The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Glucosamine and Chondroitin.. how much is considered "effective dose"?

I know there are no studies that prove the effectiveness of oral joint supplements, but what is generally considered to be an adequate dose of Glucosamine and Chondroitin, for preventative measures?

I'm thinking about putting my mare on an inexpensive joint supplement, but I want to do some research about it first. There's a brand of Probios treats that come with 125mg Glucosamine HCl, and 20mg Chondroitin Sulfate per treat. You're supposed to feed 3-6 treats per day.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

At that dose, you are not doing much if anything.

Take a look at Cosequin or Cosequin ASU. Nutramax is one of the only companies out there with research to back their claims.

You can use the amount of glucosamine in the products to get an idea of what is typical for equine products, but keep this in mind:

1) Nutraceuticals are not a well controlled industry - that means that the FDA only requires that they prove that the product does not hurt animals. There is nothing that says that their product has to do what it says it does. Claims of effectiveness do not have to be substantiated. Ingredients are not tested to be sure that the amounts listed are, in fact, enclosed in the bucket.

2)Consider the bio-availability of the glucosamine. Where are they getting it from and have they proven that the horse can actually use/absorb the glucosamine from the source listed.

The only way to determine if the product may be of any use is to go by "word-of-mouth."

I personally prefer to spend my money on a product with some science behind it. That said, I'm sure there are some other products that are decent, but which ones they are can be difficult to distinguish.

Quote Originally Posted by HD2008 View Post
    At that dose, you are not doing much if anything.

Take a look at Cosequin or Cosequin ASU. Nutramax is one of the only companies out there with research to back their claims.

You can use the amount of glucosamine in the products to get an idea of what is typical for equine products, but keep this in mind:

1) Nutraceuticals are not a well controlled industry - that means that the FDA only requires that they prove that the product does not hurt animals. There is nothing that says that their product has to do what it says it does. Claims of effectiveness do not have to be substantiated. Ingredients are not tested to be sure that the amounts listed are, in fact, enclosed in the bucket.

2)Consider the bio-availability of the glucosamine. Where are they getting it from and have they proven that the horse can actually use/absorb the glucosamine from the source listed.

The only way to determine if the product may be of any use is to go by "word-of-mouth."

I personally prefer to spend my money on a product with some science behind it. That said, I'm sure there are some other products that are decent, but which ones they are can be difficult to distinguish.
    Thanks for the input!

Unfortunately Cosequin is wayyyy out of my budget.

Anyone else like to add some input?

I was really pleased with the results from Smartflex Senior. However, my dog just went through ACL repair surgery- and part of her long term care is to have her on a glucosamine/chodroitin supplement. I am broke right now, even more so since paying for a $1700 surgery- and I couldn't afford the dausaquin (cosequin ASU for dogs) so I bought her human flaxamin at Riteaid when they had their BOGO free sale. It ended up costing me $17 for 180 pills, versus $90 from the vet. I would imagine that if you know the dosage, you could do the same for a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    I was really pleased with the results from Smartflex Senior. However, my dog just went through ACL repair surgery- and part of her long term care is to have her on a glucosamine/chodroitin supplement. I am broke right now, even more so since paying for a $1700 surgery- and I couldn't afford the dausaquin (cosequin ASU for dogs) so I bought her human flaxamin at Riteaid when they had their BOGO free sale. It ended up costing me $17 for 180 pills, versus $90 from the vet. I would imagine that if you know the dosage, you could do the same for a horse.
    That's an interesting idea, I didn't think of that!

my 18 yr old Irish SPorthorse (17.3hh and 1550lbs) is on MSM and Glucosamine. Although he does get his hocks injected every 6 months (was a grand prix jumepr and advanced level eventer in his younger days). They seem to keep him pretty comfortable. I know all the horses at the barn he is kept at are on similar supplement combinations.

And...they are super cheap. 40ish days for $21. I use the Ani-med products.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckOfTheIrish91 View Post
    my 18 yr old Irish SPorthorse (17.3hh and 1550lbs) is on MSM and Glucosamine. Although he does get his hocks injected every 6 months (was a grand prix jumepr and advanced level eventer in his younger days). They seem to keep him pretty comfortable. I know all the horses at the barn he is kept at are on similar supplement combinations.

And...they are super cheap. 40ish days for $21. I use the Ani-med products.
    She's already on MSM, and it definitely seems to help.