The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Most embarrasing place you wear your breeches?

What's the most embarrasing place you wear your breeches/socks etc after riding?

I don't know about everyone else but I've only really ever gone to the store and gas station(no biggie). As a guy though I probably get more stares especially if I wear full seats and random crazy socks lol. I don't care though, I love how comfy mine are and I don't look bad in them plus it's a great convo started with girls haha.

Oh I wear them wherever I happen to be heading that day after the barn Gas station, grocery shopping, target, whatever...

I don't really care. Yeah I get stares, but so what. A lot of times I don't feel like going out of my way to go home and change.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Probably the day I showed up for a rather swank party in my show clothes. Oops.

I don't particularly care about anywhere else, but that was a teensy bit awkward. Folks were surprisingly supportive, though I definitely missed the dress code of pretty summer dresses.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

When I lived in So Cal I got the CRAZIEST looks when I wore them grocery shopping. haha.

I just went to school in breeches and crocs with crazy cool socks the other day

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrownHorse View Post
    When I lived in So Cal I got the CRAZIEST looks when I wore them grocery shopping. haha.

I just went to school in breeches and crocs with crazy cool socks the other day
    School?!? Haha, why in the world? Now that would be embarrasing..or maybe not

I walk my dog in them before/after I go to the barn. Which wouldn't be bad, but I live right across from a big university and get judgmental stares from hordes of college students going to and from class... oh well!

I'll run into the grocery store in them, but that doesn't usually bother me.

If I have to go somewhere, I try to go before I ride when I'm at least clean and dry!

Have gone to class (college) in them. Also walked around campus on a football game day in them. Got loads of compliments and people wanted to know where I bought my outfit.

But I'd say the most embarrassing place is the doctor's office! Embarrassing only if you're there because you fell off!

Ive wore them to school before but i think the most embarrasing was when I had to wear them to a work meeting cause it was my day off and I was crazy bizzy that day and just didnt have a chance to change. I thought my outfit was cute but I got crazy stares as I walking in with my breeches on some zocks and ugg slippers lol

i keep waiting for the day that the ralph lauren catalog looks (you know, that annoying LOOK AT ME WITH MY HORSEY CLOTHES EXCEPT I DONT RIDE HORSES LULZ) are going to be fashionable in highschoolers, so i can finally wear my TS to school and be like "hey! see! i was way ahead of you guys!"

one time after a horse show i was at a restaurant with friends and the waitress was in love with my clothes and was asking me where i got the awesome boots and shirt and the pants were so unique

me: i got all of this at Beval's (knowing she will have no idea what this is, she probably thought it was some chic little boutique)
    her: so can i find these boots in a department store? like bloomingdales?
    me: probably not.
    her: that shirt is really neat though, i like how it has patterns on the inside of the cuff, so unique! i like how the collar is shorter and it doesnt have to get in the way.
    me: yea its really practical

etc.

the only embarrassing times is when i went to a barbeque when i knew i was going to the barn that evening. so i figured, eh, ill just wear my breeches whatever. well, my friends knew i am horse girl, the outfit still didnt quite register in their minds even boyfriend was like "....... what are you wearing" (well, i had on a pink and white striped polo, french blue TS, insane colorful patterned zocks, and adiddas sandals (you know the slip on kind that are so comfy with socks. shoebie!"
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I've worn mine to DSW as well as Nordstrom.
    My barn is located within 10 minutes of both and I had forgotten to bring a change of clothes...home is 35 minutes in the opposite direction, so shopping in my riding clothes I went!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raaben View Post
    School?!? Haha, why in the world? Now that would be embarrasing..or maybe not
    haha, I had NO TIME at all between school and barn so I figured, hey, might as well wear the same thing

It wasn't too awkward, actually, less so than going grocery shopping in LA haha.

I've worn mine grocery shopping (many more strange looks now that I live in a more urban area) and on various other errands, to class at college, to sorority meetings (the girls took that one remarkably well!), shoe shopping, to the library at vet school... most people I know have pretty much just stopped noticing at this point!

My favorite was always when I was wearing half chaps over jeans on campus and girls would stop to ask where I had gotten those "really cute boots"... . I never figured out how the mud and the worn insides on the calves didn't give them away as actual riding boots!

I wear mine to my MWF classes at college. My practice happens to run right up until the time I have class so I have no choice but to go to class like that. People were shocked when I showed up in jeans for the first time of the semester last Friday.

i've gone straight from jumper classic to rock n roll concert. woo white pants! i decided to keep my boots and coat on just to give people some context. though i must admit, wearing spurs to a concert was probably not the most courteous . i made a few enemies. the boys in the band thought i did it on a dare.

ooh, another time my friend and i went halloween costume shopping while at a show and people thought we were all ready in costume (i had fallen off that day and got some blood on my shirt). oopsies!

I usually get some weird looks when we stop at restaurants on the way home from shows, bu nothing crazy.

The worst was when I had left school early (mind you I was a high school sophomore), had a lesson, fell off, and returned to school for an AP review session right after. Still fully dressed In my PURPLE breeches, pink polo, helmet (and hunter hair), spurs, and a crop tucked into my half chap; all while covered in dirt. Wouldnt have had been as bad if I hadn't gotten there 5 minutes late so everyone stared at me as I walk in, and my one friend who rides breaks the silence by saying "While I see you learned the laws of gravity today".

I will never be able to where breeches to school again. My teacher still laughs at me about that.and its been 2 years!

After one ride I took myself to lunch at Chili's (solo) because I had about an hour before I had to be at another barn and was hungry. Oh man I got some looks. I had rowley spurs on too which totally fit into the "decor" they have there.

I was really tempted to walk in, pause, look around and say something like "what you got to eat in these here parts?"

But then I didn't.
    Forward momentum!

The most embarassing would be going to highschool in my breeches, zocks, helmet, and untucked show shirt. I assumed no on would be there, it was after school hours, but boy was I wrong! Apparently there was a school play that night, so I walked right into a huge group of kids, teachers and parents. That was embarassing!

for me its just the local grocery store. I think my "helmet hair" probably looks a bit more weird than the breeches.

when I was a teenager I would tag along with my grandmother when she went to show her stallion, and no matter where she showed she had to make Sunday mass. She went to mass in her breeches/thin socks (with dressy shoes) and a button down shirt before heading over to the showgrounds. that memory always makes me smile.

Traffic school. I had to do it on a Saturday morning, so I picked the location closest to the barn and went riding afterward. It was in a hotel conference room. Helped me get a nice quiet corner to myself. Normally I seem to be the type of person that random strangers feel comfortable coming up to and striking up a conversation; half-chaps and a strong smell of horse are great for counteracting that. d;

This last semester I didn't have a car on campus at college, so I'd have to walk from the farthest end of campus (my dorm) to the other side where my friend had her car parked. Granted, I was in Kentucky, so people should be used to it, but I got lots of weird looks then. Especially the one time I had to carry my saddle with me to leave it at the barn; it was like people had no idea what could be under that odd shaped cover.