The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

katiekatie Guest

Default Rules question - suspended persons?

Got into a discussion about this at my barn last night, and was curious. I did look this up, or tried to, but my eyes crossed & I got lost in the USEF General Rules, and couldn't find anything relevant in the EV section. Help?

If someone was suspended by the USEF for doing something that required USEF membership, while NOT a member, can they still show at USEA Events? (Lower level only, Prelim & below)

Hmmm, that's confusing, let me add some hypothetical but similar detail.

Suzie serves as Show Secretary for a rated show - call it a Dressage show. She neglects to pay her USEF dues and doesn't realize it until the show is over and done & she gets a notice in the mail. She then forgets about the fine, and is subsequently suspended. She has not renewed her USEF membership at all, and has not been a member since 2008.

Can a non-member be suspended?

Can this suspended non-member compete Prelim at a USEA Event?

(I do believe the fine has been paid -or will be shortly- but she's got an Event this weekend... )

Organizers have to submit the rider list to USEA - so anything should come up in the computer about membership (in USEA) But Prelim falls under USEF even if you pay the non member fee. I would check with USEF just to make sure everything is OK.

As Prelim is a USEF recognized division, it is a USEF Licensed competition. If she is on the suspended list she is not even permitted on the grounds.

Being a non-USEF-member doesn't give you an out, as Barney Ward discovered when he took USEF to court.

You can search the suspended list here
    http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/Searche...Exhibitor.aspx
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Found the specific rule
    703.1.b (1) A suspended person is forbidden for the time specified in the decision from the
    privilege of taking any part whatsoever in any Competition licensed or endorsed by
    the Federation and is excluded from all competition grounds during Competitions
    licensed or endorsed by the Federation, as an exhibitor, participant or spectator.
    Since it says "Licensed or Endorsed" it applies to BN, N and T as well as to P and higher.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thanks Janet - don't know why I even tried to answer that one. I have heard that they (USEF) are forgiving if you just pay up.

Yes, I expect that once she pays up they will take her off the "suspended persons" list.
    Janet