The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    165

    Question Using a fleece/wool/stable sheet in conjunction w/MW T/O Blanket?

    I'll be having a pony coming out to me in California from Virginia in a week or so. (At least, that's when he'll be leaving there) I'm going to be buying a T/O for his trip, because I don't want to, ah, "inherit" what he's already got.

    I want to get the Pessoa Alpine T/O (I've been dying for an excuse to buy that for AGES ), but since he's clipped and it's only a midweight AND it's currently FREEZING in that part of the country, I'm concerned that it won't be enough. So I was pondering also buying a fleece or MAYBE wool cooler, or maybe some sort of stable sheet, i.e. Weatherbeeta Continental type thing. I really don't want to get a stable blanket or HW T/O because it just doesn't get cold enough here to justify that kind of purchase. (I'm in SoCal, L.A. area)

    And also, if I did get some kind of sheet as a liner, what should I do about sizing? He normally wears a size 63 (in a Weatherbeeta) T/O blanket, which looks a tad loose on him. So do you think it would be a good idea to go down to, say, a 60 in a fleece/wool sheet, and get the Pessoa blanket in a 64?

    I have NO experience with snow and cold temperatures!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2008
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    I would not go with fleece or wool underneath a turnout. I stupidly did it one time, per the advice of our local tack shop. The fleece quickly inched it way back. As it inched its way down, the leg straps then got to the point where his legs and tail got tangled up in them while the front got tighter and tighter on him. This fleece cooler did have leg straps, belly surcingle, etc. Still, I should have listened to myself and not done it. I'm darn lucky my barn owner/trainer noticed what was going on and got it off of him.

    I'd go with a liner, something meant to go under a blanket. I picked up a great one for $60.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2008
    Location
    V.A. in an old house with an old barn
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Fleece or anything like it on a clipped horse/pony is going to ease back and stick like velcro to his coat and cause rubs. Get something with a smooth feel, like breathable nylon, even cotton lining can catch on a clipped coat. I've been clipping my pony for about 12 years now and have learned from my mistakes and her rubs. Schneiders has some really great layering sheets/liners and their prices are great.
    Just cause you move to Texas, doesn't mean you are a Texan. After all, if a cat puts her kittens in the oven, It doesn't make them Bisquits.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan. 17, 2008
    Posts
    2,079

    Default

    I always layer in the winter. My thbd lives in a Bucas Celtic Stable Rug and then gets a turnout over top. I keep 3 different weights of turnout handy depending upon the temperature. Nothing has ever moved and none of the rugs have leg straps (t/os are Horseware).

    I'm in Canada and it gets cold. And then it gets warm. And then cold..... I could never understand a horse having one winter blanket. I have numerous winter coats and choose which one to wear based on the conditions. Why should it be different for my horse?
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ponygrl25 View Post
    Fleece or anything like it on a clipped horse/pony is going to ease back and stick like velcro to his coat and cause rubs. Get something with a smooth feel, like breathable nylon, even cotton lining can catch on a clipped coat. I've been clipping my pony for about 12 years now and have learned from my mistakes and her rubs. Schneiders has some really great layering sheets/liners and their prices are great.

    Would it be any better if one put one of those Lycra full sheets (i.e. Sleazy Sleepwear or Jammies) under a fleece or wool sheet, or is it just out of the question?

    BTW, Carousel Horse Tack carries those blanket liners too. (Brand is Dura-Tech, I believe) They probably have better customer service then Scheider's does these days. (Or so I've heard, anyway) Plus they give free shipping over $100! How much better can you get?



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2007
    Location
    Camden, DE
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Well, they do make the Rambo Duo which is a system designed for layering.

    And if I layer, it's usually a closed front nylon sheet or stable blanket underneath my turn out. I've found that to be the best option.

    I really don't like coolers (fleece or wool) underneath turn outs. It just...bugs me.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    Well, they do make the Rambo Duo which is a system designed for layering.

    And if I layer, it's usually a closed front nylon sheet or stable blanket underneath my turn out. I've found that to be the best option.

    I really don't like coolers (fleece or wool) underneath turn outs. It just...bugs me.

    Spend $400 for a Turnout? If I had that for something frivolous... I'd buy that KL Select fancy-stitch bridle I've been eyeing. Besides, colors are BOR-ING (I'm part of the just-under-20-set on here;D), and they come in a minimum of size 72. Which would be like a tent on Mr. Pony. (Is that his name? Of course not. He's named after a certain very brave Disney "king" character from a popular movie and play circa 1995... ten points to the first person who guesses which one)

    Me thinks I'll go with the Dura-Tech blanket liner when I buy the Pessoa from Carousel Horse. (Does anyone know how the sizing runs on those liners? They're the same ones that Schneider's has, as mentioned above. Should I just get the 63 or go down to a 60?)



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2007
    Location
    Camden, DE
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Sorry for making the suggestion.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    Sorry for making the suggestion.
    Sorry if I seemed mean It's just that I couldn't spend that.

    No hard feelings?



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    17,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling_Sunset View Post
    Spend $400 for a Turnout? If I had that for something frivolous... I'd buy that KL Select fancy-stitch bridle I've been eyeing. Besides, colors are BOR-ING (I'm part of the just-under-20-set on here;D), and they come in a minimum of size 72. Which would be like a tent on Mr. Pony. (Is that his name? Of course not. He's named after a certain very brave Disney "king" character from a popular movie and play circa 1995... ten points to the first person who guesses which one)

    Me thinks I'll go with the Dura-Tech blanket liner when I buy the Pessoa from Carousel Horse. (Does anyone know how the sizing runs on those liners? They're the same ones that Schneider's has, as mentioned above. Should I just get the 63 or go down to a 60?)
    Sorry, you get what you pay for. We have a Pessoa and it is not holding up well (the snaps).

    Anyway, I would recommend the Rambo/Horswear/Amigo liners. They are about $50 and come in weights of 100gm., 200gm. and 300gm. Open fronts, which I like. Nice thing is you can layer under midweight or sheet and get exactly the weight you need.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul. 8, 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    ditto on the no fleece! I stupidly did that and ended up with a really bad rub on the poor horses withers. The cooler inched back and pulling it forward is nearly impossible. I didhave a woolfitted cooler from dover with nylon lined shoulders that worked well as a liner but just in case I'd go with a light stable blanket!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default

    Someone I know uses wool sheets as their full time winter coverup on her horses, and their entire shoulders are completely rubbed bare by mid-winter. I can imagine this would be even worse if the sheet was a layer under another blanket.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan. 22, 2006
    Posts
    2,106

    Default

    I use a wool blanket/cooler under my horses turnouts all winter while he is clipped. It has nylon shoulders, fleece at the withers, surcingle, and leg straps. Never have had a problem with rubs or sliding back. My horse gets rubs where your leg goes in the winter but no rubs on his shoulders so this works for him. But it is not a "cooler" really it is a wool blanket. He has been using this system for 8 years, works great.



Similar Threads

  1. Best Blanket/stable sheet for large-chested horse?
    By Ponyclubrocks in forum Off Course
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Oct. 12, 2012, 04:51 PM
  2. Baker stable sheet vs Rambo stable sheet
    By pennylane16 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jul. 30, 2012, 06:20 PM
  3. Fleece cooler or stable sheet as trophy sheet?
    By Ysabel in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Feb. 23, 2012, 11:43 PM
  4. using wool cooler as stable blanket
    By my_doran in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: Feb. 12, 2011, 01:55 PM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: Dec. 30, 2008, 12:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness