I am just wondering if pony breeders are planning to breed their mares this year or are holding off until the economy actually does improve. I am somewhat surprised by the lack of apparent interest in the VPBA stallion auction and am curious if it is a sign of the times, or if people just haven't gotten into the swing of breeding yet - especially with all the lovely winter weather we have all been experiencing. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts. While I have about 8 mares I would like to breed, I am planning at the moment to breed 4. My plans are the following:
Land's End Adagio X Hillcrests Silkscreen (Gayfields Vida Blue X Hillcrests Portrait)
Land's End Adagio X Boston Blodwyn (Varndell Right Royal X Downland Emmerline)
Barkmeadow Gold Mine X Pendock Hickory (Landisfarne Guardsman X Pendock Ebony)
Barkmeadow Black Gold X Benlea Pandora (Benlea Rambler X Findeln Siren)
I might add or substitute one of the following:
Barkmeadow Gold Mine X Kinnickinnic Ebony Fox (DMS Bronze Fox X Cardiff Colors)
Barkmeadow Black Gold X Fox Ridge Fox Zee (Lands End The Colonels Fox X Zeereason(TB))
Barkmeadow Black Gold X High Hopes Rainier (Mortons Best Man X Beaumaris Skylark)
My foals start arriving in April and so does breeding season up here, so must decide soon. I look forward to hearing everyone else's plans!
I have 3 that I am planning on breeding this year. So far I am planning on breeding to: Farnley Belshazzar, Penrhyn Sporting Chance and Larry's Hat. Hopefully will end up with 2 larges and a small
Also breeding my TB mare to Coromino in Julyish, she is in foal to Banderas for a June baby right now.
My pony mares were left open last year as I figured I would be busy enough with my new baby (who is due today, and much to stubborn to arrive on time apparently ).
I must admit I'm a bit behind on purchasing my breedings for this year as I've been too preoccupied with the impending arrival of the little 2 legged one Once things settle down at home again I will be confirming with stallion owners and getting things moving.
No Randee - the previous thread I started was about pony foals expected THIS year. I am now asking about breeding plans for NEXT year. Sorry about the confusion - I thought I worded it correctly I meant breeding this year (2010) for foals for NEXT year.
I am holding off on deciding until I see what spring brings in the economy.
I will probably try to downsize as this winter has been just dreadful, coupled with the economy -- maybe a good time to slow up.
I have a couple mares that we want to breed and I have a junior stallion that I want to do a test breed; but it all depends on what spring brings.
I have noticed too that their is a lack of interest in the vpba auction. I thought it would generate more. And it still may. Often in auctions, people wait til the last few minutes to bid.
Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service
Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power
I have been checking the VPBA auction and noticed the lack of bidding. Hope that is not a sign of what breeding season is going to be like!
I am breeding atleast 4 mares this coming season. I really would like to breed 6, but as everyone else has stated, the economy is still slowlly bouncing back. I also have to see how many I am able to sell before thinking of adding more to the farm!
Looking forward to hearing everyone else's plans and opinions.
Crown Ridge Farms
Breeding Quality Hunter, Welsh and British Riding Ponies
Youngstock available for sale & Stallions at Stud www.crownridgefarms.com
Rosecroft Smart Cookie by Farnley Belshazzar, I have finally decided to breed her to Alvesta Picasso this year rather than Penrhyn Sporting Chance as I think the cross will be much better. www.daventryfarms.com/rosecroftsmartcookie.html
If our gorgeous buckskin Half Welsh mare Out Past Dark doesn't sell this spring, I think we will breed her to Penrhyn Sporting Chance. We only have 10 acres, so it's also dependent on our 3 year old pony hunter gelding prospects selling this spring. I've greatly reduced their prices, so hopefully they will sell to make new room for new little ones next year! www.daventryfarms.com/outpastdark.html
Our Dutch Warmblood mare that I wanted to breed to Penrhyn Sporting Chance this spring sold, so we will have to find another mare for him.
Though my bookings are right about where they've been the last few years, I've been selling ponies and getting inquiries at a fairly decent rate.... how many/who to breed is something I've been wrestling with myself.
Fortunately I still have a few months to iron out my plans, as I don't tend to breed super early. Hopefully in that period of time I can move some of the "extras" and move forward. We'll see how that goes. I have an incredible herd of imported broodmares standing in my field right now, and only two of them are in foal. It makes me sad. I wish the economy would pick up!
My FOR SURE breedings are:
*Wedderlie Mardi Gras x *Holyoake Sonique
*Wedderlie Mardi Gras x *Holyoake Anastasia
This is a tried and true cross and one that I consider pure MAGIC! Each foal from this cross has been one I absolutely LOVED, so I cannot wait to do this again!!!
Also in the "for sure" category are:
*Wedderlie Marmaduke x Clanfair Martina
*Wedderlie Marmaduke x Clanfair All About Me
Those two girls are the oldest daughters of the first two mares above. I cannot WAIT to see what is on the next page of my breeding program by making this cross!!!!!
