The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Best balance ball exercise that mimics riding?

Well, the title kind of says it all! But specifically, I was wondering if kneeling on the balance ball (something I could do for a long period of time while watching TV or attending a webinar) is a good core exercise for riding (even more specifically dressage at the higher levels). Better than standing on a bosu ball or balance board? I already have a balance ball, but could get a bosu or board easily enough.

Thoughts?

i don't know how much just sitting on the ball would actually help you, but some vigorous BOUNCING on those things is great for abs and thighs! especially if you really bounce high - think almost try to straighten your knees at the apex of your bounce. it usually gets me a little out of breath, too. plus it's fun.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Oh, good Lord! I'd probably get bucked off!!!

Great question though.

I sit on one at home on the 'puter.

I don't really use it for 'excercise' though...

I've often wondered if the fancy expensive stool (forget the name, but basically a wobble-stool designed by riders for riders) would do any better?
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I've posted this one in a few other threads, but I'll risk sounding like a broken record, because it's the only off-the-horse exercise I've found that works the same muscles you use in two-point:

Lie on your back with your legs straight and your feet at the 'equator' of the ball. Keep your toes pointed up at the ceiling, don't wrap your feet around the ball.

Squeeze in with your legs and lift your rear off the ground to form a bridge. Hold for a count of two, then slowly lower your hips. I usually to 2 sets of 15 with other things in between.

The easiest variation is with your arms at your sides, palms pressing into the ground to help you lift. Next is "robot arms" with your upper arms and elbows on the ground, arms bent 90 degrees and hands up in the air. Hardest is with your head/shoulders on a Bosu ball or Airex pad to destabilize everything.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

oh. Wendy. That's EVIL.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Maybe you want to try this? One of these clinics? I haven't done it personally, but a Dressage trainer in my area is a clinician for it, and people I know who have taken these clinics and follow the program said it has really improved their riding (mainly Dressage riders...). You could get one of their chairs instead of rolling away on a balance ball!!

http://www.equestrianeducation.org/what_is_balimo.html
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not actually sitting on the ball (I can, and do, sit and balance with my feet off the ground easily enough), and I have done the exercise suggested by Wendy. I'm talking about KNEELING on the ball and balancing upright. I actually saw a person on TV (I think it was a biggest loser commercial) JUMP into a STANDING position on top of the physio ball and balance! Kind of looking for a middle ground!

I'd LOVE to get a Balimo chair, but unfortunately, not in the budget right now!

Essentially, I'm trying to lower my center of gravity and strengthen my core at the same time. My biggest difficulty is sitting trot, so I figure doing this (and I'm going to invest in a hula hoop to attempt to loosen my lower back) might help?

Quote Originally Posted by fizzyfuzzybuzzy View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not actually sitting on the ball (I can, and do, sit and balance with my feet off the ground easily enough), and I have done the exercise suggested by Wendy. I'm talking about KNEELING on the ball and balancing upright. I actually saw a person on TV (I think it was a biggest loser commercial) JUMP into a STANDING position on top of the physio ball and balance! Kind of looking for a middle ground!

Essentially, I'm trying to lower my center of gravity and strengthen my core at the same time. My biggest difficulty is sitting trot, so I figure doing this (and I'm going to invest in a hula hoop to attempt to loosen my lower back) might help?
    Kneeling or standing on the ball puts me in mind of sailing off of it into a plate glass window... so I am not likely to try that!!! Too small a house to have a safe padded space to try it! But the bridge type exercise someone described earlier sounds interesting. That will be added to my routine!

1 members found this post helpful.

My personal trainer gave me these exercises to do-

kneeling on the ball and doing bicep curls
    kneeling on ball and tossing a 10lb medicine ball to someone else, not just straight back and forth, have the other person toss it to the side so you have to stretch to catch it.

Instead of kneeling put hands and feet on ball and then lift an opposite arm and leg and balance as long as possible.

http://www.acefitness.org/exerciseli...-russian-twist

this one is great, I usually use a 10-15lb weight in my hands

http://www.acefitness.org/exerciseli...all-knee-tucks

this is one of my favorite exercises

Also you can do a version of a squat with the ball between your back and the wall.

the exercise wsmoak suggested is also one of my favorites

I can stand on the ball, its more about balance than strenght

Huckleberry -- the balance more than strength thing is what I am looking for! I am working at the gym with weights, elliptical/running and yoga, but I am looking to add something at home that can work on my balance when I can't be on a horse or in the gym!

Bump- I know this thread was from 3 years ago, but I found it through google and it's helped me...
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    I've posted this one in a few other threads, but I'll risk sounding like a broken record, because it's the only off-the-horse exercise I've found that works the same muscles you use in two-point:

Lie on your back with your legs straight and your feet at the 'equator' of the ball. Keep your toes pointed up at the ceiling, don't wrap your feet around the ball.

Squeeze in with your legs and lift your rear off the ground to form a bridge. Hold for a count of two, then slowly lower your hips. I usually to 2 sets of 15 with other things in between.

The easiest variation is with your arms at your sides, palms pressing into the ground to help you lift. Next is "robot arms" with your upper arms and elbows on the ground, arms bent 90 degrees and hands up in the air. Hardest is with your head/shoulders on a Bosu ball or Airex pad to destabilize everything.
    I'm so trying this at home tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by fizzyfuzzybuzzy View Post

I'm hoping fizzyfuzzybuzzy is around (I think I just saw her posting!) because I'm curious if the "balance ball" in mention was the kind I thought - it sounds like she may mean the smaller ones, not the ones which people use to replace desk chairs.

Thanks for bumping up this old post - good ideas!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

netg, I'm pretty sure it is the kind used to replace desk chairs.

Back in the day when I rode in college we had gym workouts with trainers like any other varsity sport, and they had us do a ton of things while kneeling on those big, inflated, rubbery balance balls (and a few of us wiped out now and then trying to stay standing on them the longest lol).

Huckleberry has some great suggestions! I'm gonna inflate the one that's been in my closet since I moved and get cracking on some exercise!