The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tall boot help!

I am on a hunt to find tall boots and so far no good. I don't have $400 to spend on new tall boots and would mainly be using them for schooling, so they don't even need to be new. Here is my issue that is preventing me from finding used ones..I'm 5'4 so the boot height would need to be 17 3/4"(before broken in), Calf width 14" and a size 8-8.5(Ariat measurements).

I cannot find a single boot to even come close to this unless they are new!. Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe know someone with a pair close to that sizing they'd want to sell? Thanks

I have the opposite problem, I need very very tall.

What I do when I want boots is start early, and just walk into all the shops locally and look for an employee who looks like they've been there a while and are familiar with the merchandise.... and has that look where they'd rather help a customer for a while than work the register for just one more moment, or help that nagging boss who is on them like a hawk... you'll know them when you see them. Just tell them you have a problem finding boots, here's your measurements, here's your budget... and you may find yourself sitting around chatting, with all the binders full of boot measurements out as they page thru, in disbelief they might not have any brands who fit you.

Just be prepared to buy it on spot if they find something!!!

Worst comes to worst, do you have someone who does EQUINE leather work in your area? They do 'cut down' boots quite well, esp for just schooling purposes. I wouldn't trust a non-horse leather person on that tho.

Ebay?

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

old pair of ders as in der dau and I do mean older, size 8 1/2 , used, 17 3/4 up the back seam WITHOUT THE heel, 14" widest part of calf Outside circumference, they are worn on the inside of the calf but not worn through . email me if your interested and I can take some pics and email them back . they are cuff lined only and plain toe cap , they are very serviceable and with a bit of spit and polish could probably go show . spur rests are in tack and stitching seems tight .

Mountain Horse Richmond High Rider. Should fit you in height and calf with the right combo and are under $300, look beautiful/show ring ready, but comfortable and well built enough to hold up to every day wear. If you can find them on sale, you'd should be able to get them closer to $200. If not, I know VTO carries them are are wonderful to work with as far as sizing and ordering the correct boot, and if you did need to make a return, they are great with those as well.

Well I found some Ariats the only thing is that they are a slim/tall(13" calf)(19 1/8 height) where the ones I tried on at the tack shop that were perfect were a reg/short(14" calf)(17 3/8" height). Would they be ok or a waste of money? They are $40