The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BL Solution?

Can find much searching the forum.

Does anyone use/ or has anyone used BL for more than a month or so? What was the issue you used it for?

Im wondering if it really works. Its no NSAID drug but Im just wondering if the claims have any merit. Im thinking about giving it a try on my navicular mare. Its really not that expensive. It wouldnt really be replacing bute, because I only use it as needed. So far I think I've used bute 3-4x over the winter.

The packaging says not to use it along with a NSAID, my only concern would be, if the pain required bute. Would I have to wait a few days after taking a horse off it? (I might need to contact the manufacturer about this.)

be aware that it will "test" at rated shows -the devil's claw

SonnyandLacy is offline Working Hunter
    Original Poster

yeah I figured it would test. I'm not to worried, I dont ride her.

I use the BL pellets. I can tell you without a doubt they work for the 3 horses I've had on them. I use them for minor aches and pains, minor lameness with a bruise, things like that. Things that I don't feel warrant the use of bute. Now if you had something major happen and you had the horse on Devils Claw and you had to have bute that day, I would go ahead and give them the bute and cease the BL pellets right away. That's always been my concern as well but if my horse needed bute or banamine for something major and happened to be on Devils Claw, I wouldn't hesitate to give the pain meds they needed (and I have discussed that with my vet).

Since I feed the pellets, I hand feed them as needed. So that means, I check the horse thoroughly before they ever get their daily dose. In case there's something else wrong that might possibly require a NSAID. That way I can prevent giving it to them if they need something stronger. I rarely have to use them but I had a mare come up a bit gimpy with a suspected bruise a couple of weeks ago. I didn't feel she was lame enough to get bute but I give her about 3/4 of a scoop of BL pellets by hand and she's right as rain in a few hours. I have a horse with nerve damage in a leg that if he's sore I'll give it to him if he needs it. I don't use it as a supplement, I use it as needed and generally not more than a couple of weeks. However, I have a mare with goopy eyes and the BL Pellets really clear them up (they work FAR better than bute or banamine ever did). I talked with my vet about keeping her on it long term, and he felt it would be fine. I haven't personally kept a horse on it more than a couple of weeks or every other day for 3 weeks. I don't believe there have been any studies done on long term use in horses to really tell us what problems might occur.

I get the small bucket of pellets and it generally lasts me several months since I only use when I need it and generally only give 1/2-3/4 of a scoop a day. I've got 6 horses so I never know who's going to do something stupid, but not dumb enough for the heavier stuff.

I use it, regularly, with two of our horses. One because of arthritus and the other because of an injury. When I run out and they don't have it for a few days, I see a difference. Not scientific data, but my experience.

The one with the old injury is a bully -- when he's feeling good he will sometimes terrorize one or all of the horses for a few days (my husband calls it the "redhead rampage"). I'm embarrassed to say that I take him off the BL for a few days so he doesn't feel quite so good, to bring some peace back the the herd.

I've found the liquid to be more effective than the pellets. I also give it to other horses when they have an injury not serious enough to merit bute. I don't give both bute and BL together -- seems like overkill.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I have been using it daily for about 5 years for my 27-year old mare, who has arthritic hocks, navicular, and other aches and pains that come with a horse her age. She stays pasture sound with it. Last year I had to up her dosage to twice a day as she was getting a bit more gimpy. She is also on a good joint supplement.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I use to use it on my old gelding for almost 10 yrs. - I finally stopped because his arthristis is so far advance it stopped helping. That and I was worried about Founder/Laminitis (which he doesn't have at the moment) since he has pulses to his feet (bad thrush and horrible ringbone). It does have a lot of molasses in it. - Sorry I can't spell this morning, need more coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzrider View Post
    I don't give both bute and BL together -- seems like overkill.

Your not suppose to give bute or any NASID drugs with it as it causes ulcers. I would pull mine off the BL when I had to give real drugs. The barn I was staying at didn't do this and the horse ended up colicing really bad.

I started giving the liquid BL solution to both my over 20 year old geldings and noticed a huge difference. The 24 year old who recently came back from being neglected for years is now bucking and playing around his paddock even with his arthritis and my 23 year old can trot and canter around the trails for hours with no soreness afterwards. I went ahead and bought the 6 quart size bottles from SmartPak as they seemed to have the best deal and we use is daily.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

When one of our horses had a technical founder, and was in accute pain, he was on BL pellets (along w/ Bute) I know someone said that the BL pellets/solution shouldn't be used with Bute but our vet said it was fine so i dont know...

