The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse case in Peoples Court today!

I leave the TV on for background noise while I do stuff around the house and sometimes there are certain words that just grab my attention (mare, horse, stallion, LAWSUIT!).

Apparently the plaintiff was suing the defendent for breach of contract for not breeding her mare. It gets a little confusing because nobody wants to give their last name or the name of the farm but the state was Oregon. The plantiff is Sue and the defendent is Kristina. Kristina had picked up the mare to bring back to her farm for her stallion to breed, however, there was a problem with the stallion trying to penetrate the mare. Deb calls her vet to check the mare out for any problems. While the vet is there, he notices the other horses are very thin and in deplorable condtion. He calls Deb to let her know her mare is fine but he has called animal control and she will have to get her out of the impound from them.

Kristina's horses are seized and she is charged. She had also sold a boarder's horse after she told them that the horse had died. And then she sent them the vet bill! http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/15633/OR/US/

Deb wins her lawsuit for the breeding contract and the impound fees but no money for what the foal would be worth.

Just unbelievable!

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

I don't believe it! The one day I'm not around the house to watch this show and I miss this! I was out trying to get in groceries for this huge snowstorm that's goin' through the area....

I find these court shows very entertaining and every once in a while a horse case will pop up, but once in a blue moon....

Anyway--who is Deb??? The plaintiff is Sue and the defendant is Kristina--where does Deb figure into this whole scenario??? And Kristina is the bad guy, right??? Sorry if I seem obtuse....

These shows are an "agreed forum" and nobody goes there unless they want to. The defendant in this case must be brain dead to agree to something like this. Or maybe they thought that "chutzpah" would win over fact. I've seen that a time or two.

Or maybe they pay "litigants" better than we think they do.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    Anyway--who is Deb??? The plaintiff is Sue and the defendant is Kristina--where does Deb figure into this whole scenario??? And Kristina is the bad guy, right??? Sorry if I seem obtuse....
    My mistake, I had a "palomino" moment. Her name was Sue, and yes Kristina was the bad guy. I was so entralled with Kristina explaining how there was a big mistake and that she had just picked up some rescue horses to rehome. Of course the judge wanted to know why all the horses were seized along with the minor detail of the "dead" horse being sold. I think Kristina was on "Fuglie's" hit list a while ago because when the testimony was presented it sure sounded familar.

The case that was presented was actually not about animal cruelty charges. A woman was suing Kristina over a horse that belonged to said woman. The mare was sent to Kristina to be bred. All of the info regarding Kristina being found guilty of animal cruelty was presented.....which she of course denied. Looking through your link, being convicted in OR can carry a max $100,000 fine and 5 years jail time.

Shine, you wouldn't happen to have a link to the actual show, would you? I went to The People's Court site and could not find it. I missed the first few minutes and would love to see the whole show once again.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    These shows are an "agreed forum" and nobody goes there unless they want to. The defendant in this case must be brain dead to agree to something like this. Or maybe they thought that "chutzpah" would win over fact. I've seen that a time or two.

Or maybe they pay "litigants" better than we think they do.

G.
    Yup, that's how it works. Years ago my BO was approached to take their case to the TV show, the staff scans all the court dockets to look for "interesting/unusual" cases. Her's was farm related, former newbie-horse-owning boarder trying to sue the BO because her horse got scraped up when turned out with 40 other horses in the 90 acre pasture. Needless to say the former boarder lost the case. Oh, did I fail to mention that this horse was on pasture board?
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I saw it! I DVR it every day.

She was suing for the value of the breeding, the value of the planned foal, and the vet fees.

The rest of the stuff that came out had me I mean seriously. Who goes on public knowing that they are going to have all the info on you and aren't going to just buy that it was a big mistake.

And then at the selling of the "dead horse" that was microchipped. Another simple misunderstanding.

I'm glad she came on. Sounds like she is still in the business and needs her face out there so people are warned.

Can't believe I missed it! I love People's Court-I've watched it since the Wapner days!!-dating myself there-and love Judge Judy too!

Especially love the loose dog/dog bite cases-and the horse ones-they are really rare! But daughter moving out of her dorm from hell, to a private apartment took up all of yesterday. Well, there are always reruns, or perhaps it will come up online....

RND - Sorry I don't have a link, I wish I did because I missed the couple minutes

The first couple of minutes was kind of boring. Sue explained she had a horse for sale. Buyer wanted horse but didn't have money. He did have a breeding contract to Kristina's stallion though so gave that to Sue for the horse. Sue then makes arraingement to have her mare breed. Mare was picked up by Kris(tina)

Sue gets a call that Kris couldn't make it happen so Judge ask how do you make it happen. So, Kris explains how a helper holds the mare and she walks stallion out to mare.

It was after this that it got really interesting.

I can't believe others watch People's Court! I thought I was the only weirdo - I see it most days while I eat lunch! The ongoing joke I tell my husband is that my constant companion, my little terrrier, Alex, loves People's Court, so I only put it on for his benefit. I'm sad I missed one of the few horsie cases....er, I mean, Alex is sad he missed a horsie case.

Somebody posted the segment on Youtube, Kristina1, 2 and 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4mC_gstqHI
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

I can't believe others watch People's Court! I thought I was the only weirdo....
    Hey, hey, hey!!!! I resemble that last remark....

At least watching that show isn't exclusively a "PA" thing....

I watch it nearly every day and I can't believe some of the stuff that comes out of people's mouths! No wonder this society is in the shape it's in....
    Last edited by Cherry; Feb. 7, 2010 at 02:38 AM.