The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default what WB bloodlines for ammy friendly jumpers?

I'm horse shopping, and can't find what I want, which is a lighter, modern WB (x TB?) for eventing who has the gaits for dressage and an ammy-friendly mind for jumping.

I've read of some super-hot dressage lines to avoid. Can anyone suggest good jumping lines?

I'm also looking to avoid lines known for unsoundness.. (aren't we all?)
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Personally, I'm a fan of the Holsteiners: Landgraf & Capitol lines. Cor de la Bryere will give you lots of athleticism, but they can be headstrong (I bred a granddaughter...) She humbled me regularly...

But they are all individuals. And, you won't really know till you sit on it.

Good luck!
    Seb
    Aca-Believe it!!

Default Another Holsteiner Landgraf fan.

I ride a gelding with Landgraf I on the sire side a W line dam. He's super lovey and mellow. I'm an ammy, but my last horse was a moderately hot TB. Once learning to manage the TB this horse was a good next step.

The people that imported the horse I'm riding (leased at the moment, hopefully will be mine in a few months) have imported a lot of successful horses with the Landgraf I on the sire side. A W cross or R cross seems to be the most common.

My vote is to look to an Irish Draught Sport Horse - known for amatuer friendly temperments, great jumpers/eventers, many do quite well in dressage and hardy. They are becomming more popular in dressage - I just sold 2 this year as upper level prospects.

I have a Hilltop Cordini (Cor de la Bryere son) gelding and know several others and they have great temperments and work ethics
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

my Sir Caletto gelding is extremely quiet and ammy friendly. I have had him since he was two and have done all the work with him myself. Here is a video of him with only two weeks under saddle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLY0vSOp3nM

(and I know i'm no George Morris)
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

My trainer in FL has a Landgraf horse. She's huge, great gaits, and tries her hardest. The downside for her is that she's not too terribly bright (however, I don't think this is all Landgrafs). This mare also requires a LOT of leg (my 6' trainer looks like she's parking an aircraft carrier sometimes during the turns...). I do like her though. I would love to have a Landgraf x beefy TB...

I'll warn you about some of the Weltmeyer babies. They are athletic as all get out, but the several (around 10) I've met personally have all had kind of a jerk streak through them. I don't know what it is, and it's probably not all Weltmeyer babies, but the ones I've met have not exactly been "ammy friendly."

Good luck and let us know what you find!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

I have a 4yr old by Coromino that fits your want list pretty well. Great mind, good jump, nice gaits and athleticism. He's not super light, but I'd say a good, medium framed horse. His dam is ~67 % TB.

Vulcaan (from BC) is a good sire too look for if you're on the West Coast/PNW.

i know of an L line holstiner gelding for sale in fla. he is 5 yrs.old and ammy friendly all day long, and moves great! very easy horse.16.3- 17.0 drk.bay.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

I have seen and heard of a lot of very nice Linaro's - foxfire farm. He has been used a lot in the states and there are a lot of nice young horses of his around

Another vote for Landgraf... I have three mares by Lemgo, who was by Landgraf) They are all nice Ammy type horses and good jumpers... although one is a bit of a drama queen.

Another vote for Landgraf line horses.

My 2005 Condios x Ekstein mare Ana Bella (line bred to Landgraf 2x) is absolutely lovely to ride and certainly has more blood than some of my other mares, a modern silhouette and is very light on her feet.

Here's a link to her page for pics and videos: http://sakurahillfarm.com/horses.php?HOID=46
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Have you considered a Trakehner? How about an Oskar baby? If you were strictly a hunter rider, I wouldn't recommend them as they don't always have the best hunter winning form, but as eventers they ROCK. My Oskar gelding is now 8, and he's the easiest horse to deal with in our barn. He's incredibly sweet in a pocket-puppy personality, and dead-honest as a jumper. He jumps fairly round (when I ride him correctly) and has very safe form, but he's a tad high-headed to pin in a top hunter class. However, he's a VERY nice mover (as are most Oskar babies) and quite uncomplicated to ride. Everybody who sees him covets him.

