The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Leased horse: owner's signature on entry form?

So my leased horse's owner lives out of town--WAY out of town--and I'm wondering about entry forms: do I need to have her sign a bunch of those on the "owner" line and send them to me, or can I, as the person leasing the horse, sign there instead?

TIA.
    Click here before you buy.

The entry says (or used to say) owner or agent. Being the leasee, you are the agent. I always signed as owner/agent for our leased horse.

Thanks. Can I be a SECRET agent?

If I'm doing entries for a horse I don't own and the owner isn't standing RIGHT THERE, I sign and circle "agent". Makes life sooooo much easier.

For my son's leased horse, I circle the word agent, sign my name, and then print "lessee" next to it, just to cover all the bases. It was not questioned at any of the USEA events my son rode in last year.

Where is Canterlope -- she is an expert on entry forms -- perhaps she would know?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

From the rule book
    GR909.1. Entries must be made in writing and signed by the (1) exhibitor (2) the rider, driver,
    handler, vaulter or longeur, (3) the trainer, and (4) the coach, if applicable, or by the agent(s)
    of such person(s)
    and must be accompanied by funds to cover entry fees, stall fees and
    Federation fee (see GR208.1).
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I, too circled "agent" and signed when I was leasing.

ETA: so this means you are entering something?

Well, we're still months away from show season, but certainly I intend to do some competing this year . . . once the snow melts, the temperature goes north of 40, and I learn to ride the critter.

I have always signed as agent when leasing and I hereby officially annoint you agent! At least he is exactly the same at shows as at home and presumably you only need to learn to ride the critter on the flat
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Do eventing leases need to be registered with the USEA? We ran into this issue at dressage shows last year. IIRC, to sign as "agent" the leases had to be registered with USDF or some such thing. Hopefully eventing isn't as silly.

do what we do for events (not fei stuff though)

Some secretaries suggest you have photo copies of entry an use the same back page over and over again. Works really well when I am doing so many entries. DO not have to track down clients for their horses or sigs for horses I am riding for clients!
    To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business, and your business in your heart

Default Well...here's what the rulebook says....

From the USEF rulebook, this is rule GR1108 -- read number 5!

GR1108 Lease Registration.
    1. The Federation encourages all lessors of horses competing in Federation competitions to register the lease with the Federation. A recorded horse must be shown under a lessee’s ownership provided an official lease is registered with the Federation.
    2. For points to count with respect to any recorded horse at a Federation competition, such agreement or lease registration form (provided by the Federation) and fees must be received by the Federation office on or before the first day of such competition. The lessee becomes the bona fide owner of the horse for the period of the lease (except for Owner classes) for Federation award purposes. The horse must be entered in the ownership of the lessee and must be shown in accordance with GR1110.
    3. To be official, a certified copy of a lease agreement or a lease registration form must be submitted and registered with the Federation and must be accompanied by the required fee.
    The Horse Lease Form which lists the fee can be found at www.usef.org. Either document must contain a start and end date and be signed by the lessee and the lessor. If a lease is not renewed within 30 days of its expiration, a later renewal will require an additional fee. The lease registration with the Federation will then be effective the day the renewal is
    received by our office. BOD 7/28/09 Effective 12/1/09
    4. A written statement of termination must be submitted signed by the lessee and the lessor if the lease is terminated before the end date stated in the lease registration form.
    5. The Federation does not accept agent signatures.
    (I think they are referring to the lease form with regard to "agent" sig. I think they want OWNERS and LESSEES to sign the lease form. I don't think this refers to entry blanks, as lessees are considered bona fide OWNERS once they have a proper lease form done.)

So moral of the story: unless you have a properly executed LEASE with the owner, you are NOT considered the owner and would be signing an entry blank as an agent for the owner, not as the lessee. Not that would matter unless the owner is not a USEA member, then if you went thru a season like this -- all your points wouldn't count, or whatever penalty would apply (not sure on that.)

And here's the link to the lease form:
    http://www.usef.org/documents/member...pLeaseForm.pdf
    Last edited by retreadeventer; Feb. 4, 2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: clarification
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

presumably you only need to learn to ride the critter on the flat
    ONLY, she says. Said critter would prefer that there BE no such thing as riding on the flat.

The link is helpful, thanks--I do have a properly executed lease, but am not sure it's any of the USEA's business as to what's contained in it. Not that it's a top-secret document or anything! The horse is registered with USEA and his owner is a member, so I think we're good--as I have been duly anointed. (isn't COTH a legally binding document?)

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    The link is helpful, thanks--I do have a properly executed lease, but am not sure it's any of the USEA's business as to what's contained in it. Not that it's a top-secret document or anything! The horse is registered with USEA and his owner is a member, so I think we're good--as I have been duly anointed. (isn't COTH a legally binding document?)
    First, it is USEF (not USEA) that registers leases.

Second, you don't HAVE to register a lease with USEF. There are a couple of main situations where you would want to register the lease:

First, if the real owner is not a USEF member, and doesn't intend to become a member (signing as "agent for the owner" doesn't remove the requirement that the owner either be a USEF member or pay a non member fee).

Second, if you are an amateur, and need to take advantage of the " other than horses actually owned or leased by him/her" clause in GR 1306.1 (c).

Third woud be if, for some reason, you want the points to show up under your name.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I wouldn't be signing anything if I had no real control over the horse. If he gets 1/2 bute too much, I'm not going to be on the hook for it. When I leased my guy, the lease I drafted explicitly authorized the person leasing him to sign entry forms as "owner." Legally, she was his owner, for the term of the lease.

I wouldn't be signing anything if I had no real control over the horse.
    Ah, so you've SEEN me ride?

I certainly do take responsibility for the horse, since he's under my care.(and my trainer's) I don't mind being "on the hook" for decisions I make. But the point is well taken--the actual owner, if he/she is not making day-to-day decisions, really is not in that role as decision-maker. That type of thing ought to be spelled out in a lease contract, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Saskatoonian View Post
    I wouldn't be signing anything if I had no real control over the horse. If he gets 1/2 bute too much, I'm not going to be on the hook for it. When I leased my guy, the lease I drafted explicitly authorized the person leasing him to sign entry forms as "owner." Legally, she was his owner, for the term of the lease.
    The person "on the hook" for too much bute is the person who signs the "trainer" line.
    Janet

Quote Originally Posted by TB or not TB? View Post
    Do eventing leases need to be registered with the USEA? We ran into this issue at dressage shows last year. IIRC, to sign as "agent" the leases had to be registered with USDF or some such thing. Hopefully eventing isn't as silly.
    This is simply NOT what the USEF rules say.

The rules EXPLICITLY say that the "agent" may sign for the owner. Nothing about a registered lease.

However, it would probably be a good idea to have a letter, signed by the owner, authorizing you as "agent" for the owner for USEF purposes.
    Janet

If someone signs as your agent, you are the principal. In the real world, the principal is liable for the acts of her agent. You're still on the hook. Maybe bute was a poor example, but the point doesn't change. Read the representations you're making by signing the form. That'd be enough for me. DW may be able to control the horse , but unless as owner I control her - good luck! - she wouldn't be signing anything as my agent.