In the "I REALLY REALLY want to" category we have....
*Wedderlie Mardi Gras x *Holyoake Sucura and Fantasia -- FABULOUS crosses, and both mares have only had two foals so far. What a waste!
*Wedderlie Mardi Gras x *Russettwood Romance -- she is in foal to him for this year, and I really would like a couple of fillies from her before I move her on!
*Wedderlie Mardi Gras x *Rhoson Bon Bon -- I've wanted to see this cross since I first saw this mare on the west coast! I think it will be amazing!
*Wedderlie Mardi Gras x *Bronheulog Athene -- one of THE VERY BEST moving Welsh I've EVER seen. I think this foal would be absolutely to die for. She's 4 this year.... Need to make up my mind whether I'm breeding or selling her.
My Skellorn mares.... Love their Mardi foals, but thinking of breeding them to *Eyarth Eragon. He is not real big, and they all are, so it could be interesting. He suits them type-wise very well. I have just put one of them on the market though - we'll see if anything happens with that.
*Waxwing Garland.... I'd love to breed her to Marmaduke. I've thought about breeding her to Eragon, but she's small (in spite of bigger parents), so I'm not sure about that. I have retained breedings to *Holyoake Copper-Field and her colt from him is AMAZING, but not sure I want to go the shipped semen route....
So there are all my dilemmas!! I'd love to breed ALL of them, though really that is not practical, and I'm sure I won't do that -- though it is fun to think about! That would be one FUN foaling season!
I bred my Arabian mare who produced a fantastic filly by my Section A, to my new Section B stallion... she is due in November (yes, that was on purpose, trying something out... we have pretty mild winters). Will breed her to back to the Section A in 2011.
I'm trying to lease my two Thoroughbred mares out, but if they don't get leased, I don't want them open due to age. If I do still have them, then I will re-breed Kate's Unique xx to Bur-Dal Lord Solomon, providing her '10 foal is all I'm hoping for.
I was actually thinking about this today---and am considering that I would like to focus on developing both my purebred mares dressage/ridden careers following this seasons foals (both are due march). Both really LOVED working last season. My husband is having too much fun eventing his big mare---so Im thinking no foal from her till she has a chance to prove herself--will see where we are at a year from now.
well we have not had an intentional full breeding season since the foal year that produced Pro A Autumn (here and available in the spring), Carrina (at Madoc) Resolute and Myrddin (both at Annwylid)
they are all big 4 yos now...the next year there were only two...
Seren and Peter the Red...now coming three each and then the next year was only one Cera....the result of David the Short escaping and having his way with the first one he could catch
then there was a full dead year and them last spring we bit the bullet and tried again...
depending on who pops out (many many of my mares are quite old and may be done breeding) and what they, are we'll decide from there...
I'd really like to make more "Event-able" (is that a word??) my Cobs and Partbreds.....I have given thought to it and all my Partbreds, from here forward I think I'd like to send that way....
I have even considered calling some of my oldest homebreds home and seeing how they take that sort of riding over all...
maybe it'll work and maybe not, but it means that I will be going for the more leggy, forward mares (TB probably as I get on well with them too) to put to Dambuster and only a few of the purebreds for a while...(not that I'm not open to special requests)
that might narrow out my beginner market, but honestly the turnover is so high in that market share, that I just think I'll leave it to others to create for
I'd like to make "Partbred" a word in the future that people don't use in conjunction with a wrinkled nose
I have to agree with Daventry, I think a month for the auction might be just prolonging the eventual rush as the end of the auction to bid. A couple weeks probably would have been sufficient but regardless there are some nice boys on there and I would love to bid on them!! I need more mares ! Right now I only have two mares and they both were open this year, not on purpose We have gotten some medical issues out of the way and under control for the one mare and so we will breed both mares this year and hope and pray that they take!!! Two will be plenty in this economy I think.
Hillcrest's Blue Angel (Gayfield's Vida Blue x Farnley Gorse) to *Telynau Royal Charter
Bendith Artemis (Cloe Olympian x Dixie Blue Jean) I *think* is going to go to Cross Gates Larasan in an attempt to get a big medium or large. She tends to throw slightly smaller foals so this will be an experiment. I wanted to try for a larger full welsh foal.
My breeding plans were very conservative last year because of the economy (and my husband) we just bred one pony foal and two WB foals. As luck would have it, we have the pony foal already sold en utero as well as one of the WB foals. So...with that in mind I need to think about how many to bred this year.
I was thinking of re breeding Winslette (Wicked Courtjester) back to Forrest Flame as she only needs to get one more premium foal to get her second star but as far as others, I'm still figuring how many I can slip past my husband!
I'll be rebreeding Honey (by Hawthorne/Olympic Cocktail out of Eleganz by Art Deco) back to Popeye this year. I have had 2 fantastic foals by Popeye. Honey's foal last year got for scores: conformation and type 8.5; movement 8.5, overall impression 8.5, for a total score of 8.5 and Colt Champion at his inspection. Definitely repeating that breeding!
Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
Now apparently completely invisible!