The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default eating straw bedding

We just switched to oat straw bedding from pine shavings and my horse is finding it quite tasty. As he has colicked in the winter previously, I am a bit concerned about this. Should I be? (I have a call into my vet also)

Just keep an eye on him. Oat straw, per se, will not hurt him but, like with anything else ingested in excess, he should be watched. Change to wheat straw, it is less appealing to horses. Oat straw is used around here as a low calorie time wasting feed, and green feed (oats cut and baled green) is common forage.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

In case anyone is interested, my vet said that if we can change the bedding we should since my horse has a predisposition to winter colic (from not drinking). We're going to change to wheat straw since it's available. Thanks sk_pacer for the info and advice.

Just be careful, if he eats to much of it and dosn't drink enough water he can get a bad impaction, ask me how i know?

I had to quit using straw altogether because my mare was gorging herself on it. She would literally eat an entire stall's worth and then just stand there, dull eyed, legs slightly straddled, head lowered. It was pitiful.

I have a mare that will pig out on straw as well- we just don't use it for her. She's fat enough but when I was using straw bedding she started to resemble a macy's day float.

One of the reasons I won't bed on straw is that you can't control the diet because basically you've just provided the horse with permanent food!

Then when it's winter and he's stuffing his face with all that extra dry matter you end up with a higher colic risk

I dislike straw bedding very much! They eat it, it's not very absorbant, it's heavy to work with... Just not my thing.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Default kookie

I hear ya....however, I don't make the decisions where I work. I am just a worker bee.