The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ariat vs. Tailored Sportsman sizing

How does the sizing on these compare? If I wear a 22 in Ariat will it be the same in Tailored Sportsman? I just ask because I know if you look at the Ariat size chart 22s are for a 25" waist so just wondering if TS went with *actual* waist measurement or was along the same lines as Ariat?

Just ordered some white Ariats (all circuit) and they are wayyyyy see through so I think I'm going to try TS instead. Plus the tan piping on white breeches, just wasn't crazy about it.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I'm not so great at searching. Thanks

I wear a 24 in Ariat and they fit pretty well, but when I tried on my friend's 24 Tailored they were a bit baggy on me, but didn't look ridiculous, so I think you'd be fine in a 22.

I've always worn TS, but recently tried on whatever the comparable Ariats are and I was the same size in those. (I'm not going to say what size that is after reading that you're a 22!)

Edited to add- Yes, it's true the TS do fit a bit more baggy in the same size. I like to think of it as fashionably baggy....

i have several pairs of both, and i wear the same size in each. i wear childrens sizes in both though, and i dont know how much the brands differ when you go to womens sizes.

i do find that the TS are a much looser fit. if you prefer your breeches to fit looser, go up one size in the ariat. i really prefer the looser fit, but its just me.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I have never worn ariats, but for TS I usually have to order a size up from my jeans for my breeches. I bought a pair of the white royal hunters and they are not too see through, I mean unless your underwear are bright I don't think they are see through.

TS breeches tend to actually run true to size. A 22 in a TS is a 22" waist, so 3" smaller than the Ariats size 22. I'm an adult, but I wear a girl's 12 (which is a 25" waist) in Ariat and a 24 in TS. For me, it's an issue with the hip size; 31" hips don't mesh well with most adult sizes. If you have small hips as well as a small waist, I'd really suggest children's breeches. They're cheaper and a better fit for us riders on the extra small side.

I wear the same size in my TS (all models) as the Ariat Pro Circuits. The TS tend to stretch out after a few rides (between washings) while the Ariats stay tighter.

It kind of depends on how you are built though- when i was a few pounds lighter, I tried the Ariats in my normal TS size and couldn't get them closed, but the legs were double the right size.

Thanks everyone! I think I really need to just go try some on. I would love it if I could fit into kid's breeches again--SO much cheaper as you said Liz. I think I tried on kid's in another brand and they didn't fit so just quit chasing the kid's sizes but I might try again. I have a larger booty than most kids but I can manage to fit into a 15" saddle so who knows! Hopefully the TS aren't as see through as Ariat (you could see the pockets through the pants and shirt tail, looked absolutely ridiculous)