The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Peg D Guest

Default 6.7 Dodge Cummins CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED for 07's 08's 09's

If you own one of these trucks then you KNOW what the problem is. If you know someone that has one of these, please forward this to them. Every single 6.7 on the road has this problem and Chrysler is doing nothing for the consumer. Every time you even drive this truck with this exhaust on it - you are basicly ruining your engine. They are not cheap to replace. There is NO WAY these engines will last the 500,000 miles that they should. Prolly won't even get to 100,000 .... We all spent anywhere from 46K to 56K for this junk they sold us. All in the name of emissions.
    Anyway. Here is the info.
    Thanks for reading.
    http://www.mycarlady.com/2010/01/29/...lawsuit-filed/

http://www.crafthugheslaw.com/ (the last item on the list of suits is the questionare to fill out) . Dodge 6.7 Diesel.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by Peg D; Feb. 2, 2010 at 03:52 PM.

I have an '04 and haven't had any issues with it. What are the issues with the newer models?

I have a 97 and an 06. No issues with either truck. The 97 has 164K miles on it.

Lawsuit is for 2007 – 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 Cummins 6.7L Diesel and is related to the emission control, particularly the diesel particulate filter (“DPF”).

Odd. We have two of these and I don't know what the problem is.

ETA oh thanks MT.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Looks like cummins and dodge try to meet new emissions requirements and get screwed in the end.

That sucks.

Ill stick with my 5.9L with no emissions equipment on it.

Peg D Guest

Yes. .... thank you Mare Tails..........I am so sorry I did not include the years this suit is for. My apologies.... 2007, 2008 and 2009. Not sure about the 10's.... don't know if they fixed this or not on those. Remains to be seen.
    And - for the record the cummins is an OUTSTANDING MOTOR. Don't make the mistake of blaming cummins for something that Chrysler did to this motor without checking with Cummins.... I am sure Cummins is not happy about getting a bad rap with this. This is all Chryslers doing.
    As for sticking with the 5.9? We would have also, but were told because we want the long box, with the 4 doors and dually... we HAD to get the 6.7....
    We shall see how this goes.

After spending an hour so so wandering around Dodge truck blogs and fan sites there apprears to be one, CarLady, campaigning about DPF (diesel particulate filter) issues in 2007-2009 trucks. There's no "buzz" in any of the "fan"groups over this. Indeed, in anything, she's been "shilling" for a law firm in Houston that wants to sign up clients in the class action that they've filed over the issue.

I've written to three friends of mine who have these trucks and, at least as late as last September, thought they were the best thing sincle bottled beer! Not a one had any issues with their DPF.

Looking at CarLady's site, she does say that the problem she's concerned about results from excessive idling (more than 20% of run time) in that when the engine is at idle it does not generate enough heat to force the "regen" process that cleans the DPF. There was also a problem in the earlier model turbos that allowed a "soot" buildup. Both these issues have been addressed in the 2010 models (at least according to Dodge).

The reason I find the problem a bit "odd" is that when it's compared to the Ford 6.0L problems, the "public" complaints are almost non-existant. The public complaints about the 6.0L Fords were loud and common.

So maybe it's a problem and maybe it isn't. I'm not going to spend any more time "researching." If you've got one of the '07-'09 6.7L Dodges then you know if you've been suffering issues. Maybe folks who use them mostly for hauling or highway driving don't have the issues 'cause they don't idle much. Or not.

G.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    After spending an hour so so wandering around Dodge truck blogs and fan sites there apprears to be one, CarLady, campaigning about DPF (diesel particulate filter) issues in 2007-2009 trucks. There's no "buzz" in any of the "fan"groups over this. Indeed, in anything, she's been "shilling" for a law firm in Houston that wants to sign up clients in the class action that they've filed over the issue.

I've written to three friends of mine who have these trucks and, at least as late as last September, thought they were the best thing sincle bottled beer! Not a one had any issues with their DPF.

Looking at CarLady's site, she does say that the problem she's concerned about results from excessive idling (more than 20% of run time) in that when the engine is at idle it does not generate enough heat to force the "regen" process that cleans the DPF. There was also a problem in the earlier model turbos that allowed a "soot" buildup. Both these issues have been addressed in the 2010 models (at least according to Dodge).

The reason I find the problem a bit "odd" is that when it's compared to the Ford 6.0L problems, the "public" complaints are almost non-existant. The public complaints about the 6.0L Fords were loud and common.

So maybe it's a problem and maybe it isn't. I'm not going to spend any more time "researching." If you've got one of the '07-'09 6.7L Dodges then you know if you've been suffering issues. Maybe folks who use them mostly for hauling or highway driving don't have the issues 'cause they don't idle much. Or not.

