back - pliable - work off the resistances - is really huge. I liken it to a human getting a fantastic massage followed by a steam bath or sauna with stimulating herbs and the feeling you get in your body after that- total reach- total suppleness...that's what she's striving for.
    To the poster calling my post 'obnoxious ' on another thread- I am sorry if I made you feel so upset...it was not my intention. If you don't ride or can't ride please try to be reasonable before condeming the issue about LDR- it is nothing that can be easily explained unless you sit on a horse that has the qualities Anky is living on- uphill build with shorter back, hot but sane nature, exceptional gaits- and a natural willingness to work in a dressage court...I am sorry I can not describe it better.
    Also DA- I agree with you on the copy cats..that has been the biggest reason why this whole thing got such a bad taste attached to it...

I hope this can stay a good positive thread...!
    "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

Sabine--Well written. I hope this can stay positive, as well...I am learning a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    The big thing with Anky is really that all her work needs to be preceeded with a statement that says:

I only ride and train hot, uphill, naturally generously gifted (gaits) horses with good minds.
    Thank you for pointing this out. I can't stand her, but I figure she's at a much higher level than me, so there must be something to learn. I came away from the video thinking maybe words weren't translating correctly, but your statement makes more sense.
    I found it interesting that she emphasizes the gymnastic ability of the horse, yet never sends her horses head really down and out to stretch. I'd rather see that (like the steffen peter's warm up vid) than her rolly kurrie stuff
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Very good post Sabine. I think you hit the nail on the head, all her horses are very forward by their nature. My OTTB is very forward and I very rarely have to use my legs. He reacts off my seat, including bending such as sholder-in, and I can simply recycle that energy back with my hands to his hind end. I never have to ask for forward. I'd imagine that if I had a horse who did not have that forward-thinking mind I would have to ride much differently.
    I think Anky of course knows which horses will fit into her program and flourish in it, while ameteurs may not see that and try to force a horse who can't physically or mentally take it.