The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jingles, please, for a torn meniscus (UPDATE: Surgery done, great news!!)

I have a 14-year old Dutch mare who is just a dream. We do lower level Adult Eq. and hunters and I was hoping to take her to Thermal this year. Now....? She was diagnosed this morning with a meniscal tear hind left and is 3/5 on a lameness scale trotting.

She was seen by a wonderful lameness expert, so I feel fortunate for that. On x-Ray her stifle looks great with no arthritic changes and no further trauma than the injury. She will be leaving Saturday morning to spend a week with our vet, and he will do arthroscopy on Monday to see the extent of the damage.

At best, he can clean up the meniscus and she'll be rehabbed for some time. At worst, if the cartilage is damaged, it will end her career. Either way, she has a home with me forever if only it means she is a pasture puff. It would be a shame, though, because she is so talented and loves her job. Jingles, please, for the best case scenario. She's in great hands, but I am just bummed.
    Last edited by AndNirina; Feb. 9, 2010 at 01:57 AM.

Jingles
    Can't offer you any advice, but my thoughts are with you and your mare.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Jingle, it is tough when something like this happens.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

jingles.

My aged gelding suffered with a torn meniscus for several years until I got a competent vet to diagnose it. For nearly 3 years he varied from a grade 1 to a grade 5 (bearing no weight) on his off side hind, and was diagnosed and treated for everything under the sun except stifle. It wasn't until I found a sympathetic vet, and insisted that his stifle be examined that we discovered it. He was 20 yrs old at the time. We did not do surgery, but replaced the sinovial fluid and did some injections. It turned out that stall rest was the worst thing possible for him.

I moved him to a lifestyle where he lived out 24/7, and within 4 months he was rideably sound for the first time in 3 years and on no pain killers. We ended up riding lightly competitively for nearly 2 years more, then second injury retired him permanently.

I still have the horse and he is happily retired with me, living a luxurious life.

Were he a younger horse, and had I not wasted 3 years with incompetent vets chasing wild geese, and had I known to get him living outdoors sooner, he might've been sounder longer.

It sounds like you're in good hands and caught this early.
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis

Thank you for the jingles! I spent the day packing her for her trip. She's going up to the clinic tomorrow and the procedure will be done first thing on Monday morning. I'm nervous.

Today was great, though, as I got to spend the whole day with her. I clipped her face and groomed her as if she were heading to a horse show and she lapped up the extra attention. Her dapples were shining through even in the rainy weather today. I packed extra cookies for her and some for the other horses at the clinic, for good luck! I'll be glad when Monday is over.

I'm sorry for your mare. I hope the outcome is good and that she makes a full recovery.

Jingles....sending you both good thoughts and prayers.

Jingles for a speedy and complete recovery!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Jingles for your mare and you & and your dreams ~ AO Always Optimistic !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

No fun! Jingles to you and your mare!

Having been through something similar I hope all goes well on Monday! Try to pamper yourself some after she leaves tomorrow, your stress level has to be through the roof.

Thank you so much for your jingles, they worked!!! The mare had stifle arthroscopy this morning and the prognosis is better than we had imagined. I am thrilled and thankful for our great surgeon.

What was originally thought to be a torn meniscus was a tear of the anterior ligament of the medial meniscus (so they tell me!). Our doc was able to debride the frayed part of the ligament and otherwise the mare's stifle looked really good. He said in all the years that he's done stifle surgeries hers was one of the cleanest and that we caught the damage just in time.

The Mare gets to come home on Thursday...sooner than expected. She will be on stall rest/minimal handwalks for a while and our doc will be back to do PRP and IRAP therapies to help her heal in the coming months. Thanks so much for pulling for her. I can't wait to have her back home!

That is great news! Hoping and jingles that recover goes well from here in pa.

Wow, what a relief for you. Congrats, what a great feeling!

Great news ~ thank you for updating ~ Jingles for you mare to have a quick and full recovery ! Always Optimistic !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"