The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do I know if I need a more forward flap?

How do I know for sure if I need a more forward flap?

I have a BC Tex Eventer on-trial from Trumbull Mtn and I'm trying to decide if I need an EVEN MORE forward flap...

When my stirrups are in gallop length knee is to the edge of the flap - not over, just right to the edge. My main fault in jumping position is that my lower leg slides back and I wonder if I'm not compensating for the fit of the saddle I currently own (older BC Jump w/ straighter flap) - as if I am unable to get my knee up enough to keep my lower leg more forward. I don't have freakishly long legs (at least I don't *think* I do) - I'm only 5'4"!

I've been looking through photos of ULR's going x-country and trying to figure out how much space most people have from their knee to the front of the flap.

Trumbull Mtn doesn't stock The Vinici Advance model but it looks like Farmhouse might. It seems like that saddle has a really forward flap. Here's a snippet about the saddle that I found from a shop in the UK in case you're not familiar. For some reason, BC doesn't have anything about this model on their website, but apparently it's different from the Vinici Tex Eventer.

http://www.dragonflysaddlery.co.uk/a...ing&itemid=376

More photos of the different styles side-by-side
    http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...les/Categories

Thoughts on the different BC models?

Can you take a pic and post it? That's probably the best way to tell. Also, how used is the demo? If the demo isn't really really broken in, it's a little hard to tell. As it gets oiled and broken in, the saddle will soften up and your knee will settle in place, usually with a bit of room to spare.

Smile

Good thoughts. The demo is brand-spankin' new and I'll beg the DH to come out to the barn tonight to take some photos.

I have the BC Tex Eventer with a pretty forward flap, but I have those freakishly long legs you referred to . My knee comes pretty close to the front of it , but I have yet to slam it into the front thigh block, so I guess it's okay .

Smile

Catalina, thanks for the photo! Excellent equitation and super-cute horse! What size seat is your BC Tex Eventer and did you get the standard flap or the forward flap option?

One of the things I didn't like about the Text Eventer is that the flap is not nearly forward enough for those who like to crank up their stirrups. If you're on the shorter side, then it should be okay (or if you like to ride long), but otherwise - for me - they were just too darn straight.

I have a photo here of Phillip Dutton as my desktop wallpaper, and I'm looking at his famous blue Devoucoux... now THAT is a forward flap. (Granted, I'm not a fan of Devoucoux's construction/quality/cost, but that's not the point. )
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalSelection View Post
    Catalina, thanks for the photo! Excellent equitation and super-cute horse! What size seat is your BC Tex Eventer and did you get the standard flap or the forward flap option?
    It is an 18" and I got the forward flap (but not super forward, I didn't want my knee halfway up my horse's neck ). I LOVE my saddle and so do my horses.

Looking at Catalina's picture, I'd say that she needs a more forward flap, but the forward part needs to be HIGHER - does that make sense? Your knee should just snug into a little pocket right behind the knee block/roll when you're up out of the saddle - if your knee is very close or on top of it when you're sitting that might be okay. It's more important that it supports you when you're up in two-point.

OP - if your leg looks like Catalina's does, I'd say you probably need a more forward flap, but it's hard to say WHERE the flap needs to more forward without seeing a pic.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I think it is hard to tell from Catalina's pic if she needs a more forward flap because not all her weight is in her heel. I'd want to see a few more pics, maybe just some in galloping position before deciding.

NaturalSelection--are you looking at the monoflap or double flap?
    I

Quote Originally Posted by WishIWereRiding View Post
    I think it is hard to tell from Catalina's pic if she needs a more forward flap because not all her weight is in her heel. I'd want to see a few more pics, maybe just some in galloping position before deciding.

Yea, the flap is fine, it's the gosh darn heel that is the problem . Lots of 2 point for Catalina (once I can ride again after the 10' of snow we are getting ).

Here's another picture where you can see the knee position pretty well.

Here's another for comparison: http://www.pbase.com/wendysmoak/image/120064938

That's an 18" Antares marked 3AA -- long, extra forward flap.

If I were ordering it custom I probably wouldn't have gotten both the 18" seat and *that* aggressive a flap, but I found it used for a good price, and it rides beautifully. After that awful Wintec, this is like having a seatbelt.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    I think it fits pretty well. I like how your knee is snuggled under the block.

NaturalSelection-- how did my old Quantum w/ forward flap fit you? If it fit well, then an extra-forward (1") Tex Eventer might also work for you-- that is what I have now. This is the best angle I have: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...5&id=807228069

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    My bad. It appears that your saddle fits you just fine . sorry!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

IME/IMO there is just no telling until you try a saddle, with stirrups, on the horse, and go out and ride in it. Sitting on one in the tack store just does NOT cut it. Looking at pictures is a crapshoot. My trainer (just as one example) is 5'11" and nothing but leg and she rides in the exact same saddle I do (size, seat, flap, everything the same), and it's fine for both of us.
    Click here before you buy.

Smile Photos tonight, I promise!

Thanks for all the photos! Wsmoak's photo is how forward I thought the flap should be and that's definitely not the way I look in this saddle.

CookiePony - your BC Quantum fit me pretty well. Unfortunately I figured out it still wasn't the right fit for Horse #1 so I ended up selling it to a friend at the barn. Horse #1 is currently laid-up and when he comes back to work he can stay in my older BC Jump (shark-fin withers means he needs a narrow tree) until he proves he can take care of his legs and stay sound for at least 3 mo at a time.

This saddle is for Horse #2 who needs a MW-tree and if I'm going to spend all the $$ to get a brand new BC saddle then I want to take advantage of all the customization I need.

The BC Tex Eventer I have on-trial from Trumbull Mtn is a 17" standard double flap saddle. I could special order a more forward flap or the monoflap or potentially that "Advance" model...just wouldn't really have anything to ride-in until the custom saddle arrived.

I would say that you are probably the best judge of whether you need a more forward flap or not. The pics might hellp us to say you *look* like you need x or y or z; but when it comes down to it, it's the feel that matters. If you're thinking maybe it's not quite right... then it certainly could not be. I had a saddle that I absolutely LOVED-- but it wasn't forward enough. Want to know how I knew? 'Cause when I jumped, in my determination to put my knee where it belonged, I would creep out the back of the saddle. Made for all sorts of interesting equitation! When you sit in a comfortable balance on the saddle with leathers at the length you like to jump or gallop in, do you like what your knee does? I think you know the answer.
    --Becky & the gang

"Anyone can slay a dragon, he told me, but try waking up every morning & loving the world all over again. That's what takes a real hero." from storypeople.com

Default Photos

Here's the photo of me in the saddle w/ stirrups at x-c gallop length. I think I need a more forward flap.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1237741084

Or you might consider a 17.5" seat...you seem to be quite long in the femur, IMO. Might be an easier fix than getting an extra forward flap.
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/MarnieCollett

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."-Aristotle