The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Right now I'm a seller. Here's my vent. It infuriates me when someone e-mails me and asks a bunch of questions sounding very interested. I reply taking great care in giving detailed answers about my horse and think we may have a match. AND THEN NOTHING!!! I'm left hanging!! Not a "Thanks but no thanks" or no explanation. Let alone if I send videos out with the promise from the potential buyer, "Oh, I PROMISE I'll send it back once I'm done viewing it." Not to mention phone bills. My horse is very marketable and I'm asking a fair price but why does it seem that the people IN the market are not serious and just kicking tires?

A list of rules:

1)Don't go shopping for a horse that is out of your price range. Yes, we may come down but making ridiculous offers is a waste of your time and mine.

2)If you are sent a video, please return it if the seller asks for it. Just because you aren't interested, the seller could save a few extra $$$ by sending out the one you viewed to someone else that may be interested.

3)Please be on time for appointments to see the horse for sale. I'm taking time out of my busy schedule to accomodate you so be courteous and be on time.

4)If you want to ride my horse, that's fine but please do me a favor and if I say not to ride him into the ground, I'd appreciate it.

5)If you are NOT interested, please don't leave me hanging. You won't hurt my feelings because ultimately I want my horse to go to a perfect home so if he's not for you, then it's not a match. Simple as that. But I'd like to know at least.

I know I'll think of more later. But man, http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif I feel better already.

Now as a buyer. Here are my frustrations:

1)If I'm coming a good distance (2+ hours) to try a horse, I'd a appreciate a phone call before I leave telling me the horse has thrown a shoe and can't be ridden. Just because he's thrown a shoe doesn't mean I'm not interested anymore...let's just re-schedule!

2)You forgot I was coming and the horse is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there covered in mud??? Ummmmmmm...okay.

3)Don't go up on the price $5,000 on me in three days just because the horse did well in the show last weekend and not tell me until I get there to see him. You said $such and such amount and now the horse is out of my budget. Fine if you want to jack the price up, but call me first and let me know...it will save your time as well as mine.

Treat me with the respect that I've mentioned above and I promise I'll do the same to you.

Now, anyone care to add anything I've left out?

"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice." quote from the tv series M*A*S*H
    Visit my farm at www.hiddenrockfarm.com

Right now I'm a seller. Here's my vent. It infuriates me when someone e-mails me and asks a bunch of questions sounding very interested. I reply taking great care in giving detailed answers about my horse and think we may have a match. AND THEN NOTHING!!! I'm left hanging!! Not a "Thanks but no thanks" or no explanation. Let alone if I send videos out with the promise from the potential buyer, "Oh, I PROMISE I'll send it back once I'm done viewing it." Not to mention phone bills. My horse is very marketable and I'm asking a fair price but why does it seem that the people IN the market are not serious and just kicking tires?

A list of rules:

1)Don't go shopping for a horse that is out of your price range. Yes, we may come down but making ridiculous offers is a waste of your time and mine.

2)If you are sent a video, please return it if the seller asks for it. Just because you aren't interested, the seller could save a few extra $$$ by sending out the one you viewed to someone else that may be interested.

3)Please be on time for appointments to see the horse for sale. I'm taking time out of my busy schedule to accomodate you so be courteous and be on time.

4)If you want to ride my horse, that's fine but please do me a favor and if I say not to ride him into the ground, I'd appreciate it.

5)If you are NOT interested, please don't leave me hanging. You won't hurt my feelings because ultimately I want my horse to go to a perfect home so if he's not for you, then it's not a match. Simple as that. But I'd like to know at least.

I know I'll think of more later. But man, http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif I feel better already.

Now as a buyer. Here are my frustrations:

1)If I'm coming a good distance (2+ hours) to try a horse, I'd a appreciate a phone call before I leave telling me the horse has thrown a shoe and can't be ridden. Just because he's thrown a shoe doesn't mean I'm not interested anymore...let's just re-schedule!

2)You forgot I was coming and the horse is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there covered in mud??? Ummmmmmm...okay.

3)Don't go up on the price $5,000 on me in three days just because the horse did well in the show last weekend and not tell me until I get there to see him. You said $such and such amount and now the horse is out of my budget. Fine if you want to jack the price up, but call me first and let me know...it will save your time as well as mine.

Treat me with the respect that I've mentioned above and I promise I'll do the same to you.

Now, anyone care to add anything I've left out?

"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice." quote from the tv series M*A*S*H
    Visit my farm at www.hiddenrockfarm.com

Well, I have never sold a horse, and the only one I bought was the one I had been leasing for 5 years http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif so I don't have any personal experience. But I also know many people that have bought/sold, so I know what it is like.

It is the worst to be left hanging!!! My friend is trying to sell her horse, who is awesome and at a great price so he can find a good home. Well, people will call, act interested, and then ..... nothing. Same as you were saying. Do these people have no manners? Like you said, it also works on both ends, but do they think it is better to never be heard from? I personally feel it is just rude.

-Natalie

"All horses deserve, at least once in their lives, to be loved by a little girl."
    -Natalie

proud member of the MOOP clique (although I am now positive that I have a pony in my 15.3hh bodied horse)

\"All horses deserve, at least once in their lives, to be loved by a little girl.\"

Applesauce, I LOVE YOU! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif You said it all the best! I agree so much with everything, why can't people use common sense when horse buying?! It makes me maaaad... Why does what should be a fun experience have to be such an unecessary frustration and hassle?! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Deep space - corner of no and where (aka Texas)

The horse crazy teenagers who email constantly, begging you to sell your horse for $800, because "that's all I have saved".
    And then I always want to lecture them about how much more horses cost over and above the purchase price, etc.
    And the REALLY annoying thing is when they bug you constantly, even though you've explained repeatedly that this horse is not for beginners. ARGH!

The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM.

Book: If you take advantage of her, you\'re going to burn in a very special level of Hell, a level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater. Firefly

Well, I'm still learning too, but...
    Buyers:
    Please don't come down to view/try my green TB hunter and then ask if you can slap the western saddle on him to see how he likes it.
    Sellers:
    Don't call me three times before I've even viewed your horse to tell me how negotiable you are on the price and then when I finally agree to come to look at him tell me your price is firm because you've discovered that he can jump, (out of his paddock) http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

I try to write very concise, honest ads for any horse that I sell, and I hate it when someone bombards me with questions that clearly would be answered if they had just read the ad.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, and live as if you'll die tomorrow." -- James Dean

As a seller, I am trying to cut down my herd, to the bare bones, since I had a baby.

I wish people could read! I tell them most eveything they want to know in the ad, and I have described the horses is as truthfully as possible. And for my Forward going Foxhunter I get TONS of responses "is he suitable for my young child who has had 3 lessons?"

I also wish people could show up for appointments. I mean I don't even care if you are running late, but could you come? or at least call and cancel?

I have a couple horses for under $3500.00 I have e-mail pics on most of them, but there is no video. Is that so hard to understand? Do I really need to send a video across town when it would be faster for all of us if you just drove 20 min to see the horse?

I had a family come out to look at my breeding stallion, who has done nothing but breed since he got off the track, which I told them, and when they came out, the real story came to light... Their 14 y.o. wanted a stallion (for her first horse) because she "wanted a challenge". ??????

And don't ask me for thinks you wouldn't do yourself. A woman wanted to take one of my horses to Canada for a trial, for a month.

I mean the list goes on and on, and on and on.

I am totally frustrated trying to sell these horses, I just wish someone nice, who understands that sometimes horses don't get worked because life, and weather, happen to them, would come and buy them.

Thanks for the vent.

My vent (the main one) is when a horse is priced right out of his price range.....

Agents, don't you understand that 10% of SOMETHING is > 40% of NOTHING>?????

And I agree about being left hanging. Right now I have 2 videos out. Not a word from either person. And the third potential buyer at least called to say "No, Thanks" but never returned either the $160 video (so I had to buy another one from the high priced man at the show) or the $40 picture.....

What do they do with these things? Just throw them away???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I always live within my means, even if I have to borrow to do it.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

actually, we tape shows over them http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif the ER reruns have to go somewhere, you know.

Yatta!

I agree with FlyPony74...my biggest frustration is the buyer that does not read your ad. The most recent was my "60 days u/s, green, W/T/C lg. pony" ad that I received a call about asking if he was honest to the fences and suitable for short-stirrup.

"The World is not dangerous because of those who do harm but because of those who look at it without doing anything." Albert Einstein

[This message was edited by BelladonnaLily on Mar. 28, 2003 at 09:44 PM.]

Oh, I've been dying to see a topic on this. How about the people who DON'T respond to your e-mails? I have sent initial inquiries to 6 different owners of horses on the internet and received 2 responses! I sent one two months ago and received NO response - horse is still listed for sale. Another I sent over a month ago and again horse still listed for sale. Two I sent Monday and it is what Friday?

I am staying in or below my price range, and am honest about what I am looking for. If they don't think the horse is for me - just say so!

I guess they really don't want to sell the horse?

Thanks for letting me vent!

From a buyer's point of view, I would like a seller to suck it up and just say, "Thanks for coming to look" when I call to say I'm not interested. I have had various sellers ask me why I'm not interested, argue with me, start to cry, tell me I must not know anything if I don't want the horse, say they're going to have to have the horse put down if it's not sold RIGHT NOW... A person can get "phone shy" after experiences like this.

But I'd rather be the buyer than the seller.

As for people not doing a good job of reading the ads, I hope those who are complaining about that are not the ones who roll their eyes whenever someone on this board brings up the sad state of language skills shown here.

SillyHorse
    ~ Incredible as it may seem, my life is based on a true story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I have a little different outlook (now) because of all the puppies I've sold. Most of you will sell what?? two-three horses in your life? You really don't have the chance to get used to the idiocy of potential buyers. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

I used to get all excited when I recieved a promising phone call w/ what sounded like a great home. Then they wouldn't show up (and of course, never called). Or they'd come and love the puppy, and then say Well I know you're asking $XXX but I'd never pay that much for a dog. How about $250?" How about you just leave? Of course, what I really said is "I'm sorry we've both wasted our afternoon. Good luck on your search."

Any whoos, the point is now when someone calls, I have no expectations of a sale. I ask and answer basic questions and set up an appointment. I get their phone number, I call them to confirm the morning of the appt. If I don't get an answer, I leave a message, but don't hang around waiting for them if something better comes up. If I do reach them better than half have said, "Who? OH, umm yes, we were going to call you. Actually, we found a puppy yesterday." I've found by lowering my expectations of common curtesy to nothing, I'm never disappointed http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

My comfort is that any inconsiderate people like that don't deserve a Kryswyn puppy anyway http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

~Kryswyn~
    "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Here's a vent from a former horse shopper. I found a lovely young gelding after much searching. Before I decided to buy him, I went 'toad kissing', as in 'you have to kiss alot of toads before you find the handsome prince'.
    Tip to horse sellers: When I get there on time, express my appreciation for the care you took in getting the horse ready, ride at the level I said I could BUT express doubts on the match, tell you I don't think it's going to work DON'T STALK ME!! I told this person if I was changed my mind I would call and make another appointment. It's hard to tell people you just don't like their horse, especially when they tell you how awful horse shoppers are the whole time you are looking at the horse. I got tired of phone calls and 3 page emails criticizing me for not buying the horse or coming back.
    Horse shopping is a strange and wonderful thing!

Triosmom describes the seller who desparately needs money. For whatever reason, the sale of the horse is necessary now. The seller has *convinced* themselves that *this* buyer is THE ONE and the money problems will be over soon.

Then they're shattered and angry when the prospective buyer doesn't LEAP to write the check.

These sellers are also scarey when the horse doesn't pass the vet, because now their *salvation* is much less valuable and less desireable.

Very scarey.

~Kryswyn~
    "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Or How about 4 identical e-mails from the same person, to which you reply to each of them and than they don't even respond at all???

Applesause--this is soo my favorite subject right now!!
    And with my ongoing saga, my mare--now 6 weeks out from being shod without my consent or notification from the potential buyer--is still lame and will be out of being ridden for at least 5 more weeks at which point we will do another set of x-rays and push forth with the lawsuit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>5)If you are NOT interested, please don't leave me hanging. You won't hurt my feelings because ultimately I want my horse to go to a perfect home so if he's not for you, then it's not a match. Simple as that. But I'd like to know at least. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last time I was seriously horse hunting (as opposed to having a horse I HAD to buy appear, when I wasn't even looking), it took me 2.5 years. At any point up until I actually wrote the check and took Music home, there were 2 or 3 that I MIGHT have gone back to if nothein better appeared.

I wasn't intentionally "leaving them hanging", I just take a long tine to make up my mind.

As a buyer, I don't think I have an obligation to follow up on EVERY horse with a yes/no/maybe. Even if the horse is clearly a "NO", I am reluctant to say so if I think it will make the seller feel offended.

My usual comment is "I'll have to think about it" which could ean anything from "you got to be kidding" to "I can't wait to show the pictures to X and Y,a nd see if they think the horse is as great as I do".

Now, saying "I'll put a deposit in the mail tomorrow", and then disapearing off the face of the earth- that is BAD. But "leaving hanging" in general is just part of the process.

Janet
    chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle, and Brain
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

when selling my pony, the people took him on a supposedly 2-week trial. that extended to a month and a half. we finally had to force them to give us the check. we drove there with the trailer saying give us the check now, or the pony is ours

*Spring Break*
    *Simon*
    *Homie S*