The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Spinoff: If you didn't have horses, what would you spend your money on?

The problem is that my DH can think of a million things to do with the money if we didn't have horses. Pay off the house, put on an addition, travel, buy more rental properties.

After paying off debt, etc., I would probably spend the money on going to more horse conferences about stewarding, judging and course designing, so I could stay involved with horses.

What would you spend the money on?

Probably go back to showing my dogs... I can't afford to do both so I stopped showing them and focused on my horse.

But the 3 dogs I have are done w/ the show ring so that would mean I'd have to get a 4th!

Ponies?

I would save up my money to buy horses.

ETA...

Above is the standard answer I give my husband.

If not for horses tugging at my checkbook, the money would definitely go toward traveling. Not the lets relax by the beach and have a vacation from our problems, for me it would be about the experience. I could easily become an experience collector. I love to travel, especially internationally. Second would be gardening, forget grass, my yard would be a vegetable garden and flower haven. Besides reading horse catalogs and magazines, seed/flower catalogs run a very close second. There is a fabulous garden store near my house and every Spring when making the first buying trip, I fall to my knees and hear angels sing when entering.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

I would go back to the gym, have lots of nice clothes and take a vacation every year. Or I would just quit my second job.

Dawn

I would be saving it all for a house. And I'd probably have a second car. (The 14mpg Jeep is fab and all, but sometimes I'd like to be able to drive more than 200 miles without having to stop and fill up!)

And I'd travel. Gosh I want to travel so much, and I have/will, it just takes so much longer to save up the pennies not only for the trip, but to pay the horse sitter while I'm gone too.

photo/video/computer equipment, dogs (maybe do agility), travel, do yard/house repairs/maintenance ... new car .... list could be endless ....

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Therapy
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    If not for horses tugging at my checkbook, the money would definitely go toward traveling. Not the lets relax by the beach and have a vacation from our problems, for me it would be about the experience. I could easily become an experience collector. I love to travel, especially internationally. Second would be gardening, forget grass, my yard would be a vegetable garden and flower haven. Besides reading horse catalogs and magazines, seed/flower catalogs run a very close second. There is a fabulous garden store near my house and every Spring when making the first buying trip, I fall to my knees and hear angels sing when entering.

What Calhoun said. I'm getting by right now, bc the gardening catalogues started arriving in Jan.

I'd amass enough to retire early and then decide if I want to or not (probably not). I'd also go back to working out a couple times a week with a personal trainer. Hire a cleaning lady. Get a little more focused on showing my dog (she's basically novice level obedience right now). Work on writing fiction. I wouldn't mind updating my wardrobe either...

Definitely vacation every winter though...
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Travel, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Therapy
    Ditto.

I'd have newer clothes, a cleaner car, and be totally miserable.

If I wasn't paying for riding lessons, I might start playing the piano seriously and start taking lessons again, but that's more an issue of time than money (several nearby colleges = music students who give lessons cheaply).

I would like to do, at some point in my life, a trip to Europe....but then I'd want to see the Spanish Riding School, the museum of the horse in France (forget the name), visit various studs and buy some fancy German breeches or something, so it wouldn't really count as non-horse related. Actually, is there anything in my life that doesn't relate to horses in some way????

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Travel first and formost. Probably to attend horse shows just as a spectator. . . which would then make me want a horse. . . vicious cycle.

Guess I would have to plan my travel to not include horse activities.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

BlueEyedSorrel, I've been to Chantilly in France, to the museum that's in the stable there. (The stable is the size of a large castle, by the way.) Is that the one you mean? It's astounding, actually. The day I was there the cross country phase of a 3-day event was going on, and it was glorious. For a horsewoman it was nearly a religious experience!

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    BlueEyedSorrel, I've been to Chantilly in France, to the museum that's in the stable there. (The stable is the size of a large castle, by the way.) Is that the one you mean? It's astounding, actually. The day I was there the cross country phase of a 3-day event was going on, and it was glorious. For a horsewoman it was nearly a religious experience!
    Yes, that's the one! IIRC, it was at one point the offical stables of the French royal family, before King Louis lost his head.
    BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I would save up my money to buy horses.
    Ha ha, yep, me too!

Perimeter fencing and a barn on my retirement land, so I can have horses in a few years.

More sail boats!!!
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge