The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best age to sell for a profit...

So in general (I know it has to be general), if weanlings and yearlings are priced about the same, between those two, it would benefit more to sell as a weanling, right?
    What happens at two? If you hold on to a horse until two, should you just wait until three and it's under saddle? Do two year olds go for much more than yearlings?
    Is it usually worth taking the chance to wait all the way until they are three and under saddle if you still have them at two?
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Default If it were me...

I would try the whole time, honestly, and change price accordingly. I don't know what your input costs are, but you also have risk to factor in.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

It is generally most profitable / least risk to sell them as weanlings as the price tends not to move much until they are started under saddle at 3. I would not sell a 2 year old, personally, unless I needed the cash or had a concern about getting the horse nicely started (e.g., no suitable trainer). That is presuming, of course, that the horse likely would fetch significantly more $ as a started 3 year old - meaning, it has to be pretty nice.
    Last edited by YankeeLawyer; Feb. 4, 2010 at 02:27 PM.

Agree with YL's answer.
    A special foal may sell as a weanling, but in this market, people want to pay board and expenses on something they can ride.

There is always risk with a youngster. Or a horse of any age.

Word to the wise: buy large sheets of bubble wrap.

Agree with YL and Oakstable - obviously to sell as weanling is the highest profit. Risk of them hurting themselves, all the feed, your time and effort, etc increases so much as you go through years of having them until 3. We've found if they don't sell as weanlings we usually have them until 3 - and I agree, I wouldn't sell a 2 yo unless I had to, only because you're almost there, and might as well get as much as you can when the value rises once started u/s.

But, if you could sell a weanling for $8500 or a 3 yo started for 12,000, you probably are almost losing money on the 3 yo?
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Okay, thanks! That is what I was kind of thinking as well, I know I'd have a fancy schmancy baby that would hurt itself at just shy of 3. After I'd turned down an offer on it as a weanling!
    I wasn't sure about the two year old thing, good to know.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

LOL That's Murphy's Law, as soon as you decide not to sell, they go do something to themselves!

I mean, we'd sell a 2 yo if we got a great offer, but I wouldn't be tempted to give one away.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com