The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pull On Tall Boots vrs Zipper Tall Boots

Im in need of new tall boots and have 4 pair of pull on boots in the past and so a good deal of boots came up BUT they have zippers. WWYD? My Trainer's daughter had a pair of boots and her zippers broke within a yr of haveing them.

The boots are the Grand Pix Elites.

Where is this good deal on those boots? I LOFF them!!!! The fit is absolutely amazing on me, and I've been looking for a deal for a while.

I say zippers are a bit of a necessary evil if you want that really slim ankle fit; especially if you have a 'curvier' calf to begin with. Just make sure the boots aren't so tight that the zipper doesn't have a chance of staying in one piece.

i've never had trouble with zippers. my boots are... dear god i think they're 15 years old. i had the zipper put in them though after they were made custom and i couldnt stand trying to get my big feet in and out.

go zipper. you will otherwise always have to depend on soemone to pull them off for you. it's a great way to find yourself being avoided...

Expensive zipper boots look beautiful. Cheaper ones, not so much. Der dau finally got the picture and started adding elastic to their zipper tall boots which will help minimize zipper breakage. But the problem is that if your boot is just a little bit too tight, the zipper is going to break. If you're going to do zipper boots, you have to make sure they fit almost perfectly. The other thing I'm not a huge fan is that if they're just the slightest bit too tall, the zipper will drop while you're riding and that looks tacky.

I still like the look of the pull ons with the drop in the ankles but they're a pain in the butt to break in and definitely not convenient to wear daily. I'm breaking in a pair right now and it's TORTURE! haha

I was in the opposite situation. I found an awesome deal on Grand Prix elites, however they did not have zippers (I wanted zippers). I got them anyways. They are very, very nice. I would prefer zippers though. I think that the zippers make for a slimmer fit. I would go for it. Grand Prix Elites have a very good reputation. I love mine!
    "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

My personal preference is pull ons. Zippers definitely seem more popular these days, but I've seen them brake at the most inopportune moments more times than I can count.

I would only consider getting zippers (no matter how good of a deal), if I had a backup pair boots.

I like the convenience of zipper boots, but I'd never go to a show without a pair of the pull on kind available in case of emergency. I have not heard how the Grand Prix zippers hold up, but we've all heard horror stories about Ariat zippers. In all fairness, my Ariat zip up boots are doing well, and my back ups are a 25 year old pair of pull on Grand Prixs.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Yup - my Ariat zippers busted at a combined training show. Of course I wasn't clever enough to have a backup pair. I haven't had any joy regardless of brand with the zippers lately. So I've gone back to pull ons.

Ive only had custom Vogels....but I never liked the look of zippers. I have the elastic gussets at the upper leg to make the leg look slimmer and more custom fit. I can't imagine being somewhere and having the zipper break..and everthing Ive ever owned I break the zipper.

Get the zippers - and always have a roll or two of black electrical tape handy :-)

I prefer the pull ons. I carry show sheen with me so that they slide over my foot. My legs swell up some so I need to have the stubborness of non-zips.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Can't say enough good things about my Der Dau zipper field boots. I had pull ons and they were a pain. The look of the zipper is nicer (I think) because it can really get slim around your ankle.

I love my Ariat Challenges with zippers. I have never had zipper problems with any of my Ariat boots and I put them through a lot of "abuse"!

Zippers in tall boots tend to fail. Nature of the beast. Until they break they provide a lovely "leg picture" since the ankle is so much more fitted. Leg Picture don't mean squat when you have to electrical tape your boots shut before a medal class. (yepp, i was that girl)

Go for the pull-ons, as long as they fit well.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

My trainer told me to get pull on's.