Traks were bred for eventing, and they usually have the movement and athleticism to do quite well. I'd suggest contacting Joe Pimental at aquafarms.net and see if has any Oskar babies of riding age for sale. Oh, and they're drop dead gorgeous, leggy, chromey things, too.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

They are a lesser known breed but I have loved all the Brandenburgs that I have sat on, including, of course, the one I bought for myself, lol. Super easy temperments, very good athletes, and pretty to boot.

http://www.hengstschau.com/e_stallio...eustadt_e.html and http://www.horse-gate.com/landgestue...pl?neustadt&en have some information on the breed.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Thanks for all the tips!

I have searched Dreamhorse, Equine.com and warmbloods-for-sale for Landgraf in any bloodline and came up with very few in my age, distance and price range.

But here's the thing: Landgraf died in '96. My understanding is that the sire or dam whose traits you wish for must be in the 1st or 2nd generation (sire, grandsire) to make a real difference, right? In my age range (2-6) he sometimes appears in the 3rd or 4th generation. Thus, his influence is pretty diluted.

Can anyone tell me of specific living stallions who are his sons and who posess his talent and personality and may have youngsters on the ground in the 1st or 2nd generation? Linaro? Burggraf? Others?

eventer_mi I had a Trak on lease a while back that was a frootloop, which I hear is not uncommon in the breed. But I'm not holding it against 'em all! I'd buy one if the mind, age, height, talent and price were right. Same for the Brandenburgs Lucassb, though I don't see them very often.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

One of my all time favorite horses is by the Oldenburg stallion, Ideal. Our guy is very TB in looks and build (he is branded but is out of an approved TB mare), but all WB movement and jump with a great, great gallop. He is owned by an ammie rider and they get along great. However, I will say that if you like dead, dead, dead quiet and easy, he's probably not it, but if you like fun, a little challenging, but a totally good citizen, he's all that more. Riding wise he can be a challenge because he's a big mover and has a lot of jump (why God made manes).

Anyway, I've sat on another Ideal baby (a little heavier...I think that one was out of a WB mare), and he was everything his "big brother" is, just much greenier. Great personality, athletic, but a good brain in his head. The AEC BN Amateur Champ from last year, Ideal Life, I believe (judging by his name and the fact that he is a spitting image of Ideal, our horse, and every other Ideal baby I've ever seen) is an Ideal baby. I never saw it, but a friend of mine had a friend with an Ideal baby. That one was brought up by a teenager, and was supposedly a very nice horse (there was brief period of time that I was supposed to go sit on it and give it a try for myself). I LOVE the stallion and the babies he makes. I think they are great, fun ammie horses.

He does have a stallion son, I believe his name is Isaiah. Looks just like his daddy. I don't know if any of his babies are out doing anything.

Ideal's website- http://www.ultimatepiaffe.com/

Our Ideal "baby" (he's 13 this year)- http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6&id=840606599

I can't believe I don't have any jumping pics of him! Oh wait...http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orde...62&po=62&pc=65 For the record, this is me on him. His owner lets me have a turn on him every now and then.

Ah, Ideal -- thanks for reminding me yellowbritches. Love his offspring too.

Landkonig (at Rainbow Equus) is from the Landgraf line and well known for passing on good temperaments. You might look for his offspring. Also, another poster mentioned Lemgo...

Seb
    Aca-Believe it!!

If you can find a Selle Francais with Galoubet lines you won't be disappointed!

Isaiah's website- http://www.missionbayfarm.com/index.htm

His babes are pretty young. Oldest one I see on the website is a 2003 model.

I am a lucky girl and have a direct Landgraf Unfortunately that doesn't help you much as he is an older gelding. He has one of the best personalities that I have ever seen. Very affectionate, but not annoying. He is not the easiest ride though. He is an upper level jumper, but quite hot and thrives on being ridden in a consistent program.

If you are interested in that you might consider Burggraaf. He combines the lines of Landgraf and Cor de la Bryère, both of which produce fabulous jumpers. I have worked with a few young Burggraf's and really enjoyed them. I believe he is still available frozen.