The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default trainers / BOs - how many school horses do you have / how big is your lesson program?

I was just curious how many lesson horses trainers have relative to the size of their lesson program. I was also curious how many lessons the schoolies do each week.

I'm just honestly curious how may horses are needed for different size lesson programs.

As we are opening a lesson/training/boarding barn soon I am curious as to the answer to this question as well so ....bumping it up!

I'm not an owner/manager, but I'm pretty sure where I take lessons that I was told the schoolies aren't used in more than 2 lessons a day, and they all have at last 2-3 days off per week. Looking at the lesson schedule when I go to ride, it seems pretty rare that any are used twice a day.

And it's a decent sized program - I'd say there are like 12 lessons a day (among 3 instructors), and about 20 schoolies?

The barn I rode/taught at from age 7-20 had between 21-27 lesson horses and we taught approximately 250 students per week. They rode in groups of eight for an hour at a time. The horses were not "useful" in our program unless they could do three lessons a DAY on our busiest days.

I used to teach 45-60 lessons a week 5 days with 8 full time schoolies, and 2 that were clients horses that I "half leased" to use for lessons.

My horses generally did 2 lessons/day, and got at least one day off, and sometimes 2 days. I moved my program when my former partner/BO thought that those same schoolies should be doing 90 lessons a week, working every day of every week.

I now have 4 and 1/2 schoolies and do about 20 lessons/week.

Incidently, I have had the some of the same schoolies for over 10 years, and they are competitve at the rated and local shows. I even had one that was champion in the Pre-Childrens at an "AA" show last summer.

Can you tell how much I love my schoolies?
    West of nowhere

1 members found this post helpful.

We have around 5 used in lessons regularly, plus a couple that we just use for beginner/flat lessons. I would say the most any of ours do is 5 lessons a week. Rarely do any of ours go more than 1x per day. I think we have around 50 lessons a month plus IEA practices, some of these being clients on privately owned horses or ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    The barn I rode/taught at from age 7-20 had between 21-27 lesson horses and we taught approximately 250 students per week. They rode in groups of eight for an hour at a time. The horses were not "useful" in our program unless they could do three lessons a DAY on our busiest days.

Wow! Thats a lot of students! Where did you ride, if you dont mind me asking? Sounds like a real good barn to learn the ropes at..
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue_Rider9 View Post
    Wow! Thats a lot of students! Where did you ride, if you dont mind me asking? Sounds like a real good barn to learn the ropes at..
    Crystal Manor Stable in Woodstock, IL.

Sorry, I'm a Middle TN transfer.

I haven't found a barn in this area that functions as efficiently as my old one does!

i have 5 school horses, for various skill levels. We figure that in order for a schoolie to 'pay for itself' it needs to do 4 lessons per week. most do 5-6, they all get at least one day off per week, and very very rarely does one go more than once per day.