The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Reason for USEF Suspension...

I know this is a hot-button issue and I have searched the forums for an answer but I can't seem to find what I am looking for so here I go...

I recently moved back to New England and, in the process of looking up a person that I rode with more than 10 years ago in the area, I discovered that she is on the USEF suspension list as of January 2003.

I was originally looking to get back in touch with her, but our only connection was the horses and I don't want to walk into hornet's nest. So...

1. Is there any public record of the reason for suspension?

2. If the listing on the USEF site doesn't have an end date does that mean that it is permanent?

Thanks for the clarification.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

If I am not mistaken, if one receives some type of fine in combination with a suspension, the suspension will not be lifted until the fine is paid. Sometimes such fines can total in the thousands depending on what kind of violation was committed.

But I'd be weary of training with anyone that's been on the list for 7 years. Seems shady.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Open ended suspensions are usually financial. I don't think it has to be related to a fine though, I think it can be simple indebtedness to a horse show that never got paid up. If she is no longer actively showing she may not even be aware she's on the list. I've heard of a few people that never received notification of payment being due, as a result of some minor mixup or error, and they ended up on the list without their knowledge until they went to show again.

Not trying at all to be nosy but I have been in the NE area for 40+ years. if you OM me the name, I may be able to give you some info. If you do not want to, I completely understand

At any rate, don't be quick to judge. As CBoylen said, she may not even be aware of the suspension, especially if she focuses more on NEHC/MHC shows.
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Thanks for the clarifications on what can get you put on that list. I hope she didn't get mixed up in anything naughty. Hopefully it is something fairy innocuous...

Silk, I'll PM you but she was just a junior/ammy that I rode with so unless it was a majorly newsworthy situation her suspension likely didn't rock too many boats!

Again, thanks for the info.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Check if she's on facebook and send her a message. It's a low key and non commital way of getting back in touch with old lost friends.
    Timothy, stop lurking

PM sent back to you If you cant find her info, I can get it for you through someone else.
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

The USEF suspension list does not necessarily indicate that the person is a wrong-doer. Perhaps, it's an unpaid fine? I hear some fines can be completely outrageous!

Why don't you contact the person and initiate a conversation with him/her and then make your determination?

Does the USEF suspend memberships for something like unpaid show bills? That could be it...

I believe the details of such suspensions are available to USEF members. It might be best to simply call the USEF in order to clear things up instead of getting involved in speculation.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

I agree with others that most likely it's an unpaid bill and with a 7 year hold I'd venture to say that she doesn't know she has it. Maybe ask around a bit.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."