The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Should I worry about ulcers?

I know there are a lot of posts on here already about "ulcers", so I apologize for creating yet another one! I have a coming 7 year old Haflinger mare that I have owned for about a year and a half. She has always been a worrier, but had a pretty low key lifestyle at my home. I decided to put her in training (greater decision BTW, trainer loves her and she is doing great!) She has been pretty anxious in her new surroundings, particulary when taken away from the horses in turn out to go tack up for a lesson and while in the indoor arena (although once she is put to work she is very focused.) She shows typical signs of anxiety at these times - moving around, calling to the other horses, passing manure, spooking more easily, etc. I am worried that she might develop ulcers, but am not anxious to put her on yet another supplement. She is already on Cosequin, Vit-Min Supp, and raspberry leaves which I started her a little over a week ago and does seem to help. What do you guys think? Should I bite the bullet and put her on a supplement and if so, any recommendations?

Thank you!!!
    Last edited by jmac84; Feb. 8, 2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: mispelling

For a horse that is worrisome and in training, I would consider it a possibility.

If you really don't want to add another supplement I'd just make sure the horse is getting as much hay and turn out as possible and maybe add a cup or so of aloe juice to the horses' meal.