The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 42 horses seized by Sandusky Humane Society

Thought I'd put the word out as they will be looking to re-home asap. 42 arabians. Starved. At least 2 dead, six euth'd because they were just too far gone and the rest housed at the Sandusky fairgrounds. Check out Fox 8 or a Sandusky paper for more info. This is the little bit I saw on the news this morning.
    The View from Here

Forty two misdemeanor charges, will probably plea out and serve minimal, if any, jail time.

http://www.weathernet5.com/news/22404626/detail.html

Woman Faces 42 Counts Of Animal Cruelty

POSTED: 6:13 pm EST February 1, 2010
    UPDATED: 1:01 pm EST February 2, 2010

SANDUSKY COUNTY, Ohio -- Forty-two champion-bred Arabian horses were found neglected.

The owner of the animals fell on hard times and couldn’t take care of them. On Monday, prosecutors charged a Sandusky County woman with animal cruelty.

The humane society said it warned Robin Vess several times to take better care of the horses. They said they had been dealing with her for months. It seems like she was protected by an Ohio law that refers to animals as property and owners only have to provide food, water and shelter.

It wasn’t until a horse died that humane society was able to help.

Most of the horses had lost motor skills and were fighting each other for food.

"The other horses were trampling over the horse to get to the straw used to prop a horse up. Another horse was crawling because it couldn’t walk,” Shayna Roberts with the Ottawa County Humane Society said.

Thirty-one horses were moved to the Sandusky County Fair Grounds against the owner’s wishes.

The Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department filed 42 counts of animal cruelty. Each misdemeanor charge carries a $750 fine and 90 days in jail.

Good freaking god. Does it ever stop?
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Wait a minute Gier, where do you get TWO, I read 42 counts. And EACH one is 750 and 90 days. That's good.

OH!! I misread YOU!! I thought you said "For Two misdemeanor charges..." but you said "forty two" and "plea out" and etc. so I see what you are saying. I hope that doesn't happen. Might though, you're right.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

One of my friends helped get them out. He was pretty upset about the state they were in. The mind just boggles.

I am starting to feel the same way about animals as I do about human reproduction.

Does anyone actually need 42 horses? Really? Really Really? (Does anyone NEED to have 8 kids? Same question)

Total madness. Total.

I know that people who have 2 horses also have neglected and starved their animals, but at least they don't bankrupt the entire freaking county's animal welfare system when someone turns you in.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Thanks gier for posting the link - just not enough time to look for it yesterday.

Our SPCA had over 40 horses almost 2 years ago come in. No kiddin the woman showed up in court with a purse dog, after not being allowed to own a dog. Seriously these people are mentally ill. With the horses its just one breeding farm that went bad. Hopefully, it will make people re-think horses.
    I also think people need to have a back-up plan, for when stuff happens.
    The View from Here

Well, lets just pray that C & C doesnt get on a tangent now about HS euthanizing those who were too far gone. And praying for those who are left. The poor things.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    No. It doesn't. Just this week, I've been asked to take in 5 horses in one county, 2 horses in another, and 30+ horses in yet another. The 30+ horses are from a repeat offender (last time we took over 20 horses).

And we cannot help with any of these cases because we're just too full.

Some days it is monumentally depressing. I used to tell the dog and cat rescues I couldn't do what they did because the need was too great. But now we're overwhelmed in the horse rescue world.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

This farm is in the territory of the vet that I interned with. This woman has been warned no fewer than 7 times about the state of her horses, however the Ohio law is so F***** up that as long as hay and grain are present they can't charge her with anything. She doesn't actually have to feed it, just have it! The prosecuter initially balked at filing charges because the barn did have adequate food............some very public pressure forced his hand.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Wow this almost makes me ashamed to say I live in Ohio. I have two horses and a dog. You better believe I make sure they eat before I do. I just couldn't imagine someone letting things get that bad. For goodness sakes give them away if nothing else. I hope that these horses find good homes and I would like to thank everyone that did help with it, even though it has nothing to do with me. I wish I was able to take some horses but I board.
    Proud Owner of Acertifiable Sonny 1996 AQHA Sorrel Gelding
    -- I loff my QH Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    I am starting to feel the same way about animals as I do about human reproduction.

Does anyone actually need 42 horses? Really? Really Really? (Does anyone NEED to have 8 kids? Same question)

Total madness. Total.

I know that people who have 2 horses also have neglected and starved their animals, but at least they don't bankrupt the entire freaking county's animal welfare system when someone turns you in.
    Amen. On ALL points.

A good friend of mine was one of the police officers that helped to remove the horses. (She's a horse owner herself.) She told me it was very bad, and they are in need of a lot of supplies, as well as funding. If you're so inclined, donations can be made to the Ottawa County Humane Society to help in the care of these horses. http://www.hsocpets.com/

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    No! Sadly
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

If you're so inclined, donations can be made to the Ottawa County Humane Society to help in the care of these horses. http://www.hsocpets.com/

Before you donate - confirm county. The horses were removed from a Sandusky woman, the horses are kept at Sandusky Fairgrounds.

www.humanesocietyofsanduskycounty.com/index.html

Just call and confirm.

I don't mean to rain on anyones parade just want the funds to go to the right place.
    The View from Here