She just came up totally lame on her hind left- not bearing any weight on it at all. This is just another thing added on to a long string of issues ever since she was born, and I have no idea what to do with her besides wrapping her up in bubble wrap for the rest of her life.
My vet called me back soon after my first post, and thought that this could wait until tomorrow. She's putting weight on it now, and I was advised to dose her with bute, and to just keep an eye on her until tomorrow. However, she might be coming out sooner than that. I just called her back with the following update and am waiting for a reply.
I was just out to check on her, and she's dragging her toe pretty significantly when she walks. Some steps are sound-ish, some are really off, some are three-legged. My normally in-your-face filly also won't let me come near her sides, and has a pain response when I touch her withers. No swelling or heat is present anywhere, though it might be a bit early for that. She's very expressive, and doesn't appear to be in any pain when she walks, aside from the cautious limp.
I'm stumped, and am praying that it's nothing serious.
Well if its as mucky and wet there as it is here, im voting for abcess as well. My vet wont advise me to use bute untill he's out to see whats wrong. It will be hard to get to the bottom of it if shes already been buted when the vet gets there. Plus abcesses suposidly take longer to come out if you buted the horse.
So the diagnosis is that she likely wiped out HARD. Her injuries are consistent with either crashing into something, or slipping and falling at a high speed. She pulled the right side of her back pretty severely, pretty much from the withers right down- the left side is sore, but not nearly as much. She also hurt her right stifle and front right fetlock- there's some swelling and heat that popped up this morning.
Best part of it all is that she's going to be just fine. She has a week of limited turnout (moved to a smaller paddock) to keep her quiet along with a small dose of bute daily to keep the inflammation down. She will likely need to see the chiro in a few months.
It could have been a lot worse. Thank you for all the jingles!! I really appreciate it.
Ditto the sore no more- or ice! I wouldn't put the chiro off too long- as soon as she is letting you rub and massage her in all the sore places, I'd do it- before she starts moving differently to compensate for something out of place. Ask the vet- but I bute before and after chiro when its for an injury.