The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

...and the first class isn't until 2pm today!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

I caused an uproar because I posted this note by registration and at the ring:
    Attention: Competitors in the Back Ring

*The back ring will start On TIME and run by competitor's number IN ORDER.

* If you are not ready when your number is called, we will skip you AND you forfeit your ride.

*No back-to-back rides

*For equitation classes, turnout counts

*Diagonals and leads should be correct, especially inequitation. Trying to fix a lead or diagonal is better than not noticing or not trying.

*Strides do NOT count. I want nice, even paces appropriate for your horse or pony.

*For classes #17, 18, and 19, if you start at the trot, trot all the way. If you start at the canter, canter all the way.

*Loud coaching will penalize the rider.

It should be fun!!!

[This message was edited by FlightCheck on Aug. 03, 2003 at 08:46 AM.]

...and the first class isn't until 2pm today!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

I caused an uproar because I posted this note by registration and at the ring:
    Attention: Competitors in the Back Ring

*The back ring will start On TIME and run by competitor's number IN ORDER.

* If you are not ready when your number is called, we will skip you AND you forfeit your ride.

*No back-to-back rides

*For equitation classes, turnout counts

*Diagonals and leads should be correct, especially inequitation. Trying to fix a lead or diagonal is better than not noticing or not trying.

*Strides do NOT count. I want nice, even paces appropriate for your horse or pony.

*For classes #17, 18, and 19, if you start at the trot, trot all the way. If you start at the canter, canter all the way.

*Loud coaching will penalize the rider.

It should be fun!!!

[This message was edited by FlightCheck on Aug. 03, 2003 at 08:46 AM.]

interesting

- - - - - -
    "We learn from history that we do not learn from history." ~ George Bernard Shaw
    - - - - - -
    \"I found my inner bitch and ran with her.\" ~ Courtney Love

I was liking it all until "no back to back rides" that part I don't like and leads to a long day for horse or pony

Sounds like fun though, hope it goes smooth!!

~ Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once ~
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

GOOD FOR YOU! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif I would come ride in your show any day...might even enjoy myself at a H/J show with that kind of management! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

"If you think your hairstyle is more important than your brain, you're probably right." Wear a helmet!
    Kelly
    Bonnie
    Gwen
    Click here before you buy.

Likewise. You GO, FlightCheck!!

Please come manage a show in Michigan! Some of the 'B' & 'C' shows here could use a little work. Especially the ones held by the barn I used to ride at -shakes head-

-Tami-

Dee Ring Designs - opening August 2003!
    -Tami-

[Paint It Black - "Kiddo"]

Out of curiousity, why no back-to-back? I'm not attached to it, but in my admittedly limited experience, it's much kinder to horse and rider to let a small group flip-flop and finish their rounds for a division, then move onto the next small group.

Sure saves on time spent standing around.

Let us know how it goes?
    http://longestformat.blogspot.com/

"The present tense of regret is indecision."
    - Welcome to Night Vale

Also, what if a rider has more than one horse in a class. The office usually gives consecutive numbers if horses are entered at the same time. How is a rider supposed to deal with that?

And, even if the same rider is not obligated to ride 2 consecutive horses, on e trainer may have several students with consecutive numbers --- how can she warm them all up appropriately and still watch the ones in the ring and critique rounds so that they learn something?

I applaud your plan, but it ain't as easy as you would like to make it in the hunter world. As an eventer, you may come in for one day, but you are not going to change the world -- and if a trainer likes to warm students up individually and then critique their round before warming hte next one up, your enforced order of go won't .... go...

I would hope that the exhibitors already know that turnout/presentation counts in the hunter ring.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I CAN spell, I just can't type and I am too blind to proofread InfoPop's teeny tiny font. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Lord Helpus - That's how it is in the eventer world. If you have double entries, you let the show secretary know so he/she can space your ride times. Sometimes the coach/trainer has to warm up more than one person at a time (unbelievable maybe for hunters, but c'mon is it really all that difficult - it's like a group lesson). I think sometimes some trainers need to get off of their "high horses" and quit expecting every one else to cater to them as if their *&%$ doesn't stink (that's my brutally honest opinion - I apologize if it offends anyone)

This is a great idea - I hate going to hunter shows that feel so disorganized and yet still put on an air of elitism. It's pretty ridiculous. Good luck flight check!
    He heard the low voice of mercy, not the loud acclaim of glory.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

yikes! No back to back hurts! Never mind the havoc that plays on your schedule if you have another horse going in another ring (they end up waiting, and then that ring slows tor a crawl). But the poor beasties have to sit around for twice as long in the hot FL August sun (because there is never enough time to get back to the barn, but just enough time for everyone to be miserable). Besides, back to back is a cinch to judge.

