The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Putting elastic gussets in zippered tall boots?

Was given a gorgeous pair of Der Dau zippered tall boots that fit my foot and halfway up my calves perfectly. But the upper leg and calves, not a chance I am getting those done up. Like to the tune of probably about 1.5 inches too small in the calf.

Was wondering if anyone has tried having elastic gussets put in boots for that reason? I was thinking an upside down V on either side of the zipper, or just one side, that would start wider through the calf area and taper to nothing about halfway down.

Anyone know if this can be done and would it just be ugly? Good idea or bad? Or other suggestions to make these boots fit or just give up

I have an older pair of boots that are getting the zipper replaced as we speak. The boot is a bit tight, so I was wanting a gusset all the way down on both sides of the zipper. They said it wasn't possible. I'm not sure about the v shape gussets, I think that's something you would have to ask about.

I wonder if you could put a panel all the way down along the inside of the zipper of the 'stretch leather' that Ariat uses for their half chaps.

On my (non zip) field boots I had V-shaped gussets put in the inside of the boot, from the centre inside about 5" down. The top of the gusset is about 2" wide and tapers down. I don't see why you couldn't get something similar put in zippered boots, they just cut a V out of the inside and replace it with elastic. Because it sits at the same place as the knee patch on the breeches, I've never had it bother me.

I have small gussets on the inside of my tall boots with zippers. On the inside they don't show and they don't bother me. I just had them replaced today though because I did wear through them.

I just bought some Devon Aire Camden boots that I think have an elastic gussets all the way down. I just ordered them and haven't received them but I am in between a regular and a wide calf so I thought this would be a good answer for me and I don't really show at big shows yet so wasn't real worried about getting expensive boots right now.

My local boot guy did mine for $80. Perfect fit now He said it would help the zipper last longer too because the stretch takes some of the pressure off of it.

i have and it works great.i took mine to a shoe/boot repair shop.i first asked if they could do something like that and just specified what i wanted done.they even put in such a way that when i zipped up my boots,the elastic was not show able for a cleaner look.of course i used them only a few times and then got stollen at a show..like ppl really you go that far to steal someones show boots.grrrrr anyways hope you get your boots fitting well for you.