The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ever have a moment when you realize you smell like horse when you shouldn't?

Is snowing where I am and its supposed to be near apocalypse snow by the time I go home today so I decided to wear my stouter shoes to work. I find myself sitting in a small-ish conference room with several coworkers on a teleconference, when suddenly it occurs to me it smells vaguely of horse poop. Seeing as how I am the only horse person in the room, I amuse I should start looking for the problem close to home. Then it occurs to me I have recently worn these shoes to the barn to check on the horse. Hmmm... in the warm conference room I am definitely giving off perfume de horse.

Anyone else every realized they carried the farm away with them a little too late?

I forgot to switch my boots in the car from my winter paddock boots I walked the dog in to my Ariat fatbaby boots that I don't really wear to the barn. At least they don't look too dirty.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

There's a time I SHOULDN'T smell like horse?
    *shock*
    Yes I get it, and for me it's usually tripping around the grocery store getting 'the look' and watching noses twitch!
    Whatev!

Ha ha! This just happened to me the other day. I had three people in my (fairly small) office for a conference call and we had the door closed. The sun was out and my office was a bit warm. As we are all huddled around the phone, I realize, wow, something in here is pretty "ripe" and it's definitely a horse smell. It is then that I realize that it is my winter boots, which I wore to the barn the previous evening, and which are now sitting under my desk taking a direct hit from the afternoon sun. Just then, I look up and see that one of the other people in the room is holding a framed picture of me showing one of my old horses. He says, "do you show much?" Preoccupied with the embarassing smell, I hear it as "do you shower much?" I respond "all the time!" (I hardly SHOW at all these days, but I do shower an awful lot due to the horses, lol). Just then, the other participants in the conference call join and we start talking business.

Oh, goodness.

I'm pregnant, and my "work" coat, which is a more fitted style, no longer even pretends to button. I've been wearing my "barn" coat to work, which has been more or less ok at my office since we have a lot of personal space. I haven't been able to do much at the barn anyways, so it's not even very stinky. However, I noticed in a crowded conference room at a customer site that it is not completely stink free It is also fluorescent orange - I got it off of a clearance rack and figured that it would at least be useful if anyone needed to find my body in the snow at some point. Very professional...

Too funny. I forget all the time how dirty I actually am. I don't even think about the smell. I always got to the grocery store in my barn clothes. One day I was reaching for some deli meat and it wouldn't come off the hook. There was a guy standing there and he made a joke and I looked at my coat sleeve on the arm that was reaching and I thought "I wonder if that guy notices how filthy my clothes are". Oh well. LOL
    Shouldn't your advertising be as beautiful as your horses?

www.pixelgraphixdesign.com

Default On a daily basis

Happens on a daily basis ~ no longer worry about it much - maybe just when I get a hair cut ~ I live in the country so I aways think there are others probably smellier than I ~ and cow shit is worse smelling than horse manure ~ so what's the problem ? IMHO !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from the barn. My boots looked clean, but apparently the aroma was locked into them...a woman in front of me in line suddenly said "What IS that SMELL?" I just looked at her innocently, but I knew it was my boots.

Talking

Horse smell? What's that?
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    There's a time I SHOULDN'T smell like horse?
    *shock*
    Yes I get it, and for me it's usually tripping around the grocery store getting 'the look' and watching noses twitch!
    Whatev!
    That's me too!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Ha ha! This just happened to me the other day. I had three people in my (fairly small) office for a conference call and we had the door closed. The sun was out and my office was a bit warm. As we are all huddled around the phone, I realize, wow, something in here is pretty "ripe" and it's definitely a horse smell. It is then that I realize that it is my winter boots, which I wore to the barn the previous evening, and which are now sitting under my desk taking a direct hit from the afternoon sun. Just then, I look up and see that one of the other people in the room is holding a framed picture of me showing one of my old horses. He says, "do you show much?" Preoccupied with the embarassing smell, I hear it as "do you shower much?" I respond "all the time!" (I hardly SHOW at all these days, but I do shower an awful lot due to the horses, lol). Just then, the other participants in the conference call join and we start talking business.

Oh, goodness.
    Too funny!
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Cool WHAT?!?!?!?

... and I thought it was the rest of the world smelling the place up with non- horsie smells!

Hey, at least I work for a Tack and Feed store- it's kinda more acceptable...
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique

Driving some collegues to a meeting last week. Had my half chaps on the passenger side floor right under the heater. You know it's bad when even you think yuck!

FA: Love the shower comment!

To me I smell like roses. Seriously though, I do it all the time. Ride and go to the grocery store or to eat. lol After shows running out to get food etc... Oh well, gotta do what I gotta do

Yesterday I had parent/teacher conferences. Needless to say here we have had horrible riding weather and yesterday was AMAZING, so I had to ride. Didn't have time to shower and change after riding and working a pony so I went as is. I did warn the teacher though Told her I'm probably the only parent that has ever come in to warn her I probably stink. She just laughed and said no problem. Its nice today I don't blame ya.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Hmmm, I'm sitting in my office wearing the duck boots I worre to the barn. I wore rain pants over my jeans, but they look a bit 'dingy'. I've been wearing my rain jacket all day, and as I look at it, I see signs of equine lovin' on the arms. I think I removed all the bits of hay from my hair when I got here.

I'm sure I'm giving off a certain odor - but I haven't noticed Maybe my coworkers have and just haven't mentioned it? Maybe they're used to it by now too!
    Y'all ain't right!

Default cell phone...oops!

my most recent embarrassment.... someone at work asked to borrow my phone...I of course let them...they do their thing & hand it back to me... my phone rings, i pick it up and realize the smell coming off the thing is very horsie-

oops. sorry, friend!

the sad part is, i like it the way it smells- reminds me of the barn when i can't be there

Yes that happened to me the other day at NCAA National signing day for my son's football scholarship photo shoot, I had a ski jacket that I had been wearing to the barn, when someone said "I smell hay!" I quickly took it off and folded on the chair next to his father, my ex!

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsefaith View Post
    my most recent embarrassment.... someone at work asked to borrow my phone...I of course let them...they do their thing & hand it back to me... my phone rings, i pick it up and realize the smell coming off the thing is very horsie-

oops. sorry, friend!

the sad part is, i like it the way it smells- reminds me of the barn when i can't be there
    OMG - me too! My BlackBerry smells very much like the barn, and, yes, I like it too! I think it is made worse by the neoprene cover thing I have on it, but I had to get that because I kept dropping the darn thing in the barn aisle and the phone would pop apart in several pieces. I had one of the IT guys at work look at it the other day to fix a problem with it (yeah, um, did I mention I drop it a lot?) and I'm sure he could smell it! He didn't say anything, though. Probably just figured I am an unsanitary person, lol.

I think horse beats the ones that seem to bathe in their cologne/after shave anyday. At least my hair dresser is used to the occassional hay piece that I miss When I do go into my office, my office mate also owns horses, so nobody to notice any aroma there. We live in the country and many of the people farm, so often times horse aroma or hay on my clothes/hair doesn't even raise an eyebrow
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I'm sure I do, but I don't even notice the smell. I do love the smell when I get in my car after I've been to the barn and then back home and showered, then I can smell it...of course the passengers in my car probably don't like it much..oh well!