The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking The hidden dangers of a snow storm

So the storm rages on and because I ALREADY have some serious cabin fever I've done some serious damage to my wallet...

I subscribed to dressage training online and I've been watching videos non-stop.

I trolled ebay for the latest and greatest and bid on and won a new bridle.

Went to amazon and bought some books off of my wishlist even though I know I won't get them for several days.

At least the dressage videos are instant gratification and I'm learning alot about half-halt/GIVE! And since it was pointed out that I was actually being a puller (something that I now see and recognize thanks to the replies on my bit question post) I'm trying to watch every video that has to do with pulling/pushing and self-carriage and quickening the hind leg and GIVING!!! I have come to the conclusion that I actually have slabs of meat for my hands and that I need to figure out what to do with my hands, fingers and arms - among other things

I have a lesson this coming week and I hope they are dug out enough to hold lessons, because I can't wait to play with some of these ideas. In the mean time, I'm going to go check out Dover Saddlery

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

welcome to my world. I spend 4 months a year reading, surfing, buying, stallion shopping, & learning... and the rest of it trying to pay for those four months!

That is what winter is FOR. Lord only knows what I'd do without it!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Glad to know I'm not alone in my shopping! It was too cold to do the clinic I had set up for today so I've been shopping. Just got a pair of golden dress breeches on ebay. I bid on and lost a really nice kl select bridle on ebay this weekend, did I lose to you Reddfox?

I gotta get back in the saddle so I quit shopping

Quote Originally Posted by jodyb View Post
    I gotta get back in the saddle so I quit shopping
    Me too! My mare has her shoes pulled for winter and she has rather flat feet and is notoriously sensitive without shoes so I've not been getting enough saddle time with the frozen ground! I've been doing work in-hand and walk exercises to try to keep her somewhat fit but I can't wait for the deep freeze to end - and I usually LOVE snow!

Must not go to eBay.....must not go to eBay....

I did notice at least one of us is getting some exercise...while I was cleaning the shed out, my mare and her fieldmate were doing laps....well, her fieldmate was canter about a 50 meter circle....and my mare would do about half the circle, then break into a trot, cut through the middle and trot until she was behind her fieldmate again, start cantering again...repeat...

I love watching educational horsey vids ! The round pen is my best friend these days, way easier to shovel out a 50ft round pen than a 150 ft. by 250 ft ring

OMG I'm not alone!!!

I bought (another) sheet for Tony along with (another) pair of over reach boots. Thank goodness there's a tack sale coming up - I have plenty to sell :-) :-)

I also decided to subscribe to dressage clinic online...LOVE it! I have learned so much and will also know which clinicians I would ride with or audit Now to get out and ride...<sigh> once I get dug out!

I'm so relieved that I am not alone in this mad snow spending frenzy that has taken hold of us all. I'm bidding on a Pikeur jacket on Ebay and hope I "don't" win it. It is so very nice though. The problem is that if I continue to eat junk food with every flake of snow coming down, I will NOT fit in any of my close come spring.....spring is coming, isn't it?????? I love my new COTH friends and enablers.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

As the blueberry scones bake..Have any of you noticed that the breeches on e-bay are basically just a store product? What ever happened to "bidding" and making a kill (you know, it is all in the hunt right?) Now everything is "buy now".. Hmmm Takes the fun out of it!!

Rather than buy things, I'm selling things on eBay right now. I still have a few other things that I need to list. eBay ID is paint-horse-lady in case any of you still have the shopping urge.

Equestrian Collections has a promo code "SNOWEDIN" for $10 off your order. Just in case you needed another excuse to shop

Quote Originally Posted by tigrrlily04 View Post
    Equestrian Collections has a promo code "SNOWEDIN" for $10 off your order. Just in case you needed another excuse to shop
    WHY!!? I don't need to hear these things - it's not helping the shopping situation at all!! It's funny how you bid on things on ebay and hope that you don't win - at that point - you know you have a problem

I just bid on and won 2 nice new bits - why??? I don't know - because they were there! This has got to stop...I'd have an intervention, but everyone is snowed in!

We have 24 inches on top of the 12 that were already on the ground!

Default its melting outside, but the damage is done...

I don't know whether to cry or do the happy dance that I found (and bought!) the saddle I've been hunting for a year... Well, if me and the mare do the happy dance, and my wallet will cries? Sounds like a good compromise to me!
    Custom Swarovksi browbands at www.facebook.com/prettygrittydesigns
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~