The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New video of TOTILAS - good quality (Painted Black video added below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj78ubYSlak

change from 360 p to 1080 p for high definition quality (if your connection can handle it) on the menu on the right side (near the "full screen" button)
    Last edited by CenterlineGirl2; Feb. 17, 2010 at 09:22 PM.

That is a much better quality video than most others I've seen. That horse just melts my heart, swoon!

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

Very very nice video, much better quality.....what a phenomenal pair...this horse seems to be getting stronger and better every time i see him...

But even with good quality, videos just do not do him justice. He is so beautiful and impressive.

He seems so happy to perform, he tries his heart out and can go from full power mode to quiet standing and looking around. He stands like a rock when Edward is giving his speech. Afterward he can go right back into power mode. His temperament is just incredible.

side note: he looks quite easy to sit. There have been some comments made here like "who could sit that trot" etc but I think most reasonably experienced riders would have no trouble with sitting his trot. Handling the power and lightness would be a different issue, but just sitting the trot should not be a problem. His back is loose and swinging and he looks like he gives Edward a very nice place to sit.

I really love watching this horse, in spite of all the mixed reactions he gets. I think what amazed me most about this video is how clearly you can see him SIT - it is amazing, he is so uphill!

What an inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing! I get goose bumps when I watch his transitions and those pirouettes

I am also fascinated with Edward Gal. How does he get these amazing rides - Matine, Gribaldi, Totilas - need I list more? I mean I think he is a flawless rider and he certainly seems to have a bond with Totilas. Not to mention he is fashionable beyond compare! Definitely my modern day dressage idol!

Great great video, best I have seen for really looking at the horse, thanks. They are both amazing.

I've seen three videos now from the stallion show, and each one is better than the last!

Toto moment: extended trot to exquisite,balanced walk transition to relaxed,extended walk within two foot falls.

Edward moment: he had already done so much pi/pa, he ended his kur early after the canter work (another perfect halt, LOL) and just walked around, What a true horseman!

Hans-Peter moment: is there anything that man cannot ride? WOW! Painted Black looked like a firecracker at the start and just grew into something bigger!
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Hey Canyonoak, I have the video of Hans Peter on Painted Black, I should have it uploaded to youtube soon. I will post it when its done.

Imagine a video compilation of all the great moments that happen outside of the test areana.

Hey CenterLineGirl <g>, please give a heads up when you have put the Hans-Peter video up on youtube!

thanks!
    one oak, lots of canyons

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    I really love watching this horse, in spite of all the mixed reactions he gets. I think what amazed me most about this video is how clearly you can see him SIT - it is amazing, he is so uphill!
    Right! I want to see him jump just one jump. I bet he would be incredible to ride....

Default Painted Black

Here is a video of Painted Black ridden by Hans Peter (also available in high quality, change to 1080p near the full screen button)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL2UzAhLp1c

Wow, Hans-Peter gets my total and full admiration yet again!

Not sure there are many riders ahead of him on the all-time fabbo list!
    LOL

thank you, CenterlineGirl, that was a treat.
    one oak, lots of canyons

WOW

Dang HP can ride. Painted Black looked amazing!

- they don't have any events like that in Vermont

I like Totilas and I think HP is a fab. rider. I did not care for him that much on this video of Painted Black...looked like they had some rhythm problems at times. I like the Totilas video better.

Thanks for posting both. Interesting to see both videos together.

While there were def. more 'errors' in the Painted Black video and it if def. apparent that Toto has much more ability Pi Pa, I just like Painted Black's trot so much better. The hind was more engaged and he had a better over track. I love everything about Toto except how 'contrived' and over schooled his trot looks. I say looks and not is because I know that a large amount of genetics went into how he moves. Recently I saw an old picture of a horse in expended tort where the front leg was literally perpendicular to the ground front shoulder to hoof, what was even better was that his his cannon was also very close to perpendicular and so far under his body it was insane. When Toto reaches the stage where his hind end shows the same extreme expression as his front (which might happen given how young he is), he will be as close to perfect as I can imagine.

Totilas is amazing.

Flame suit on.

Of course these horses have to be used to noise and distractions and so on - they have to be to compete at these venues- and Totilas is so very calm in the large shows but sometimes I think the crowd is a bit over the top, maybe even disregarding the nature of the horse and trying to get an explosion.

It's like "make the bear dance". I doubt EG thinks it is all that nice for the horse, looking at his expression.
    I think you can see his concern for the horse who is such a good guy.

To be clear, I have no criticism of Gal at all.

I'll probably regret posting this as it will be misconstrued.
    Last edited by egontoast; Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM.

Eggy--I think you are correct on all counts about the crowd--but they do it the same when the 8 year olds come in on their ponies, they do it at the stallion shows,etc etc.

It is why Isabell is on one of her younger horses in the honor round--not because WN cannot handle this, but to get yet another prospect accustomed to this kind of atmosphere.

I daresay that Painted showed a fair amount of trust and confidence in Hans-Peter to listen as well as he did considering their short partnership.
    one oak, lots of canyons

And of course these are big fans and just expressing their excitement.

We expect so much of these amazing animals! Be brilliant but not too brilliant. Be powerful but not too powerful.