The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default nasty sinus infection

I have a mare with a nasty sinus infection I have been treating with SMZs for 3 weeks, she is some better but still has drainage, slightly discolored. How long should I keep this up? I have not had it cultured, should I, you think? Just the left side is draining. Thanks.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

yes you should, i had one that was smz resistant..it took baytril to fix it. you also mught want to rule out a gutteral pouch infection, they can be fatal.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Ours had a cyst in a sinus that required flap surgery.

I have a horse with a sinus infection that started in Oct 2008. We went thru SMZ's, Azithromycin, Baytril, Naxcel, Gentimicin (spelling), K-pen, 2 holes in his sinus to flush directly, surgery to knock 2 teeth out, and now, Griseofulvin, for a fungal infection. He was scoped and cultured many times. Our vet was on board from the very first day. If you have had your mare on SMZ;s for 3 weeks and it is not gone yet I would have her scoped and cultures taken. Our horse would improve on SMZ's but the infection would never quite go away. Sinus infections can also be caused by a cracked tooth so be sure to have her mouth inspected. However our horse had a cracked tooth but it didn't show on x-rays. They ended up taking two out but it was really a hit or miss event and they are still not quite certain it was the problem. The vets believe the fungal infecton was caused from extended antibiotic use trying to beat this thing. Good luck. I hope your mare is better soon.

I also had a horse with a chronic sinus infection that was the result of a tooth root penetrating into one of the sinuses. I would treat with SMZ, he'd clear up for a couple of weeks, and then it would be back. Culture results were mixed and inconclusive- all of them were composed of normal nasal flora. We could never isolate a single organism responsible for causing the infection.

After the second occurance, I had him x-rayed and scoped, and we finally found the little pocket of infection in one of his sinuses. I would recommend this approach, particularly if the infection is only on one side. That's usually a sign that something other than a simple sinus infection is going on.

Both of the vets I consulted recommended trying to avoid removing the tooth if I could avoid it. Because of the location, removal of the tooth would have been a fairly big deal involving surgery and some very major recovery time. Both vets also recommended lavaging the offending sinus first, which actually involved drilling a small hole into the sinus through his forehead, and flushing with anitbiotics. I felt more comfortable having this performed at a clinic where I could leave him for a week of follow-up treatment with IV antibiotics. Ultimately, this did clear the infection, and it wasn't nearly as gruesome as it sounds.

We now watch him like a hawk, and at the first sign of recurrence, it will be back to the vet- and this time the offending tooth will be gone.

There is also a condition called.. ethmoid hematoma, and that might be spelled right, that can be very serious.

Definitely culture. My horse needed oxytet. After ~4 days, the drainage cleared up, but he continued to have mild bleeding after exercise for a couple of weeks--just until I said, next time it happens, I'm calling the vet and having a hole drilled, then it cleared up

Extra tooth for my horse's sinus problems. There are small bones that are between each of the teeth that block food stuff from entering the sinus. With the extra tooth in the back, there was no bone to block food from entering his sinuses.
    My horse dentist using only his hands counted and found the extra tooth and a radiograph with the vet confirmed it. Since it was way up high under the eye the only way to fix was to remove the tooth by pulling.
    I found a great vet by Janesville Wisconsin (Dr. Travis Henry) who performed this and the recovery period was very minimal (3 weeks) compared to surgically removing the tooth from the outside (which I had also experienced with a 4 month recovery time).
    Good luck - no more sinus problems since pulling the 2 teeth (both had to be pulled as they were both a part of the problem).
    Last edited by Pat Ness; Feb. 9, 2010 at 11:20 AM.

My first thought was guttural pouch, too.

MTC - glad you got your guy cleared up, that reads like a Stephen King tale.
    HR/MPL Clique

"I am villifying you - for God's sake, pay attention!" - Peter O'Toole as Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Default YUK!

Now I have to find someone that can do this, we are very rural as far as vet services go. The dentist will be here in 2 weeks so I will have him look first. And I will call my vet here and she what she suggests as far as a culture goes. I really thought the SMZs would fix her and it has helped, but not completely. I know for us humans, you have to be on the antibiotic longer with sinus infections than other infections so I was hoping maybe we just needed a little longer treatment.
    Thanks guys

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

can you ship to a clinic? 2 more weeks could prove deadly
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Default Vet will be here in AM

So we will go from there. Thanks guys.

Good call.
    HR/MPL Clique

"I am villifying you - for God's sake, pay attention!" - Peter O'Toole as Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Talking I HATE Mr. Murphy

How come murphy's law ALWAYS rears its head but whatever law helps you win the lottery keeps hiding from me.
    Of course, her snotty nose is COMPLETELY gone this morning as the vet is on her way!!!! Oh well, we'll see what she has to say anyway. I hope the snotty nose is gone forever, but I'll just bet you it will be back tonight!!!

Default well nothing

No fever, no drainage......nothing. Nothing to culture. She left me a culturette and I will get a sample if she starts back with the wet nose but for now I am just going to continue the SMZs and see what else happens. The vet swabbed way up in there but the cotton tip was dry as a desert bone so she felt that was going to produce nothing valuable. She still has a small rattle in her breathing so the vet thinks we are not out of the woods yet. Her lungs are clear though so that is good.