The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 7 yo TB, in Philly, no longer available

see post below

I talked to Ellis from the Fletcher Street Urban Riding Club today, and there's a horse at the barn that needs a new home. It doesn't belong to Ellis, but the owner hasn't been out or paid board in months, and both he and the BM want it gone. Ellis has been caring for it in the meantime because someone had to.

Anyway, the horse: His name is A Trend to Forgive, by Northern Trend out of Lemme Kissha, born 2003. They do have his papers, and I think he is chestnut. Inconveniently, he has not been gelded, but I was told that before his injury he was a good pleasure horse. Supposedly he and his stallion-buddy at the barn can be ridden around mares no problem. He's presumably been ridden around the *very* urban neighborhood and out to Fairmount Park. The park is a mix of usual park things scattered around through a lot of woods, fields, streams, and trails. I don't know him at all, but would guess he's fairly untrained but boombproof.

Pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/a+trend+to+forgive

The bad news: at some point before his owner left the scene, they think he was kicked. Ellis wasn't caring for him at the time, so doesn't know the details, but one hind leg was swollen up to the stifle. The owner gave him antibiotics for a bit, then pretty much disappeared. Ellis took over and the swelling is now only down by the ankle. The horse needs weight, which Ellis is working on, and the vet will be back out shortly to check up on him. I'll update with more details when I get them, and will call to check in with the vet if anyone is interested. I can also go take pictures.

He isn't in any danger of being sent to auction. If he isn't doing well or hangs out too long without a home, Ellis will pay to have him put down.

Edited to add - It is possible we could help with shipping.
    Last edited by halla; Feb. 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: update

Is there any way to have him gelded? He'd be so much easier to rehome.

From what I can tell, his current caretaker wouldn't mind if he was gelded, but can't afford it. He's actually trying to sell two of his own horses right now to help reduce his bills.

I do think that if someone wanted to take him, and paid for the gelding, he could probably stay where he is until he recovered. They did say he's very well behaved, so he could probably handle a day or two of stallionhood somewhere new before getting gelded. I know one of the horses at my barn came right off the track ungelded and got snipped immediately with no problems.

I haven't talked to the vet yet, since I'm sure his visit has been delayed by all the snow. I'll update as soon as I know more, and when I talk to him I will ask about gelding.

I mean, I wholeheartedly agree, but since he isn't a problem as a stallion for his current barn I don't think they would bother paying to get him gelded. And I don't have the spare cash now either (or I would).

I shipped my guy from the track to the farm still intact and had him gelded a week later...he was very "studly" at the track but fine to handle on the farm.

Just to put in a good word for this horse.

I know all stallions are different but I have a stallion off the track and he is just fine. (he will be gelded, just didnt get there yet)

He goes to shows, etc and no one even knows he is a stallion. He is one of the most well behaved horses in the barn.

Hopefully someone will give this horse a chance and not pass by him just because he isnt gelded!!

Going to send you a pm with my email address so you can send pics. I train at a farm where I can board a stallion no problem. I can keep him a stallion if I want to pay the extra board, which really isn't much to be honest. I'm in York so I'm not too far away....

got your pm! I'll post pictures here, too, whenever I can get out there through the snow.

Unhappy

Bad update - he was put down on Tuesday morning.

I did tell Ellis to let me know if any other horses need a home, especially TBs, and he said he definitely would. He sounded kind of upset when I told him someone was interested in the horse, I think he was just convinced there was nowhere he could go and the best thing to do was put him down.

I'm so disappointed.

sigh...so sad

Sad, but a better update than to hear than that he was passed around and ended up starving to death or in an otherwise crappy home somewhere. there are worse things than euthanasia for unwanted horses! Good for you for trying to help.

I was just poking around and saw this thread, and wanted to thank all of you for trying to help. A dear late friend of mine trained Kiss (Lemme Kissha), his dam. She is a gorgeous bay with a lovely blaze and a white foot - tough as nails, but she had a ton of heart. I've lost track of her since she became a broodmare, and found this thread when I googled her name. I know that Nancy would have been grateful to you as well.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/