G.
    I agree with you. We just bought an 09 Ram 2500 close out. Love it. We bought it at a dealership 300 miles away, easiest deal we've ever done.

We took it into the local dealership and had a leveling kit put on, the plug for the block heater, ordered running boards, and they updated some computer stuff.

We checked with several diesel mechanics before buying it and they all said it was a great truck. They have upped the idle to fix some of those issues, you should use your exhaust brake to help keep stuff cleared out and don't baby it along. DRIVE the truck. We got a manual, so that makes it easier to run up the rpms.

We are FORD people, decided against the Ford engines, too many documented problems.

Will let you guys know in a few months, but I am betting we will love this truck.

I frequent on of the cummins websites and i havent heard of any issues with the 6.7l in regards to this class action lawsuit.

What i HAVE heard and seen firsthand is that mileage with the new 6.7 is just not as good as the old 5.9l. this is mainly due to the DPF. Remove the DPF and substantial mileage increases will come. I know a few that have hundreds of thousands of miles on the new 6.7l with no problems at all (virtually all these miles are towing miles too.)

Personally my next vehicle will definitely be a dodge, but i might stick with a used 5.9l. we shall see how long my current one goes...300k miles and counting!

My correspondants pretty much all said the same thing: they had some issues, took the truck to the dealer, a software change was made, and the problem "went away." They are completely happy with them.

I still gave them a bad time about not buying a real truck but they took it in stride.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by craz4crtrs View Post

We checked with several diesel mechanics before buying it and they all said it was a great truck. They have upped the idle to fix some of those issues, you should use your exhaust brake to help keep stuff cleared out and don't baby it along. DRIVE the truck. We got a manual, so that makes it easier to run up the rpms.
    very good advice, blow out that soot!!

As nice as the new ones are, I'll stay with the old '96 with the 5.9 and the P-pump (only a little bit bombed )
    That old flatbed will get up on her hind legs and RUN.

Of course, there are days that AC and four doors would be pretty nice, but hey - she's also PAID FOR.
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of quality Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Angry HATE our 2009 3500

Quote Originally Posted by craz4crtrs View Post
    I agree with you. We just bought an 09 Ram 2500 close out. Love it. We bought it at a dealership 300 miles away, easiest deal we've ever done.

We took it into the local dealership and had a leveling kit put on, the plug for the block heater, ordered running boards, and they updated some computer stuff.

We are FORD people, decided against the Ford engines, too many documented problems.

Will let you guys know in a few months, but I am betting we will love this truck.
    I sure hope you have a much better experience than we have had. We bought our truck brand new in October 2009, paid $54,000 for it. The following March, the transmission went out at 9000 miles, and it took Dodge 7 weeks to send the shop a new one, although, in their defense, there were some major snowstorms. Still...seven weeks? During that time we about $12,000 from not being able to use it.

"I last had my truck in the shop September 9, 2011. It has been in the shop about once a month. Here'swhat the paperwork says "Customer states engine loses power when driving. No warning lights on - see history. Occoured three diffrent times from X to X (about fifteen miles of highway). Scanned for codes, none found. Idle fluctuates at times. EGR valve dirty and sticking. Diesel paiculate filter restricted. Oxygen sensors full of soot and temp sensor siezed to particulate filter, ect."

I thought I had just bought a lemon until an attorney sent me the paperwork for the class action a week later. Hopefully he will get paid and they will extend the warranty on my piece of junk.
    Oh...and I was on the last leg of a ten hour drive, forty-five miles from home last Saturday when, again, no power to accelerate whatsoever. I have 36,100 miles on it, and couldn't even get home, which happened to be the nearest town. I though it was never going to get power back. No cell service, three kids under four in the middle of no where while it was snowing. Luckily my husband came looking for us. The truck is scheduled to go back into the shop Wednesday morning. Not that I think the problem will get fixed. *Sigh*

Last but not least (sorry, forgot about this one) they can't seem to figure out why the RPMs jump up while we are sitting at a stopsign/light. Started happening the second week we had it.

