The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to find trades? (Horses)

How do people go about finding trades of horses/ponies? I have only done one trade and it was with a friend.

I am trying to find a beginner safe pony but wouldn't mind doing some kind of trade instead of buying since I have so many. I know lots of people or trainers do different trades but how do you find them? Just list ads as "may trade"? Other ideas? TIA!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Advertising as may trade is one way to go about it...... I traded horses with a woman about a year and a half ago, I didn't advertise as willing to trade but I had what she was looking for and she asked if I would be open to the idea. She brought her horse to my place, we rode each others, and she left with mine. Worked great for both of us, she loved her new horse, and as mine was just a re-sale I actually ended up with something that was nicer and actually easier to re-sell. Perhaps start cruising the ads and see what you want and then approach the owner about it. Also if you have a pony in mind already or a barn that has something you may be interested in try contacting the trainer and see if they would consider it. Never hurt to ask!

Sometimes professional dealers will be willing to work a trade--although it may not be even and you may have to provide something "to boot".

a friend of mine traded from equine.com
    she had for sale or trade. she wanted a jumper and the other person wanted a hunter. so they brought two horses to my training barn and they both rode. they did a mini trial and traded. i know my friend is much happier with her new horse than she was with the old one.

It's not as hard as you might think. I've traded many times, and I'd say 90% of the time was quite happy with the trade-- the other 10% was my own stupidity, I got blinded by something and overlooked a major flaw

What do you have to offer for a trade? Generally there are two types of people looking to trade-- one type is looking for something broke and safe (maybe they are overfaced by their current horse, or just finding they don't have the time/knowledge to deal with their greenie, etc). The other type has outgrown their current horse and are looking for a step-up.

Or, there are the people like me, who buy a horse completely unsuitable for their chosen discipline because it was pretty and trade for something more appropriate!

A few years ago I think trading was more popular... right now, a lot of people are trying to cut down on their numbers. This might be the problem you run into. A lot of sellers are willing to trade but mostly for things that don't eat.
    Vancouver Equine
    www.vaneq.com

I have heard HORROR stories over some trades, and feel usuallly someone does end up with the short end of the stick... However I traded a young event prospect for a schoolmaster type hunter/dressage mare that needed a step down for my mom. Both horses are thriving in their new homes and worked out well for all involved.
    Good luck!

I have done three trades recently. All were horses that I had listed or other people had listed as may trade. In my horse's adds I put something like "willing to trade for an experienced jumper". I did a sight unseen trade for a green hunter for a childrens pony from MI to CA. We saw video and vetted. She saw video. We arranged transportion... very easy and everyone happy. I traded a pony jumper and a pony hunter for a junior jumper prospect. I drove my ponies out to PA from MI. Rode the horse, they rode the ponies, no vetting. We came home with the horse and left both ponies. One did the jumpers with the kid for a year and is for sale again, the other was sold asap, but that was the plan. Again, very happy on both ends. Also traded a large pony for a childrens jumper. The horse's owner drove from Chicago to MI. They rode the pony, we rode the horse, they left with the pony, we kept the horse. It is amazing how well that trade worked! I love trades!!!!

I've done a few trades. All with good results. Got my sweet stallion out of a trade on a complicated TB mare (I got the stallion and $$). I had no problem winning divisions on, but people who came to try her lit her up. The lady I traded with is now a great friend and we keep in touch. I LOVE my stallion and she did great with the mare, she went up to Prelim eventing, then had a kid do the C/A jumpers on the A circuit, now she is winning in C/A hunters on the circuit. Couldn't have asked for a better home. Other trades have been great too. I do have a beginner safe large pony that is currently on trial until Friday, if they decide not to keep him, let me know what you have that my working students can compete and I can sell.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA

You have a PM.

I have done a few trades through word of mouth, but never through advertising online or in print. Where are you all advertising that you're getting interest in trades?

PS I have a lovely KWPN mare who is a nice 3' hunter but too much horse for the short stirrup kid who owns her, who needs a safe older large children's pony.

We have done a ton of trades- especially lately! I would look for the horse/pony you want and when you call/email on them ask if they are willing to trade. Some of my ads said- will consider trade but others have just come from people calling me up and asking if the pony/horse I had I would take a trade in. You may have to do trade plus money. Usually if you are asking for the trade then you would need to look for something more expensive than what you have and give them some cash (thats what people really want- but sometimes will take the trade in to make things work).

We have gotten some really good things in trade- also traded (plus cash) for some great stuff too! It can be a great win-win situation!
    www.patchworkfarmga.com

"The harder you train, the luckier you get!"

I had a horse for sale and the owner of a farm contacted me about 2 horses she was willing to trade for my mare. 1 horse would be a straight across trade, the other would have been a trade and she paid me some cash.

I was curious about it so I went to see the two horses. 1 was not a good trade for what I wanted and the other one..... well... he's still in my barn 7 years later!

I would put in your ad that you'd consider a trade and what you're looking for.