The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

szistler Guest

Default Daily Dewormer

I am thinking about switching from a paste to a daily dewormer. Anyone use the daily? Do you rotate every X amount of days as you would a paste, or does it cover more species? Any other advice? TIA!

I'm not sure I like the idea of poison going in daily. It's enough we have to do it every 8-12 weeks but at least the immune system, liver, etc. has a chance to cope, rebuild, and rest in between.
    Monica
    www.horsefencedirect.com
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle ~ Winston Churchill

You still have to deworm with ivermectin twice a year, as DWs don't get bots.

You should still do a tapeworm treatment at least once a year, preferably twice. You can combine the 2 and use Equimax twice a year.

There is growing information about more and more resistance of parasites to daily dewormers.

The last couple of years, and especially the last year, has been chock full of the vet-in-the-know community going to a "deworm as needed" recommendation because of more esistance of more parasites to more of the chemicals.

IMHO, there are very, very few horses who actually benefit from a DW. You are doing your horse, and the horse community in general, a huge service if you go with strategic deworming.

I give Strongid C2x daily and use Equimax twice a year (spring and fall). Works great.

BTW MTM, it's "poison" to the worms, not the horse!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Daily DW for yearlings and two-year-olds, with 1x yr dose, Ivermectin and 1x yr dose with Zimecterin Gold for tapes.

Then they go on dewormer (rotated) paste every FOUR months.

Anyone coming in with an unknown history will get power-pac and then go on the regular program.

Some friends are in veterinary school, they convinced me to come off daily dewormer due to all the studies of resistance. I do a three way rotation 6x a year, depending on where you live, you can probably find a calendar with recommended wormers for your area.

Our farm had included daily DW in the board, and at the advice of the vet, has decided to stop it and go to fecal check/worm as needed due to resisitance, she just let us know this last week. I always stopped the ddw in the winter anyway.

Just ordered a daily from Smartpak and then found out from vet it is not recommended. Going back to rotational with fecal check.
    you look vaguely familiar.

"And somewhere -- wherever the racing gods live -- there was unabated laughter at this comeuppance. Karma's a Witch, babe, and so is the Triple Crown. "

Vets have been saying for YEARS that this tollerance buildup was coming. It's here now. My vet and alot of my friend's vets say you really should be doing a fecal and then targeting which kind of paste dewormer you use for what kind of worms they specifically have.

I guess the animal health drug companies won't be making as much money on paste dewormer in the future. I bet that when paste dewormer technology came availible, there was a push from them to get people to believe that they had to do the every 8 week rotation so they could sell more paste. I don't know, I wasn't around when this change in worming routine took place.

Do all of us a favor and stop using daily!!! There are no other effective drugs. We're all SOL when it stops working.