The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Butet Samur?

Does anyone have experience with these saddles? I've heard great things about Butet in general, but I don't know anything about the Samur. How "cushy" is this model and how much do they typically go for?

ETA new question: How does the tree run? Like, my Delgrange supposedly had a medium tree but it only fit really narrow withered horses. Since I ride a lot of different horses, should I go with a wide tree just in case or is a medium pretty roomy(like a devoucoux)?
    Last edited by indygirl2560; Feb. 8, 2010 at 08:39 PM.

ummm i think that there the same saddle. Butet Saumer is just the full name i believe... but a couple of my friends have butets and they love them!

Where did you hear about this saddle? You're not confusing it with the Butet saddle cover, that says Saumur on it, are you?

Saumur is in France, where the Cadre Noir (French riding school) is located. I believe it is also where the Butet saddler is located.

Quote Originally Posted by indygirl2560 View Post
    How "cushy" is this model and how much do they typically go for?
    They are wonderful saddles, very comfy, price range is $4300 - $4600; the calfskin model is $4900.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Where did you hear about this saddle? You're not confusing it with the Butet saddle cover, that says Saumur on it, are you?
    I found a used one for sale online and there's no info. other than "Butet Samur", the price, seat size, and tree size.

It is the same saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Soprano View Post
    It is the same saddle
    Yup.

Yup.
    Oh ok! Great! Looks like I've found myself a deal then if it actually fits!

Quote Originally Posted by indygirl2560 View Post
    Oh ok! Great! Looks like I've found myself a deal then if it actually fits!
    Be careful - could be a scam! Seems to be a lot of those for Butets.

Butets are great I love them I would have bought one if there was some one in my area representing them.

I agree be careful there are a lot of saddle scams out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Be careful - could be a scam! Seems to be a lot of those for Butets.
    Don't worry! I know how to watch out for those and I'd be buying it through I tack shop I purchased from before.(The saddle is older and noticeably used so that's why the price is so low). Speaking of scams, I've seen several ads online lately for practically new Antares saddles for $1550 but the poster uses the description from another site and has phony contact info!

I have one that's an older model and it's just lovely.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I just sent my 10 year old butet off to get the seat, panels and billets replaced, it'll be like a new saddle when it comes home again!

(I do love that saddle)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

DMK - I just sent my 10 year old butet off to get the seat, panels and billets replaced, it'll be like a new saddle when it comes home again!
    I had one that I sent in last year for a new seat, knee rolls, and panels. It came back beautiful! I also had a 97' that I traded in for an '07 and got back what I had originally paid for it. It was pristine, but I looked a little ridiculous riding in a 16".

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

yes, I did a careful evaluation of the pocketbook and though $1000 sounded like a much better plan then $4000.

I can't wait though - it's only been gone for ten days and it's not like the weather has been cooperating for rides, but the few rides I have snuck in between the weather were in this godawful synthetic saddle that takes 2 no-bows each folded over as padding to get the front of the saddle sort of level with the back. I've already planned to get the horse's back injected as an apology, but I think my back needs it just as badly!

Yesterday was the last pretty almost warm day in the foreseeable future, and I should have tacked up the old guy and ponied the three year old down the road so they both got some exercise ... I wanted to do that all day long while at work ... I got to the barn and looked at that saddle for about 15 minutes and pondered. Then I grabbed the lunge equipment and took the three year old out to work on the line.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Of course the saddle is sold.

There are lots of Butets around, both new and used, you'll be able to find another one easily.

There are lots of Butets around, both new and used, you'll be able to find another one easily.
    Online-wise, where should I look? I'm having trouble finding one in the right seat and tree size(17-17.5, wide) and in my price range(<$2000).

ebay, frenchused saddles.com, french-used-saddles.com, cwdsellier.com, antaressaddle.com, beval's used saddle website, fine-used-saddles.com and devoucoux to start.