When I have dealt with an order of go (it's not unheard of in hunter land), the ring steward has a certain amount of latitude in working with other rings to make sure all rings go smoothly. Usually one ring has the heaviest traffic, and that ring almost always has priority over the others. If the lighter rings finish a couple hours earlier than expected, that still doesn't help anyone if there are still 100 trips to go in the busy ring.

Call your village. Their idiot is missing...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Interestingly enough, I am a hunter, not eventer rider, and I don't have a problem with no back-to-back rides. For some reason, even after all these years, I find the back-to-backs tough to deal with.

keebie Guest

I'm not privileged enough to show however I've read up on it a lot and have attended some shows and I think FlightCheck's "rules" would do good for a hunter show. Actually, I think they could do good for any show!

Just my $0.02

-----
    If in riding a horse we borrow freedom, what exactly do we borrow when being bucked off?

I suppose it would depend on the amount of entries... back to back is a good idea for shows that have 50+ entries in one class. Especially triple back to back.

*Cody*
    *Adastra*
    *Serkadian*

Please do let us know how things go with your rules. I can see some very good ideas here, and some that I personally think need some tweaking.

One idea might be to require that all riders put their number in with the gate person one class prior to the one they are riding in. And that they MUST be ready to go -- in the order in which the numbers were put in -- with a two-minute call or else forfeit. That would leave some leeway for those trainers and riders with possible conflicts, yet still make it clear the ring will run on time without delays.

No back to backs I would have applauded -- until I had to do them at a show that had scheduled two commonly popular adult divisions at the same time in two separate rings. We ALL had to go back to back and then dash over and do the same in the other ring, and even so, one of the hacks had to be held because of the conflict. I don't LIKE to do back to back rides, but sometimes due to trainers needing to be elsewhere, other horses to ride etc. it is necessary.

I LOVE the "striding doesn't count" and "fix the diagonal" comments! Please DO let us know how all of this works.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:
    As an eventer, you may come in for one day, but you are not going to change the world -- and if a trainer likes to warm students up individually and then critique their round before warming hte next one up, your enforced order of go won't .... go...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So is this about the competitor or about the trainer? I was always under the impression that a competition was about the competitor; the trainer is a luxury item, not a necessity, and they damn sure shouldn't be setting the tone for everyone else.

Robby

http://community.webshots.com/user/rbjohnsonii
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Well as for trainers warming up a group at one time, its not unheard of...but if I'm paying a small fortune in traning fees for the day at the show, I want my trainer's full attention when its my turn. I don't want to warm up with one sixth of my trainer's attention, go in for my round, come out and wait for my 5 barn mates to go before my trainer can come over and critique my round with me, especially since I probably would have forgotten some of it by then, and if I haven't, my trainer probably did. We usually warm up in groups and whoever is going in next gets more attention, and then we'll get in say, 4 different back to back groups so that every1 has plenty of time.

'Saanb ke rakh ni ey jovan butri
    Hun mur ke na aauni bahaar' -punjabi mc

Well, if FlightCheck does as good a job judging this show as she did announcing the June Copper Meadows HT, things *WILL* go smoothly!!

Please explain to this uneducated eventer exactly what "back-to-back" rounds are. Why do you get to go twice?

(And I agree with Robby about the competitor / trainer thing. I suppose it's because I never showed during the brief time I was training at a hunter barn, but it seems to me that if you can't go in and ride your ride without having your trainer watching every second, maybe you shouldn't be out there trying to show.)

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Amen, RAR!!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

"One thing you can't hide is when you're crippled inside..." John Lennon
    "A very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year! Let's hope it's a good one--without any fear".... ~John Winston Lennon~

i really like the idea of "no loud coaching" from the side.training should be done at home.period&gt; or in the warm up ring.

mm
    mm