The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hanoverian Breeding Questions from a newbie!

Hi all you knowledgeable breeders out there! I was hoping to get some general advice on the possibility of breeding a horse for myself. I have an 07 Don Frederico filly out of a Wesley (Weltmeyer) mare. I have switched from eventing to Dressage, and am currently riding my ex-Prelim horse 3rd level with hopes of more. I have never owned a WB, and that being said, am not well versed in lines or breeding, but I want to ride Dressage horses who have GP ability. I am an amateur and am 5'3, so I don't need a huge horse. My first question-What are the advantages / disadvantages to breeding a 3 year old vs. an older mare. My filly was born in April 07 and I just sticked her at 15'1! Ouch! She string tests to 16h, so I am assumming she is not done growing, but won't be over 16H. Some of the local vets have said it can take away from the mares' height to breed them while still growing? This filly is mine to keep, as I love everything about her-including her strong personality! She has been easy for me to start, long-line and backed myself so I would love another like her-maybe just a bit bigger! My second question is what are some stallion suggestions? I seem to either love all the smaller guys (Royal Prince, Benidetto, Rubino Bellissmo,) or ones that have similar lines-(I love Don Principe)! I have heard doubling up on Donnerhall might be bad but when I eliminate Donnerhall and Weltmeyer what are my choices? Again, this is a horse for me and I can breed her whenever it would be best, as I plan on riding her. Any ideas would be welcomed, and again, pardon my ignorance.

I wrote a really long answer which wast lost and now I don't have time to write that long again.

Summary:

Yes - you should breed her now as 3-yearold!

When it comes to stallions I need to know more about her type and her gaits, but I would think that you need a stallion with some xx-blood if you don't have that in 3rd or 4th generation.

Look at stallions from F-line (Falsterbo is on his way to the US), R-blood, trakehner (works really well with Donnerhall- and Weltmeyer-blood) or whatever Dutch stallions you have in the US.

Thank you so much for the reply. I would say that her type is not too old style, yet not uber modern either. I wish I had some pics, and when it gets closer, I will add some here. It is so cold and snowy here and she is so hairy that I would not do her justice! Anyway, I like her type, just want more height. Her gaits are great, trot being the best but I canter that also looks very good. The walk seems fine, nothing over the top, but above average. She is extremely well balanced. I can't express how much I love her, and would like her exact copy only a tad bit taller! I have thought about Fabuleux as he is a bit taller, but I prefer a rounder movement and I was told his is flatter? I don't want anything huntery, so I don't know. I also like Bretone, but don't know what he throws, nor do I know about that cross. I want to stay AHS, so an anyone tell me if there is a smaller stallion that might throw height consistently that I might be overlooking? Do you feel that there is no way that if I breed her now that I would not steal any last remaining bit of growth she might do? Again, thanks for taking the time to answer as I do appreciate any breeding wisdom I can get. Has anyone bred Donnerhall on the top and bottom? If so what did you get?

Don Frederico offspring are known to be a bit late to mature, so I bet your girl will grow some more.

Anyways, can you post some photos?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

She sounds interesting..I would love to see pics! I have bred two Don Frederico's. One just recently sold to a competitive professional and the other unfortunately died in a pasture accident as a weanling. Both had very strong personalities ( the older one especially, to say the least!) and both were on the smaller side. They both also had very good gaits and were very athletic.

Don Frederico generally seems to cross well with Lauries Crusador dams or horse with a good dose of blood...so that would be a good choice I think especially if you are into eventing. I am not sure which AHS stallions carry this blood up close but that is the direction I would go. If you could do frozen, Londonderry would be interesting. I would not double up on D line, you will likely get something too heavy and perhaps too long in the back.

As for height and pregnancy, my vet has explained that as long as they are being fed opptimally , it should be fine. A horses height it determined genetically and even if the growth slows during pregnancy, it will eventually catch up.

Good luck!
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Thanks for the input! I will try to get some pics going soon, but she is soooo hairy right now that she looks like a wildebeast! Just kidding, she is still beautiful, even as a hairy monster. As for the eventing, those days are over as I have really been loving my recent dressage journey. I will do some low level stuff for fun and to keep the variety in my training, but am more excited about dressage with her! I think I have decided on breeding her next year, as I have a breed to Rubignon I need to use that I originally bought for a TB mare who died in Nov. I have just leased a Welcome S/ TB cross who is AHS approved that I feel will be a good match for Rubignon, so I might just do that this year. I am not a breeder by any means and am just trying to keep myself in good riding horses for the future, so I have no real financial drivers behind my decisions.