The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

OK, here I was with my lastest Practical Horseman last night...with the kids in bed I was curled up on the couch with a bag of popcorn to indulge myself with some uninterrupted reading. Turned a page to see 3 graphic color photos from a Texas horse slaughter house, including one of a horse being clubbed in the head and another picture of draining the blood from a horse.

Anyone else bothered by the inclusion of these pictures? I understand such things happen in the world, but I REALLY do not care to have these pictures sprung on me...Practical Horseman has not used such graphic pictures to accompany articles before, so I was really caught offgard.

OK, here I was with my lastest Practical Horseman last night...with the kids in bed I was curled up on the couch with a bag of popcorn to indulge myself with some uninterrupted reading. Turned a page to see 3 graphic color photos from a Texas horse slaughter house, including one of a horse being clubbed in the head and another picture of draining the blood from a horse.

Anyone else bothered by the inclusion of these pictures? I understand such things happen in the world, but I REALLY do not care to have these pictures sprung on me...Practical Horseman has not used such graphic pictures to accompany articles before, so I was really caught offgard.

i also saw it last night and was caught off gaurd. and surprized that they put those graphic pics in.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Haven't got mine yet, thanks for the warning though. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif

good for them!
    Did PH grow a set recently?

I think every horseperson should be aware of the horrors of a horse slaughterhouse as long as they exist. It's so easy to look the other way isn't it?

"No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle..." Winston Churchill

I'm fully aware that slaughterhouses exist. Just don't prefer to see pictures of horses being clubbed to death, especially since the accompanying article covered the topic just fine. The photos were sensational and unnecessary, in my opinion.

Have already written to Practical Horseman, telling them that if they are now in the business of printing color picture brochures for ALF, et al, then they can cancel my subscription.

just because you are aware (and i'm presuming you've seen a slaughterhouse firsthand?) doesnt mean that the legions of other people have.

Kudos to PH. Perhaps i'll pick up my subscription again.

Yep, caught off guard and didn't appreciate it. PH is not a magazine that typically has anything controversial in it, and I usually read it to relax, not get upset about a tough call situation. That's what these boards are for! My thoughts were that I'm a big girl and can handle it, but there are little riders who may react differently do seeing blood drained from a dead horse. A giant red warning title might have been nice....

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

I'm going to get into trouble for writing this,... but I'm sorry. Here goes.

Excuse me folks. I know this may be disturbing, but that steak you ate last night? Well, do you think it was any different for the cow?

We eat meat that comes in little plastic packages in the grocery store ... and forget, or ignore, or deny that it once walked around on four hooves (or two scrawny feet ... e.g., chickens.)

If you don't like the pictures, stop the demand... e.g., stop eating meat.

By the way, I find it just as hard to stop eating meat. But I am trying to eat less and less ... for this very reason.

The adventure has begun...
    KT
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lisa Cook:
    Have already written to Practical Horseman, telling them that if they are now in the business of printing color picture brochures for ALF, et al, then they can cancel my subscription.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you mean by ALF??

I understand that slaughter houses exist and that we need to work harded to get them banned, but I dont think they should have put those pictures in! Young children read that magazine, and I think they dont enjoy seeing horse's being killed! I know I'am not going to read that magazine at all this month. That just ruined it for me!

-reppy-

http://community.webshots.com/user/sweedles

[This message was edited by replica on Jul. 24, 2003 at 01:48 PM.]
    --------
    \"I discovered I scream the same way whether I\'m about to be devoured by a Great White or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.\"
    -- Axel Rose
    --------
    My Pictures ....[url=http:/

The article was good but the photos upset me. I do know it exists but the article would have been fine on it's own.

Definitely would NOT want any child to see that and I'm sure quite a few of them look at that magazine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is nothing so grand as to fly on the back of a horse!
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Haven't gotten mine yet.. but I appreciate the warning. This is not what this magazine is about and they should not put that sort of graphic material in it. I think I will cancel my subscription. This is not why I have been getting this magazine for the past 15 years.

Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina!
    Sweet home

Timely, considering poor Ferdinand's fate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oldenburg Mom:
    __I'm going to get into trouble for writing this,... but I'm sorry. Here goes.__

Excuse me folks. I know this may be disturbing, but that steak you ate last night? Well, do you think it was any different for the cow?

We eat meat that comes in little plastic packages in the grocery store ... and forget, or ignore, or deny that it once walked around on four hooves (or two scrawny feet ... e.g., chickens.)

If you don't like the pictures, stop the demand... e.g., stop eating meat.

By the way, I find it just as hard to stop eating meat. But I am trying to eat less and less ... for this very reason.

__The adventure has begun...__
    KT
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK first off animals are slaughtered, yes that is a fact, i have not seen the pics so i cannot comment on that aspect of the converstaion, but animals must be HUMANLY killed, if they are not being done that way feel free to report the slaughterhouse for violations, the thing is, that humans need red meat, we always have and always will, most places you go to witness slaughter is very human, no longer do they string the animal up and let it die from blood loss...this DOSE NOT happen, and if you have witnessed it first hand, feel free to contact me and i will get the proper enforcement involved, there is a major misconception on what actually goes on inside a slaughter house as a Staff member of the Wi Beef Council i have more firsthand experience of what actually goes on than the general public.

~Patty~

You know sometimes I feel like running around naked, but then I drink some Windex and it keeps me from streaking
    ~Patty~

You know sometimes I feel like running around naked, but then I drink some Windex and it keeps me from streaking

I think it is good they included the picture, so that people are brought to be more aware of the problem. Not so much "out of sight, out of mind." Yes, it is greusome to look at...think how much worse it was for the horse! On the other hand, this publication is not necessarily about these sourts of issues, but I suppose it is an issue that directly or indirectly influences everyone in the horse world.
    "If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian."
    Paul and Linda McCartney

*CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> no longer do they string the animal up and let it die from blood loss <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Butchering of animals under Kosher guidelines requires the animal to be standing under its own power, no anaesthesia permitted, at the time its throat is cut. This has been problematic in several European countries where humane slaughter laws have existed for, in some places, the past century.

I say kudos to Practical Horseman! How many people on this bb alone "sell off" their aging equine in order to put "out of sight, out of mind?" How many times do you see ads for 18 year old schoolmasters? Where do you think they come from? If they're lucky, they'll have one or two more homes and then, guess what????? Many of them go for meat. Like it or not those are the facts. If you can't look at the pictures and face reality, perhaps you should take a more responsible role in where they end up. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif

Yes, I think it's horrid what happened to Ferdinand. Do I think it is entirely the fault of the final owner? Absolutely not. This horse won huge dollars for his ORIGINAL owner and it was his/their responsibility to ensure his future.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." ~Churchill~
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

my dad used to work in a slaughterhouse. he was telling me all about it last week. honestly, from what he described, the way cows are "done" (and it sounds like horses are done the same way) sounds as humane as you could possibly hope for. paraphrasing dad, "they walk up, stick their head through the hole (who knows why, but every last one of them did it, we didn't have to prod them or anything) and you'd whack them on the head and its lights out for the cow, they never saw it coming and didn't suffer." the pigs on the other hand... yikes! i am sure things have changed now, but in the 50's and 60's the pigs were done VERY gruesomely.

**triggerfoot's discount portrait barn**

"Police are forced to conceed that the blowtorch really was for making creme brulee after finding several of the desserts among the charred and smoking corpses." --the onion

Honestly, I was initally shocked by the pictures but I am glad they included them. Although I'd like to think that this didn't happen, I have always been aware of horse slaughter. The gruesome pictures certainly brought the issue to my attention-- my first thought was to what I could do to stop this from happening. If even a few people are "shocked" into supporting the cause, then I think it's worth it.

I do, however, agree that the pictures might be not be appropriate for young kids.