The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone used the Nafcore bedding made from Kenaf?

Cross-posting here since I only received one response on the Horse Care forum.

If so, please share your thoughts and experiences. Is it as absorbent as they claim? Do you really use a lot less than shavings? Any issues with horses trying to eat it? Are the stalls easy to clean, etc, etc.? Thanks!

I've never heard of it, at least not here in New England. Is there a website?

Here's one that describes the product.

http://www.nafcore.com/about.htm

I have experience with it. It is fluffier and lighter than Woody Pet, so it provides more cushion. It also doesn't seem to get as dark and dirty-looking. It is similar to Woody Pet in that there is much less waste because the urine is absorbed and it's easier to separate the manure. It's also lighter, so cleaning the stalls requires less effort. It's not quite as fluffy as shavings, though.

Like WP, it works best if the horse is neat in his stall.

We didn't have any who tried to eat it, and yes -- you do use less. IIRC, four bags was plenty for a 12x12 stall, and lasted about a week.

Anyone else care to comment on this stuff? I wonder if it could replace straw in a foaling stall?

An acquaintance of ine uses it and loves it. Occasionally she will order extra and I have used it in my trailer and loved it.

Would love to know more about it too. Link doesnt open for me. Where can you purchase it?? Anyone with more info?
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

Funny this thread should pop up again - I was looking for it about a week ago.

Simbalism, where does your friend buy/find it in this area? I didn't think anyone was producing it any more. I'd love to get my hands on some...

GG, I will check with my friend. I think she was buying it from NC and getting a whole truck load. That way she could use what she needed and sell what she didn't need.

We use the Nafcore bedding. Definitely much less waste than shavings and more absorbent. We have a 22 stall barn and there are a few horses that are too messy and we have to use regular shavings. Like woody pet you have to get used to the look being not as bright as shavings but overall I like it better than shavings. It is kind of springy and spongey so it feels good under foot. Also not at all dusty. Gosh I hate the days that the shavings truck comes! I would do away with the shavings if I could.

We are a dealer and get it shipped in pallets to us. Some people buy it from us and come pick it up. Maybe you could find a dealer in your area?
    www.patchworkfarmga.com

"The harder you train, the luckier you get!"

Love, love, love it!!

NO dust, easy to clean and no issue with horses eating it.

My local SS carries it.
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

How much is it a bag?

I bed REALLY deep in shavings. Like 8"++ How many bags would you need to get at least 6" deep?

What about using it underneath shavings to catch the pee? Has anyone done that?
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by Simbalism View Post
    GG, I will check with my friend. I think she was buying it from NC and getting a whole truck load. That way she could use what she needed and sell what she didn't need.
    I would love to know also. I have checked and I am 130 miles from the plant/headquarters that makes it. I wonder if she gets it right from them?
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    How much is it a bag?

I bed REALLY deep in shavings. Like 8"++ How many bags would you need to get at least 6" deep?

What about using it underneath shavings to catch the pee? Has anyone done that?
    I have seen a huge range on cost, I pay about $7.50/bag, but have seen it upwards of $15+/bag.

For a 12x12 stall, to get 6+ inches probably about 5-7 bags, but it will last for a long time.

Putting shaving below [mixed in], "wears" out the nafcore more quickly b/c shaving holds in moisture, it evaporates from the nafcore.
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

I've used it. Personally didn't think it was worth the difference in $$. The local Southern States carries it here. I went back to shavings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    I would love to know also. I have checked and I am 130 miles from the plant/headquarters that makes it. I wonder if she gets it right from them?
    I'd love to know as well, as I thought the manufacturer in NC went out of business.

I used it for a while here in NC, it was OK, personally like pelleted bedding better, but it was definitely superior to shavings.