Lots of misinformation in this post, so develop your own opinions. Here are some facts:
    1. EPA mandated reduced tailpipe emissions on diesel engines (including over-the-road trucks) beginning with 2007 models.
    2. To allow the emissions control devices needed to meet these specs, ultra-low sulfur diesel (<15 ppm sulfur) was mandated for all on-road vehicles AT THE REFINERY beginning mid summer, 2006, allowing 6 months to phase in/flush out the LSD from the distribution systems.
    3. Soot/smoke/particulates on 2007 and later models were addressed in almost all cases by particulate traps. These traps inject diesel fuel to increase temperature during regeneration cycles which burn off the trapped soot; this is one of the major reasons all 2007 and later diesels have lower fuel efficiency than earlier enginers. Dodge, Ford, and Chevy all used same/similar technology (and still do). As noted, there were several programming issues with the original installations, but there is very little way this could have impact on engine reliability.
    4. 2011 and later diesels add controls for NOx emissions. Ford and Chevy use selective catalytic reduction (SCR) which injects Urea ("Diesel exhaust fluid" - DEF) to convert the smog forming NOx to gaseous nitrogen. Dodge was able to meet NOx emissions with tuning and other tricks, which you can guarantee will cost some efficiency/performance - there aint no such thing as a free lunch. Chevy has had minor problems with their DEF level monitoring, which appears to have been solved with a programming change.

None of this is an attempt to cheat anyone or other nefarious activities. It's intended by the EPA to give us cleaner air (ever been behind an older diesel pulling away from a traffic light --- cough, cough!!!), and every time there's something significantly new there's always growing pains. In almost all cases, the growing pains have been well handled; remember that ALL of the engine manufacturers must meet the same requirements and most meet them in very similar ways.

Doubt any of this is related to CM01 problems. Unfortunately, lemons occur even in excellent vehicles like the Dodge. If it's any consolation, I bought a Ford 6.0L in 2006 (and was "guaranteed they had worked out the bugs") because I knew the issues coming with the tailpipe treatments. It actually was a GREAT truck, still my favorite hauler - when it ran. Ford was very good to honor their warranty every time, but that's not much solice at 3:00 a.m. stranded in West Virginia or Indiana. I traded it for a 2011 Chevy Duramax 3 months before the warranty expired, so now I'm dealing with DPF and DEF that I tried to avoid!!!!

My 2008 2500 (~ 30K miles) is in the shop getting a new turbo.... Took it in due to repeated yellow check engine light coming on.... Was originally told to drive at highway speed with exhaust brake on.. this did seem to help, but problem kept happening... Diagnostics said turbo problem, so they are replacing that..... We'll see how it performs now...

I am pretty sure we have the 5.9 though, not the 6.7

I have received letters from lawyers looking for folks for a class action suit for this problem though..... didn't respond...
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Wish there was a class action suite for the 6.0 Ford diesels

HI MyCarlady here. an update on the Cummins Diesel DPF problem in the 2007-2010 models. For those of you with this truck, you know the turbos get clogged, the regen light is always on or FULL, and the dealers have been less than enthusiastic about fixing any of it for free. The pending effort to have a large class-action lawsuit against Chrysler has been settled this past year, in an out of court settlement between the initial plaintiffs and Chrysler, for an undisclosed amount of money. The judge had determined there was legitimacy to the case, but the complexity of the issues and number of plaintiffs with varying complaints made it a very complex case to move forward as a class.
    That said, many Dodge 6.7 owners have pursued Chrysler on their own with varying degrees of success. Some have gotten warranties for the life of the truck, others claim to have been paid off. There is a huge re-emergence of issues as these trucks have circulated into the used truck market where second owners are just now realizing what they bought.
    You can read about the problems and comments from the owners on the Mycarlady dot com website under any link for DODGE, DPF, 6.7 etc. the link above does not work. but this one covers some of the earlier posts http://www.mycarlady.com/2010/07/20/...-dpf-problems/

I will be happy to keep you posted on any news about these trucks. The new fixes in 2011 seem to have fixed the idling issue which created so much carbon, but the fuel economy is still poor, for a diesel. The new all-aluminum frame Ford could be quite interesting if they build it in the diesel in 2015-16... so watch for my product review on that truck once it comes out. Thanks for listening. sorry for the broken link. Sarah Lee aka MyCarlady

Diesel Particulate Filters are a problem on 08 Fords as well. Mine clogged up a few months ago. My F450 is out of warranty and it was going to be $2,000 to replace so I bought a kit from http://www.gearboxz.com/ (they make Kits for Dodge also). Pretty easy DIY project. I removed the DPF, added replacement pipe, installed computer module (easy plug in by dash) and haven't looked back. Truck runs better than ever and I got a big increase in power and and 4.5 MPG increase!

Default DPF question

This has nothing to do with the lawsuit. But I do have a DPF question.

I just purchased an 08 2500 Duramax. Love the truck except for the MPG. Have been considering an exhaust overhaul with a DFP deletion.

This should improve the MPG correct? Without doing any damage to the truck? No need to worry about it creating other problems?

What is the best programmer to buy? Eventually we will want to put gauges in.