It worked well. He was still in mass amounts of pain but he was in alot less pain than before the BL pellets.

Also another good pain releiver is strait MSM. You need atleast 17,000 mg for it to do something for arthritus but if you get the big tub from Vita Flex (I think the 5 lb bucket is like $30) it lasts forever!!!!

I used it for over 10 years with my last horse - it wasn't as good as bute, but he developed ulcers from being on bute long-term, so this was the next best thing. He had arthritis in his whole hind end, as well as advanced DSLD. It kept him pasture sound, except when he was actively calcifying. At those times, I would switch to bute. I did feel that it kept him more comfortable in the long run.

If you plan on feeding it long-term, have your horse's liver enzymes tested periodically - it can cause problems in some horses (mine never had any issues, but I have heard about it happening).

If you don't have a heated place to keep the BL solution, buy the pellets instead - the solution freezes in the winter.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

I put my horse on bl pellets once and didn't see a difference. I recently put her on the smartflex senior pellets and she has a spring in her step even with an arthritic knee and a high hind suspensory (eek!) lameness. I'm not sure what the trick is, but they both have devils claw. I'm now sold on this product.

Quote Originally Posted by TrakGeorge View Post
    Your not suppose to give bute or any NASID drugs with it as it causes ulcers. I would pull mine off the BL when I had to give real drugs. The barn I was staying at didn't do this and the horse ended up colicing really bad.
    Ummmm, close. NSAIDS by themselves have been known to cause ulcers. Doesn't matter if they are on Devils Claw or not. If they were on Devils Claw AND a NSAID, then your risk of ulcers probably increases quite a bit. I'm with you though, if they needed a NSAID, I would just pull them off the BL pellets to be on the safe side and resume once they came off the NSAID.

Original Poster

So it sounds like its worth a try. I'll see what my vet says about it.

I believe its a B-12 supplement. I thougth for some reason that was more for relieving muscles, but it sounds like most people who posted got results for nonmuscle issues.

I was thinking last night- that 5 hour energy shot is mostly a type of B vitamin, I believe. So has anyone experienced an increase in energy on it? And if it does increase energy how can you distinguish extra energy vs being less stiff/not wanting to move around alot?

I am suprized to see this many positive responses. I was expecting people to say it doesnt work, mainly because it so inexpensive and its not really a complex "chemically" formula.

I used it on my arthritic horse and it did nothing for him whatsoever. Plain MSM has done much more for him and is cheaper.

Original Poster

With MSM you have to be careful its not made in china or made using chinese ingredients. Thats why alot of it is so cheep.

Quote Originally Posted by jaimebaker View Post
    Ummmm, close. NSAIDS by themselves have been known to cause ulcers. Doesn't matter if they are on Devils Claw or not. If they were on Devils Claw AND a NSAID, then your risk of ulcers probably increases quite a bit. I'm with you though, if they needed a NSAID, I would just pull them off the BL pellets to be on the safe side and resume once they came off the NSAID.
    Yes, thanks for clarifying that....I needed more coffee at that point.

BL is NOT just a B-12 supp. Read the info. It's the Devil's Claw that is the main active ingredient. A 5-hour energy shot, which is not designed for horses, is far from comparable to BL.

MSM is also not cheap because "it is made with chinese ingredients". MSM is just cheap because it is inexpensive to manufacture. Many of the cheap brands are 100% pure MSM, and are made and sold by reputable companies.

You might want to do some research before posting things like this.

Default Hay

I have not used BL Solution in years BECAUSE of the B-12 they add. It made the horse on it too hot to handle. I wasn't sure about how it worked on his lameness issues (arthritis) because he was bucking out in the field and just generally unruly to handle and this is a nice placid horse. He was sounder but the unruliness was not worth it to me.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    BL is NOT just a B-12 supp. Read the info. It's the Devil's Claw that is the main active ingredient. A 5-hour energy shot, which is not designed for horses, is far from comparable to BL.

MSM is also not cheap because "it is made with chinese ingredients". MSM is just cheap because it is inexpensive to manufacture. Many of the cheap brands are 100% pure MSM, and are made and sold by reputable companies.

You might want to do some research before posting things like this.
    Actually that is one of the reasons MSM is so cheep. Just because its made by a reputable company doesnt mean it wasnt outsourced or made with chinese products. I actually have done research thanks.