The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default opinions on breeding mare x pony

I am interested to hear opinions and experiences (good and bad) from anyone who has bred their Hanoverian mare to a Weser Ems pony stallion. What was the resulting foal like? Is it possible for the foal to have conformational harmony or do they tend to look like a committee put them together?

I really love this particular mare (in all areas) but she is a good sized 16.2 and I really prefer smaller (under 15.3hh).

I bred my EM Hanoverian mare to an A Welsh pony and the resulting foal is now 4.5 years old, sold to a friend of mine and doing wonderfully under saddle. He essentially looks like a shrunken warmblood, AMAZING work ethic, super easy, and will be a fantastic small dressage mount. The mare is 16.1h, the stallion was 12.1h and he is is 14.2h.

Just as an example, he had not been ridden in 3 weeks due to my friend moving from her old farm to her new one. This weekend we got snow and I desperately wanted to canter through a field of snow (never did that before). Well he is the only one without shoes so my only option to ride. I thought 4.5 year old, not ridden for 3 weeks, cold outside...this could not be good. But true to form he was perfect! And what fun we had.

You can see pics of him at blumefarm.com and his name is Borealis Blume.

You need to very much pay attention to 'type to type'. I've crossed my Section A on horse mares very successfully, however, he is not your typical Sec. A pony. He is built like a horse, moves like a horse.

If I were you, I'd try to look for a fairly small stallion if you really want under 15.3.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

We have done several Hanoverian x Pony crosses and the results have been super. One of the oldest from our EM was national high scoring two year old FEH in 2009. He has the superb temperament, charisma and character of his pony sire and the superior elasticity and scope of his lovely Hanoverian mother.

Thanks everyone.

We have an '08 filly out of a Donnerhall daughter and by my little 11.2 hand stallion Blue Who. She is absolutely to die for and the icing on the cake is that she is liver chestnut with two gray parents. NO, not a hint of changing color!!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Our Stallion Hot Shot MRF is by a Welsh Section B stallion out of my best AHS mare. AS said before , the biggest consideration we used was breeding type to type. He is being used mostly by breeders trying to downsize their larger mares.

I also have a 15.1 H mare registered with the GOV, of Hanoverian blood, who is constantly mistaken for a Wesser Em..

The origin of the Wesser EM ( and all GRP) came from combining WB blood with arab and pony breeds.....
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Default Ridley

I have been looking at Ridley to breed to my tall, AHS mare. I would like to downsize, and I like the Rotspon temperament. Does anyone know what he is producing? I am also confused as to how I would register the foal.

If you breed a large horse with good proportions to a smaller pony with same proportions (whether it be 12, 13, or 14 hands) you will NOT get a "committee offspring." The size is dependent mainly on hormones. There are three genetic factors that will contribute to size - growth hormone, protein receptors and long bone development. Production of growth hormone is the most dominant of the size factors. All body parts will grow at a rate relative to the production of growth hormones. Long bone development will give you a long legged horse with a short back and short neck, or a short legged horse with a long back and long neck. Think long legged TB with compact frame, or short legged QH with long back and neck. Protein receptors are rarely a factor, but have some influence. Again, that is a proportional growth rate for the protein receptors. I have breed WBs to ponies, and ponies to TBs and WBs. I have never had a committee offspring. I have bred big headed WBs to refined headed ponies, and gotten big headed babies most of the time. I find that the dam seems to play a bigger role in the type of the foal. I bigger dam will throw a little more size on the foal, I think the production of growth hormone in utero is the factor there. I know that embryo transfers in cattle has established that the host cow is a big factor in size of the calf, and this is why the horse people generally will do their Sport Horse embryo transfers into a bigger mare, such as a draft cross.
    If you want 15 - 15.3 size, I would look for a 14 hand stallion, or smaller if you can find it, to try and bring the size down, since your mare is relatively big. You should get a stunning foal if you breed good type to same good type. If you cross out different types, you may get some characteristics of one parent, some from the other.

Have you considered any of the North American Pony Futurity stallions?

And if downsizing with out losing athleticism is a concern... you may want to check out some of the really nice smaller Arabian sport horse stallions out there... hint... hint... hint

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

My pony stallion Stibby-Me has sired many premium foals out of warmblood mares. They are just so easy going and are a joy to work with.

www.longviewfarm.us
    Home of Stibby-Me
    aka Sweet Rock Solid