The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Prince Harry Unseated

Tight Polo Turn: FAIL

Click the link to see the video:

http://www.wsbtv.com/irresistible/22400674/detail.html

STORY:

Prince Harry, one of the sons of Prince Charles and Princess Diana, rolled on the ground after the horse he was riding during a polo match fell.

Video shows the member of the royal family trying to make a play on the ball. His horse falls to the ground, and he rolls off.

Afterward, he appears angry or frustrated, gesturing as he walks off the field.

CNN reported that an anonymous donor offered to give $100,000 to charity if Harry stayed in the saddle the entire match.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I saw that on the news this morning. It was actually a pretty bad fall - tight turn at fast speed, horse's legs went out right from under him and WHAM. If memory serves he was able to roll out of the way and jump right up.

All I could think of was that he was lucky to be young and extremely fit. His response time seemed to be really fast and he's nimble.

A middle aged weekend warrior would have gone splat and stayed there, maybe.

Afterward, he appears angry or frustrated, gesturing as he walks off the field.

Appears? He only appears to be angry or frustrated?

He also appears to not be wearing a helmet.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are."
    "Pocket Aces" Vegas
    "Sergeant Pepper" Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Appears? He only appears to be angry or frustrated?

LOL, yeah right?! But since the purpose of the whole visit was to raise money, I guess I'd be frustrated and angry to see $100,000 in donation money slip away too.

Wow, hissy fit much? Dude, your horse fell, no need to pitch a fit and throw your mallet - you were the one steering, remember??

(and yes I have been very mad when I have done something stupid, but even I know better than to throw things around in public and I'm not even royalty!)

eta: I would not expect to see anyone stay on when a horse falls like that & wouldn't consider that as him 'not staying in the saddle'. To me that means he falls off - not the horse falls too...
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post

All I could think of was that he was lucky to be young and extremely fit. His response time seemed to be really fast and he's nimble.

A middle aged weekend warrior would have gone splat and stayed there, maybe.

besides it's the falls that make you a better rider anyway

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Doesn't seem particularly concerned about the horse, does he?

He's an arrogant ass IMO. Maybe he should have been on a donkey - oh, no, that would have confused the crowd - an ass riding a donkey!

His behavior doesn't surprise me, given some of this previous behavior.

He was wearing a helmet, but took it off and threw it down.

About time that the monarchy was abolished and the ridiculous amount of money given to support them and their staff used for other worthy means - also IMO. Want me to tell you how I really feel? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ika View Post
    He also appears to not be wearing a helmet.
    Really? I see a helmet.

And is it possible that the tantrum is because he was fouled? It seems he's gesticulating and trying to make a point with someone - perhaps one of the officials?

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyTwo View Post
    Really? I see a helmet.

And is it possible that the tantrum is because he was fouled? It seems he's gesticulating and trying to make a point with someone - perhaps one of the officials?
    That's what I was thinking, too.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    Doesn't seem particularly concerned about the horse, does he?
    If you had ever played polo, you would realize that is the grooms job. And a fairly well paid job it is, too. Can't tell if he was fouled, not enough video and not very high quality.

You have a different relationship with horses when you have a string of 8. Not saying it's right. Just saying it is.

Sometimes you just can't help a fall. Horses get cut off, horses trip, etc.

Player's ID card used to have a spot for "Number of Concussions". Not if, but how many. Don't know if it still does, though. It's a rough sport, for horses as well as humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    About time that the monarchy was abolished and the ridiculous amount of money given to support them and their staff used for other worthy means - also IMO. Want me to tell you how I really feel? :-)
    Gee....how very political of you - are you even a Brit? Perhaps all of the organizations which receive money, assistance and other benefits from the royal family might feel differently....worth considering. They have also made a number of positive contributions to TB racing both in Europe and NA.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

i thought he handled the fall very well - he rolled out of the way and jumped right up. If it was me - I'm sure my legs would have been under the horse, it would have rolled over on me somehow and I would still be laying there...

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    Gee....how very political of you - are you even a Brit? Perhaps all of the organizations which receive money, assistance and other benefits from the royal family might feel differently....worth considering. They have also made a number of positive contributions to TB racing both in Europe and NA.
    Dee
    Actually yes - I am British.

Perhaps if they didn't have the amount of money that they get out of the taxpayers coffers there might be more to go around to all those organisations. How terribly generous of them to take a little amount of the money that they get from the taxpayers and make themselves look so very magnanimous by handing it out again. God Bless The Queen!

Anyway, Harry was wearing a helmet, shame - might have smacked some sense into his head. Glad the horse looked like it got up OK.

When I saw the video I thought "thank you sweet Lord for making me unimportant beyond my family." That means the world won't ever see, or care to see, video bloopers of my horsemanship or mishaps.

FTR, those polo ponies are all nice looking athletes!! I noticed the bay jigging in place waiting for Harry to get off the playing field.

Gee - somebody got a chip on their shoulder?

Nasty fall.

And as another Brit, I don't want to see the monarchy abolished. The Prince's Trust has done a lot of good for causes close to my heart.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I'd be pissed too if I lost the chance to get $100,000 for my charity.

He shouldn't have thrown the mallet but I'm sure it was an adrenalin rush, this come from a girl who got yellow carded playing varsity tennis for throwing her racket

Found more info on another site:

Prince Harry:

"I'm a bit sore but it was all for a good cause so it was worthwhile in the end. Basically the horse slipped from underneath me, which does happen occasionally and is a but unfortunate.

It probably looks very dramatic because I was trying to throw myself clear of the horse. I'm a bit sore but the horse is ok though."
    "The reason why I was throwing my mallet down was because I met this nice businessman at dinner last night who offered me $50,000 for Sentebale if I fell off my horse today. His wife turned round and said 'that's a bit harsh, you should give him $100,000 if he stays on.' And he agreed to seal the deal on that.
    So when I fell off, I threw down my mallet and shouted: "What a waste of $100,000!" I was furious with myself. Fortunately this extremely generous gentleman has already been in touch and told us that it was the clear that the horse fell over, rather than I fell off it, so he was happy to honour the $100,000. What a star!

It's been an exhausting trip - I feel like I have been here a month not two days - but absolutely rewarding."
    Harry was playing for Sentebale, a charity which he co-founded in memory of the late Princess Diana to help Aids orphans in Lesotho.