Default What do you think of these jackets?

So I had a navy jacket that I sold about a year ago because it just didn't fit. I found a Grand Prix jacket on ebay for $45.00 that I just couldn't pass up. It's grey. So now I need a new navy jacket. I am watching a few on ebay (including the elite I mentioned in my other post). Also, could black be substituted for navy, or is that still passe? What about piping on the collar? Is that a no no also? I will likely just be doing shows on our local circuit, so theoretically I could wear whatever. However, turnout has always been a big deal to me and I want to have something that could be worn anywhere.

Navy Ariat
    http://cgi.ebay.com/LADIES-14-ARIAT-...item439bbf65d2

Black grand prix
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Grand-Prix-Ridin...item3359eba4ce

Thanks!

out of curiosity, if you already have a grey coat, why do you need another? you said you're only doing the local circuit. are you doing hunters or jumpers? eq?

honestly, grey and black are PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE as an alternative to navy. both are conservative and clean (as long as your grey isnt super light with a loud plaid or something) and youll be fine

but if you really want another, i like both the options you posted. however if you plan to do rated shows in the future in the eq and the hunters, piping is questionable. i personally think there is no problem with it, i've seen it in the hunters and the riders/horses still do well. some people think its a big no but i think as long as its something quiet that isnt too noticable (i think the ones you posted are very nice and theyre not loud) its fine
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

My gray jacket is fairly light, but does not have a loud color of plaid. I will primarily do the Eq/hunter stuff. You're right, it probably is fine, but I would just like a second option. I'm looking ebay/used because it's not a necessity and I can't justify buying a brand new coat at full price.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

They are both lovely. Navy is *always* appropriate, so if you want the most versatile option, choose that one.

Black seems to go in and out of style. A season or two ago, everyone was wearing it and it was very trendy, in fact. A lot of navy coats are so dark they are hard to tell from black, frankly, so if you love it, buy it and enjoy.

Discreet piping is fine, BTW, including at the rated levels.

Happy shopping!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

on a side note, i think its easier to look clean with navy because black always shows dust and dirt and lint much more. but i do really like black coats. get whatever you like more! and i like that ebay seller, i got a GP coat from her too about a year ago for a STEAL! (lol, and i have 2 huntcoats too, so i shouldn't even be questioning your motives! i got my other on clearance sale. i spent like $150 total on a new GP and a like-new gp! i couldnt pass it up)
    (|--Sarah--|)

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Oh, and as for having multiple jackets? Please. Life is short, have as many as you like!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

#superpony
    Don't you know that one can never own too many showcoats? (or breeches, or bridles, or saddlepads, or coolers... ) LOL!

Either way, I root for the navy one. Black comes across as a little dated if you ask me.
    Timothy, stop lurking

I absolutely adore hunt coats with piping. I have a really nice Grand Prix with light blue piping: http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orde...008&po=8&pc=24 Of course the only photo that shows off the piping is the photo that I have my eyes closed in.
    Anyways, I would go with the Ariat. I think piping looks really classy. It is different, but very subtle.

*ETA: Ditto the poster who said you can NEVER have too many coats!
    These 2 show it okay:
    http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orde...12&po=12&pc=24

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orde...001&po=1&pc=24
    "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by DancingQueen View Post
    #superpony
    Don't you know that one can never own too many showcoats? (or breeches, or bridles, or saddlepads, or coolers... ) LOL!

Either way, I root for the navy one. Black comes across as a little dated if you ask me.
    i know i know i am a hypocrite!!! i try to be frugal but when i got my second hunt coat i thought "how WONDERFUL this would look with rust!" .. then i thought, i could use another pair of breeches. i could use a rust pair of breeches. before you know it, i was shopping for a rust ensemble

happy shopping OP! personally i think i like the navy one the best
    (|--Sarah--|)

City of delusion in the state of total denial

That black Grand Prix is hideous and it's a mercy that I'm here to tell you not to buy it because you'd look like a fool.

*hurries off to snipe that auction!*
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG