The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Stirrup Leathers - which do you like?

So I'm in the market for some new leathers...I've got a pair of Marcel Toulouse's and I hate them, they are so hard to adjust and they get these awful marks on the hole I use so when I move my stirrups around you can see them.

Anyways, my requirements are come in 60" (I'm tall), prefer 1/2" between holes, and would like dark brown/Havana.

Anyone have these Passiers?
    http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,30.html

or these Collegiate?
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=4162

Any suggestions welcome, thank you!!

ETA: I just searched a second time and came up with a bunch of stirrup leather threads...sorry for the blonde moment but still open to suggestions!

I love my Prestige stirrup leathers. I have 60" ones for my dressage saddle, and they have a darker brown color available.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage.For.Life. View Post
    I love my Prestige stirrup leathers. I have 60" ones for my dressage saddle, and they have a darker brown color available.
    I use those also! Another thumbs up!!

I third the Prestige! Lovely butter-soft leather. I have pairs on both my dressage and hunter saddle. They wear well, and they are money well-spent.

[QUOTE=Riley0522;4656457]
    Anyone have these Passiers?
    http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,30.html
    /QUOTE]

I have the Passiers and I like them. They haven't stretched and they put the "soft" finished side of the leather on the outside so they don't scratch up your saddle. The German leather is quite durable.

That being said - when I was saddle shopping, I sat in a saddle with the Prestige leathers...and I was like..."Hello...who are you?!?!" Super soft and with the rivet tops - very, very nice. Made a mental note that they WILL be my next pair of leathers. In my new saddle, I can sometimes feel the bulk of the Passier leathers (the metal part) under my leg.

I recently bought the Passier lined leathers for my dressage saddle (although they also come in dark brown). They have 1/2" holes and come in 59". They are super soft and not at all bulky. At $79 they were a real bargain too. Thus far they get 2 thumbs up!

http://www.equusnow.com/prodview.asp?idProduct=1746

I like the Bates ones -- very soft and don't leave me with gory shin rubs like most stirrups do. I have had them for 5 years and no stretching -- but I also don't oil my leathers. Oil = stretch.

Check these out -
    http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,299.html

Collegiates with the half holes. I have and love them. Very soft, broke in immediately, and not bulky at all. I can't stand bulk under my leg!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Gary Mundy's...have bought three pair and will always go back to him when needed.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

courbettes. they are super durable and reasonably priced. they oil up very nicely. normally im not a fan of courbette but i trust their stirrup leathers!
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

MAS08 Guest

I also have the Bates stirrup leathers. LOVE THEM!! I bought the set I have years ago (at least since 04) and they look as good as new. Minimal stretch and I still get compliments on them. I previously had Beval ones which I hated and they fell apart...not to mention it was IMPOSSIBLE to change the stirrup length with them...and forget about getting them back on your saddle if you took them off. The Bates hold up great and are easy to change length (I jump one hole shorter than when I flat). HIGHLY recommended

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Gary Mundy's...have bought three pair and will always go back to him when needed.
    Just ordered mine ( or rather DD's LOl) and I can't WAIT to get them!!1
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

When's the beval sale? I got some super nice flat buckle stirrups from them last year at 50% off... I'd never have paid full price for them, but I absolutely love them.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

The Gary Mundy ones look gorgeous, and he stamps them with your initials?? I think I'm sold!

I purchased these Prestige leathers last summer, and so far I've been happy with them. They have not stretched and they darkened up nicely.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1265161765