The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help with Holsteiner inspections/registry possibilities

I have a Holsteiner mare with a German Verband papers. She has had one foal in Europe who also is registered Holsteiner.

My understanding from the AHHA is that I can get AHHA papers for her, but I need to get her inspected to get anything more than a CoP for her foal once I have AHHA papers for her. My question is, if she had a foal in Europe (who was a filly and has since also been used for breeding) wouldnt she have been inspected in Europe? and how do I find out? Her foal to be is by Cortilo, who is a Holsteiner but not approved AHHA. What can I do/should I do for the baby?

Thanks for all your help!!

if hv mare was bonited prior to importation, owner still pays ahha for cross-registration, a part of which involves ahha office retrieving bonits from hv. she does not need to be inspected again in this case.

regardless, upcoming foal only gets a cp as sire isn't approved. if foal is a filly and returns to be bonited at 3yo or older and scores premium, she remains cp (not registered nor brandable) but her offspring are fully registerable and brandable.

if sire subsequently achieves hv approval for breeding i believe foal is eligible for paper 'upgrade' (registerable and brandable) but office could confirm that. office # is 502-863-4239 but they're all in california this weekend pow-wowing in their agm.

Thank you - I am coming into breeding from the performance side of things so I am not as familiar with the technical ins and outs as I should be.

So, in Europe, mares used for breeding are all inspected?

The registry that would be inspecting the foal must have already approved the sire and dam. Dam can be presented at the same time as the foal. Verband approved sires can be activated with the AHHA so that your foal is fully register-able. I hope that helps.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyponies View Post
    Thank you - I am coming into breeding from the performance side of things so I am not as familiar with the technical ins and outs as I should be.

So, in Europe, mares used for breeding are all inspected?
    Yes , in HOLSTEIN all mares used for breeding must be inspected , given bonits and entered into the appropriate book.

Thank you everyone - I will call the AHHA on Monday. I now feel more equipped to ask intelligent questions!!!

Plus I think I have a better mare than I knew - when I decided to breed her, it was because she was a good performance horse - the owner knew she had a passport but couldnt find it!! I finally got it after I bred her - definately a bit of beginners dumb luck!

That is good luck. So, what is her breeding?

Tim
    www.sparlingrock.com

She is Obsession v't Ruytershof (allbreeds pedigree has it as 'vit' not v't) out of Canaletto (aka Candaletto by Cantus) who jumped internationally with Charlotte Velin out of a Carthago Z mare. Second damsire is Renomee Z.

According to Horsetelex.nl she has had one foal out of Quidam de Revel called Celebration v't Ruytershof - hence my questions about whether or not she would have been inspected in Europe. The filly is in the BWP studbook thou - does that mean Obsession may have been inspected in Belgium and potentially have Belgian recognition as well? - not really sure how that all works over there. . .

foals come 'out of' mares and are 'by' stallions. the daughter of your mare is 'by' quidam, not 'out of' him.

if the foal is registered belgian then yes, that would normally indicate they have inspected the mare. the affiliate registries here should be able to look up inspection histories from their parent books in europe for you to let you know what she has done and/or needs to do in order to breed into a given book here. you're giving snippets of information which could indicate she may have been seen by both belgian and holsteiner judges in europe, but you should go to the sources to be certain.

one difference it would make is that in cross registering her with the ahha, there should be no inspection fee payable, i believe, as the bonits awarded in her youth would remain valid. there remains is a cross-registration fee payable regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyponies View Post
    She is Obsession v't Ruytershof (allbreeds pedigree has it as 'vit' not v't) out of Canaletto (aka Candaletto by Cantus) who jumped internationally with Charlotte Velin out of a Carthago Z mare. Second damsire is Renomee Z.

According to Horsetelex.nl she has had one foal out of Quidam de Revel called Celebration v't Ruytershof - hence my questions about whether or not she would have been inspected in Europe. The filly is in the BWP studbook thou - does that mean Obsession may have been inspected in Belgium and potentially have Belgian recognition as well? - not really sure how that all works over there. . .
    Would this Carthago / Renomee mare be from stamm 242 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhawk View Post
    Would this Carthago / Renomee mare be from stamm 242 ?
    I was wondering the same thing.

Tim
    www.sparlingrock.com

Obsession's passport says Stamm 104b. Her dam is Kirby.

....much smaller than its better known related stam; 104a which is a large and important stam. unfortunately your mare's stam not only is much less productive but also she is unrelated to any of the few significant horses which have come from 104b for at least four generations. this is likely why she was put into sport (perhaps bred for this purpose and not for breeding). she lacks what holsteiner breeders usually like to see in a pedigree in terms of family and genetic heritage. still, if she is a good individual of nice type and who showed well, she may nonetheless breed nicely for you. i would tend to steer away from further heavy ramiro influence in the sire line of a stallion choice for her.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate you all sharing your knowledge. She was bred once in Europe as a 3 yr old - to Quidam de Revel - but then aimed towards sport.

Yes she was a super jumper - very careful, scopey and a lot of heart. Maybe not GP scope but definately hi a/o type scope. Unfortunately for my friend who imported her she got hurt and doesnt stay sound jumping. My realistic goal is to bred some nice junior/amateur jumpers out of her, maybe for myself or to sell on. If I get more than that, great. I'm not sure I'd get a hunter out of her because she had too much blood for a good hunter, although pretty enough. (I have a nice big attractive TB mare that I am aiming to breed hunters out of, who comes from a line of TBs that jump in good technique and are built uphill.)

Please check your PTs.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook