The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ethyl Alcohol Injection for fusing fetlock

I did a search and didn't really find what I was looking for on Coth. In searching the internet on articles about ringbone, ethyl alcohol injections where mention to help fuse the joint. It is still experimental. I know there is more success in the hock joints with this, but anyone have any experience with the fetlock joint and ethyl alcohol injections? From what I understand, it is not as successful b/c of all the movement in this joint.

Are you talking about the pastern? I don't know of any way to successfully fuse a fetlock with an injection....only with an arthrodiesis.

Thanks animaldoc. Just curious. I don't think going into the pastern area is an option at this point b/c of an infection I have to deal with first. The joint is already trying to fuse. Just looking at all my options. I have another post with the mares x-rays already on this forum.

It works well in the hock because it is a low motion joint. In the fetlock, there is too much motion, so without stabilization you wouldn't be able to fuse it. Are you considering fusing the fetlock?
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

I've heard of this. It was recommended we try it in my gelding with ringbone, but we haven't done it yet. Don't know if my vet is comfortable with it. I bought a bottle of Everclear to use if we ever get around to it. (Seriously.)

We did try injecting him with a steroid about two years ago, and it did nothing.

This horse is pasture sound and has had the ringbone for four-plus years. I think it's from an old injury. Corta-flex pellets help him a lot.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."