The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Default East Coast Snow storm.......

We are located in SouthCentral PA just north of the MD line and our snow started today at 1pm.......predictions estimate we will receive approx. 8-18-24 inches!!!!....
    Since I stupidly instructed the tractor man to go ahead and put the mower deck BACK on.....I estimate we will get hit with the high end......
    Husband picked up some diesel fuel for the tractor/snowblower and confirmed with our mechanic to slide on down and plow us out later......
    Thankfully I did NOT play weather roulette and opted to skip our haul out to an indoor to ride today!
    How is everyone else managing?.....
    Holly, Oli & Ri

We got 1/3 rain, that didn't even start to melt our still mountains of drifts, then another 6" snow on top of them.
    We are totally covered, drifted, but have a beautiful sunny, bright day today.

No one that doesn't has to go somewhere has been getting around the past two days, maybe tomorrow or the next...

We have a A300 Bobcat loader and that is almost as good as a dozer on snow, have not been stuck yet with it.
    The snow drifts are taller on both sides of the road than it is.
    We need the moisture, no one is complaining here.

I sure hope you don't get those 2' of snow our weatherman tells us you will get from this.
    Don't know where you will put it.

Default Snowmageddon

Yep, it's coming, snowpocalypse or snowmageddon your pick.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Oh, we also had a, seriously, EARTHQUAKE two nights ago, while it was snowing and blowing, at 3:40 AM, that rattled the house and woke people here, magnitude 3.4.

The snow that night, maybe the eartquake added to it, collapsed one building's roof and the corner of a horse barn nearby.

Snowmaggedon, indeed.

I'm right outside of Philadelphia and nothing yet! Calling for 18 inches, so not TOO bad !

Leesburg's forecast from www.weather.gov:

This Afternoon: Snow. High near 32. East wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow and areas of blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 27. Northeast wind between 11 and 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 16 to 22 inches possible.

Saturday: Snow and areas of blowing snow. High near 29. North wind between 16 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

That's a minimum of 2 FEET and more likely THREE FEET because it's just been getting deeper and deeper all day!

Photos from my window: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=dbafbc9185 You shouldn't need a FB account to see them. Please let me know if you can't & I'll adjust the privacy settings. I take new pictures every hour on the hour, so keep checking to see how deep it gets. Street views will be added later as well.
    Last edited by HighFlyinBey++; Feb. 5, 2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Adding photo link
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Here in our corner of western Loudoun I'm surprised that we haven't gotten more accumulation today. Snow started at around 1030am, but was wet and not sticking. It seems to just now be starting to stick, and my deck railing reports just two inches. But it looks like we're destined to get two feet plus. We've got fuel, hay, and I ran to Southern States at lunch time for extra bedding and feed (just in case our delivery can't make it next week). Our strategy is to shovel tonight, plow and shovel tomorrow morning, and again at the end of the day. Hubby will plow a circular path in the pasture (blade set 4-6 inches above the ground) for the horses when it's over. Then my old retired OTTB will make the rest of our horses march, march, march in circles! Looking forward to all the photo ops.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Jazz....lookin forward to pics of your "boss" workin the herd.....LOL.
    It didn't get "serious" here till about 4 pm.....it's' sticking now.....
    I told friends if my mare went well in her lesson yesterday it would be a big one.......looks like she went even better than I thought.....
    It will be fun to see pics of this.....and even more fun to see it MELT!
    Holly, Oli & Ri
    Eventer 55.....LOL.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Or as some wag put it yesterday at work: SnOMG
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Quote Originally Posted by Oldenburg Mom View Post
    Or as some wag put it yesterday at work: SnOMG

Sums it up: http://www.snowmageddondc.com/

Here in southern Md the snow started around 10. Roads ok so far. Got a lesson in this morning then waved bye bye to the horse for the next few days. Winters like this make me glad I board.

And again, it will miss us!! Come on, we are in Canadaa, aren't we supposed to get some winter. I want it now, not in two months....

All the dog transports out of KY and OH are cancelled this weekend. For some poor doggies, it is the 3rd weekend in a row..

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    LMAO!!!!

We're supposed to get 8 inches here. Most concerning is the freezing rain so even our pasture only ponies are in til the all clear.

I'm so tired of snow and mud. *sigh*

Exclamation

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/iwxpa...p/iws0_430.jpg
    Let's just say, I am very glad I went to Sams Club this Monday .

Weather headline " Historic Snowstorm Unfolding"
    FMO:OMG I almost put my eye out hunting clique.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

If the amount of rain we got today is any indication of what it will be like coming down as frozen precipitation, you all better hunker down!

In the meanwhile, our airports down here are full of cranky people that can't get home due to the weather (just watched it on the news).

Everyone be safe out there.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

When it started to stick it got awfully slippery very fast.

I was out on the tractor moving hay and even in 4 wheel drive started going sideways down the hill.

Which was ok because that's where I was headed anyway, but I would have preferred to be under control. Kinda felt like I was on a slow runaway.

I did have to rescue some chickens that had taken shelter under the generator. All present or accounted for!

I do hope for a slow melt or my place will flood.

Started snowing in earnest here around 5 pm....it already is accumulating. They say my area will get from 12-18", so we'll see. If the wind doesn't kick up it should be fairly manageable. I really do need to find someone to plow me out, though; it's ironical, I can get in and out but the mailman will refuse to deliver mail until everything is gone. What a racket.
    The horse I bet on was so slow, the jockey kept a diary of the trip.
    Henny Youngman

Bluey, seriously??? You hit the weather trifecta: snow/wind/EARTHQUAKE!? Holy crap!

Hey peeps, stay safe and hunker down. I think we are going to skirt the worst of it, and frankly, we're the ones who know how to deal with it!

In the past 12 hours here in NC we've had 1.5" of snow, sleet, freezing rain, and HEAVY rain. The heavy has caused flash floods. I have to brave knee deep raging streams to feed my outdoor ponies

Has anyone seen the movie Day After Tomorrow?? This is starting to remind me of that....
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by foundationmare View Post
    Hey peeps, stay safe and hunker down. I think we are going to skirt the worst of it, and frankly, we're the ones who know how to deal with it!
    I know, we will be paralyzed for at least a week. It is really cranking here; calling for near-blizzard conditions tonight. I just pray the electric does not go out.

I'm saying "UNCLE" on the snow. Hard to tell how much we have here in the lower Shenandoah Valley seeing as how we had 8" or more last weekend and another 4" Tuesday. Probably 6" of fresh and it is mixing with the dreaded "wintry mix" now. All horses and donkey happily munching on hay. Having to keep going out to brush off the satellite TV dish and that's getting to be a pain.

Agree with ChemTech that the most important thing is to keep the electricity - but this may be the one to make it go. Filled all available buckets in the barn with water. The big outside water tank is full - but will be a major PITA to move water from there to the main barn. Plenty of provisions and diesel for tractor so will start digging out Sunday after it ends. Thankfully, can work from home.

I'm wishing for daffodils!