The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question question about possible hitchiness

I think we may have had a little break-through in our training this week. My trainer had me focus my thinking on allowing my horse's hind legs to come through more with my seat. For a while now, I have been feeling much tightness in the right side of my back, down through my upper thigh. I know that we've been holding against each other. But this new thinking seems to be really helpful with this. Today, my horse was really good. I noticed that he was very relaxed and supple, and super easy to ride. I also noticed though, that a few times, he may have seemed to have a little hitch on the step-down of his inside hind when traveling right (the side which I am usually sore on). So I am wondering if he is possibly sore as a result of coming through more on this side? I will talk to my trainer about it, but I just thought I would pick brains. I guess I am looking for experience with this if possible. THanks!!

The short answer is yes. There may be an underlying issue that is aggravated by the new work.
    i'd say proceed unless it gets worse, then phone the vet
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Agree with Petstorejunkie, but would like to ad ...

Are you making him sore? Is he anticipating getting a stiff which-ever-side of rider when his back is on the upswing?

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Are you making him sore? Is he anticipating getting a stiff which-ever-side of rider when his back is on the upswing?
    Well, that is what I am wondering. I am sure that what we have been doing wasn't awesome, since I have been getting off sore. But he has been progressing well in a lot of other ways. I just thought it intriguing that once we started to have a really cool break-through, especially with the whole hind end thing, he did a few little hitchies...

sometimes horse is just muscle sore from working tight muscles, but sometimes horses develop an uneven way of going to spare a part of their body, when asked to travel correctly one is taking that adjustment away from them. for example, a horse takes a short stride on one hind leg or doesn't push as hard with that hind leg, to avoid using a joint more fully, because there is a little something going on with that joint.

not possible to say one way or the other, from the description.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    sometimes horse is just muscle sore from working tight muscles, but sometimes horses develop an uneven way of going to spare a part of their body, when asked to travel correctly one is taking that adjustment away from them. for example, a horse takes a short stride on one hind leg or doesn't push as hard with that hind leg, to avoid using a joint more fully, because there is a little something going on with that joint.

not possible to say one way or the other, from the description.
    Yeah, that is exactly what I am thinking. I know it is impossible to say what it is with just my description. I just was curious as to whether it could be his reluctance to step through as opposed to an underlying problem. I will definitely keep an eye on it. Thanks, guys.

if it continues...elusive signs of uneven strides can be tough to track down. beware the serious issue that hides in nice soft arena footing. jog the horse on a driveway or other hard unforgiving surface, have vet flex him, have farrier test feet with hoof testers, etc.

a lot of horses in winter are foot sore from ice or frozen ground. could be that simple.

If possible, get someone to video you. This is how I caught maresy's left hock acting up again. *Many* vet visits and bills later, we seem to be on the road to soundness (after hock injections, a short rest period, treatment for Lyme, etc... Through most of it I have been able to keep riding her, though mostly at the walk and only on good footing. She was very tight from compensating for her stiff hocks; the last visit added robaxin to her regime and just getting her muscles more relaxed has been of enormous benefit.)

Best of luck!

Rule of thumb is that if you are sore, your horse is sore.

That generally applies to the single horse/rider pair (your not riding multiple horses every day nor is your horse being ridden by multiple riders).

It's a great learning tool, just like at certain times riding many horses each day is a great learning tool.

Anyway, assuming its just you and your horse, then if you are sore, your horse is going to be sore.

However, horse should work out of it when you warm up just like you should work out of it when you warm up.
    Last edited by BaroquePony; Feb. 12, 2010 at 01:41 PM.

I wouldn't always ignore unevenness the horse warms up out of.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Rule of thumb is that if you are sore, your horse is sore.
    Really good point. Thanks.